quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

am putting in a poll here just out of interest...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 3:23 PM    Post subject: am putting in a poll here just out of interest... Reply with quote

Hey all am looking for opinions here..in the university of nottingham..ENGLAND my friend said that they had done a survey on NRT! nicotine replacment theripy they call it in england..( patches, nasal spray, gum, anything that contains nicotine to stop you smoking and wean you slowley of cigarettes) they said that all NRT,S are addictive and to be really FREE FROM NICOTINE..you should not have ANYTHING containing nicotine..BUT what about if you smoke really heavy and cannot do it cold turkey..???..I would be interested in your opinions! cold turkey or NRT!!..TO BE OR NOT TO BE THAT IS THE QUESTION!!...Ros Confused

previously rosspink
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 3:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ros:

I think studies have shown that the NRT is neither good nor bad. The success rate is the same for those who use it compared to those who don't.

I personally think it is best to just bite the bullet and get the big three day battle over with right up front, getting the nicotine completely out of your system.

I won't knock it, though, if someone is using NRT, as long as they do not go back to smoking.

It is much more important that people quit smoking than HOW they quit smoking. I wish everyone the best of luck, whichever route they have chosen to take.

Tom

I have been quit for 5 Months, 1 Week, 5 Days, 15 hours and 23 minutes (164 days). I have saved $617.39 by not smoking 4,939 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 3 hours and 35 minutes of my life.

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 3:32 PM    Post subject: Thanks Tom Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, your of the same opinion as me..I think that so long as a person packs up smoking it does not matter if they do it cold turkey or NRT... Very Happy ..Ros

previously rosspink
bigdaddyscds

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 3:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!
I agree wih Tom 100%. For me, I just wanted it out of my system as quick as possible. I had never quit before so I decided that if I couldn't do it cold turkey first shot out I would look into nrt. But I would NEVER knock someone's quit if it works for them, and I know plenty that did it with patches or gum but they are just as quit as me and that is all that matters for all of us! God bless and keep up the good work!
John
jkolako796

Quit Date:
May 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 4:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold turkey here- zyban for the first 2 weeks of the quit, but that was it- just cleanse the system out as much as possible instead of dragging it out, that was my theory.

Joshua

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 4:24 PM    Post subject: thanks to all so far for replies Reply with quote

thanks so far for replies after my friend told me about the survey that the university was carrying out I was interested in finding out pples views... Very Happy am waiting with interest to see the users opinions..for those who answed so far..THANKS AGAIN.. Very Happy ..Ros

previously rosspink
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 4:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ros. On several previous quits, I used the patch....but had problems with sleeping....either I couldn't, or when I did I had horrible nightmares. Also, it's expensive. None of the quits stuck. This time, knowing that the nicotine was gone after 72 hours, I figured just get it over with. For me, it was not the hardest part....because even though I smoked for 34 years, the last 10 were ultra lights. It's the head addiction that's the hardest....wish they had a patch for that!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 6:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the University of Nottingham, with your being English and all, I am sure you must have heard that they have discovered who was the roundