quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Electronic Cigarettes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imaginationx

Quit Date:
March 27, 2009

PostPosted: March 25, 2009 12:23 PM    Post subject: Electronic Cigarettes? Reply with quote

First off.....hellllooooo everyone...Im the new guy Embarassed

Second, I am looking for some real experiences from people who have tried electronic cigarettes to help quitting. I saw these on the news, and they looked super cool. Im thinking about buying one, but would like some feedback first.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses.
Jason
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 25, 2009 2:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jason, and welcome to woofmang. Sorry, I've never heard of electronic cigarettes. Sounds like an interesting concept, though. My only concern is switching one habit for another. However, we all have to quit the way that works best for us. I wish you the best. It's nice to have you here.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
LemonDrop

Quit Date:
January 19, 2009

PostPosted: March 25, 2009 2:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jason

An electronic cigarette is just a different way of delivering nicotine so I personally don't think it's a good idea to help with quitting. Why would you take nicotine when you are trying to quit taking nicotine?

That said we all have to find our own way so why not visit whyquit.com and some of the other links at the top of this page to learn about nicotine addiction - I found that once I knew what I was fighting it was much easier to fight.

Best wishes
Lisa
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 26, 2009 12:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site, jason!

i'm not a big fan of quitting aids in general, and the electronic cigarette thing sounds like the worst one yet; not only does it keep you hooked on nicotine, it reinforces the habit end of it, too. i'd steer clear of it.

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: March 27, 2009 3:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi new guy! Smile
welcome. we will help in any
way we can but if what im reading
is true, its too much like smoking
to even quit.
try something else, or cold turkey?
we are here for you!!

My avatars name is moon ray
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2009 12:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason, Welcome to the best stop smoking site ever! Work the program at FFS Read the tales here at this site. Stay close to the baords. All of the help you need to quit is here. My advice: don't spend one more dime on feeding the Scowling Demon electronic or not.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2009 11:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

I've never heard of the electronic cigarette but from what I gather it resembles what I used to quit which was the nicotine inhaler. I stopped using it after being quit for 3 months. It was the way I quit and I've tried many times before with other alternative methiods with no success before. I would say whatever works for a person than go for it. Every quit is different.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: March 31, 2009 11:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason
I too am one who does not favor any sort of NRT. I support cold turkey all the way, the best way to quit is to quit the addictive substance, in this case it is our demon nicotine. Be strong, Be tuff.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 2, 2009 11:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry...it was my soap box...didn't mean to offend

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Last edited by Kissimee on April 3, 2009 10:13 AM; edited 1 time in total
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 2, 2009 5:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand to mouth addiction hasn't killed anyone yet as long as there is no substance being in that hand.

I am living proof that NRT can and does work for some. I used the nicotine inhaler and like I've said before I gave it up after 3 months after quitting.

In my opinion if someone wants to use a NRT there should be support for their choice and not a debate on whether it is right or wrong.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 14, 2009 10:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Imagine. Congrats on quitting. How is it going tonight? When the going gets rough remember, hang tuff and don't puff. And remember HALT. HALT lets us know why we have craves to smoke.

H - hunger
A - anger
L - loniness
T - tired

When you feel these work on doing something about them instead of smoking.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2009 3:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Long time no talk. I was just passing through and saw this thread. I know that it is old, but I have seen this person on other sites.

One thing that upsets me is when people try to take advantage of a person's desperation to make a buck off of them. And the latest trend is this E Cigarette.

This person is phishing, as I have seen on other sites. Someone comes on, innocently asks about these "great new e- cigarettes", gets someone's attention who then asks them about the product and viola! Next thing you know the person replies with a convenient website where you can purchase the e cigarette.

Anyone out there that is trying to quit smoking and sees this as a "great alternative or compromise" stop and think about it. This is not quitting smoking. We are not addicted to smoking. We are addicted to nicotine. And while theoretically these may seem safer than regular cigarettes. Keep in mind that nicotine itself is poison that is almost twice as deadly drop for drop than the Diamond Head Rattlesnake's poison and almost three times as deadly as arsenic. 60mg will kill a full grown man. It takes 100mg of rattlesnake poison to do the same.

The adverse effects of nicotine itself with raising the heart rate and causing the artieries to constrict should also be considered, not to mention that since nicotine has the ability to fit the smoker's adrenaline locks which causes the body to activate the fight or flight mechanism the latest study has shown that nicotine may be a cause of essentially burning out the adrenaline gland which can throw the body out of whack. And the fact that latest research has indicated that nicotine itself may cause some forms of cancer.

If anyone cares to use NRT's to quit smoking. Then I would suggest to follow the instructions, but this e- cigarette is a gimmick. As already stated, not only does it not help people to quit smoking, but most likely reinforces smoking by creating a false sense of "smoking safely". Which in my opinion will only cause the person to fall back onto real cigaretts whenever they are faced with stress or they need that extra hit.

One of the things that most people don't realize and these gimmicks take advantage of is that nothing out there will make you quit smoking. There is not one NRT or pill, or even cold turkey that will make a person change their mind about smoking. The cure is in the mind. Nothing outside the mind can change its beliefs. The belief in the cigarette is the cause and to change the cause is where real lasting change will take place. Everything else is simply dealing with effects.

It is one thing to change behavior and of course we must do that, but most importantly we must change our thoughts.

Only by changing your mind can you change your life.

This is also an article on the e-cigarette. It really isnt as safe as it is made out to be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/22/AR2009072202902.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Take care,

Eric

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2009 3:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was the one who used just about everything out there to quit and made it...however, the bottom line is at some point you have to walk the path alone...I am ashamed to say it took me forever to hear Kevin telling me that....I feel that fear in the main reason most people turn to NRT in the first place ...I was so afraid of failing and I did not want to die....so I was botching up my own quit...once I got the strength I needed from all the support, I was able to soar.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2009 7:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have tried just about everything under the sun to quit smoking. As a matter of fact, for the first two days or day and a half I used the patch.

It was on the 2nd day when I couldn't stand it any longer and was about to give up and buy a pack of cigarettes did I first decide to hop onto the computer and search for some "miracle product" to maybe help me quit in the future. I think that I decided that to try and relieve the guilt I was feeling for yet again failing for the 100th time. I ended up stubling upon WhyQuit.com and I never did make it to the store and I also ripped off my patch right then.

I absolutely agree. It is fear that plays the lead role in this picture. Fear, its what keeps us smoking when we want to quit. It's what gave me anxiety attacks the first day and half of my quit, before I started to read about nicotine addiction and it is also the reason why I have tried just about every prodeuct under the sun to try and quit.

And fear comes as a double edge sword. The fear of failure( nicotine is too powerful over me) for me to overcome this addiction and the fear of success(life is going to suck without smoking). Both are beliefs and come to find out after learning about nicotine addiction, were pretty innacurate beliefs.

But to clarify. My post wasn't about NRT vs cold turkey. That arguement is too old and also there is a lot of misperceptions in it. Like people that quit cold turkey have some super human strength and people that quit with NRT's feeling that they have to defend their quit as legitimate. I've seen this arguement over and over again. But the truth is, cold turkey quitters are not as "strong" as they may think and the NRT quitters are not as "weak willed" as they may think. There are downsides to both methods and NRT quitters may not realize just how much stronger they are than they think they are.

and in the end, everyone will quit cold turkey anyway. I can say for myself that I quit with education, with a side of cold turkey. For without the education I'm almost 100% sure my quit wouldn't have went anywhere as I have tried to quit CT before plenty of times. It wasn't the CT that helped me quit it was removing the main symptom that was the roadblock to my freedom and that was the fear and I did it with education. For it completely changed how I thought about cigarettes. It changed the cause.

My issue with this thread has nothing to do with NRT's and everything to do with people exploiting other people's fear and desparation when it comes to this addiction by trying to make money off of them without the slightest concern with even helping them.

This phishing has been going on for some time and I have seen this person on other sites with the same exact shtick and when asked about this, viola, the response is a link to the website for more info and purchase.

People are more than free to use these ECigarettes if they want, but for people to exploit others and go onto quit smoking sites where the sole purpose is to quit smoking (not semantically, but for real) and try to lure new quitters that are on shaky ground with a " miraclle compromise" to me is a bit unethical and kind of low on the moral ladder.

As you see, this guy has only one post. So I just want to point out these people, so that people here can save their support for someone who is really trying to quit and not waste it on someone who is really trying to sell a product and make a buck off of people.

The main problem with the ECigarette is that it is not about quitting smoking. It is the attempt of a "safe alternative to ingesting nicotine" A pothead that starts using a water vapor bong is certaintly not freeing themselves from Marijuana. Just as a person that uses an ECiagrette is not quittting smoking, unless they choose to use semantics and semantics are for people that really don't have a solid foundation for their arguement.

Imagine an alcoholic and a product suddenly came out that the person could either take a pill or eat or inhale or even inject alcohol and they used that product. Semantically, the person has quit drinking, yet they still suffer from alcoholism. But here is the thing. How long do you think that a person would use this alternative tool to ingest alcohol, before they went off of the alternative wagon and said screw it and grabbed the bottle again? Thus putting them back to where they started.

This is where I see this ECigarette gimmick. How long would it take, before the person would say screw it and buy a pack of smokes? The ECigarette doesn't give the same kind of "hit" thata regular cigarette does, so I wouldn't think that it would be too long before the person comes under stress and needs that "hit" to replenish their lost nicotine that stress causes that the ECigarette just couldn't give them. Thus most likely putting them back to either square one and smoking real cigarettes again or causing them to use willpower on some level of ingesting nicotine, but not with the same "hit" that a real cigarette would give, causing the person to most likely be under some kind of constant moderate withdrawal.

People are more than free to use these things if they want, but this is a quit smoking site. More accurately a quit using nicotine site as the cigarette is merely the vehicle for the drug and as it is being promoted in the malls around my neighborhood. The intention of using it is not to quit using nicotine, but to simply transfer the vehicle.

Take care,

Eric

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
SeanBen

Quit Date:
January 1, 2012

PostPosted: July 19, 2012 3:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic cigs are good alternative o quit and it is healthy..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: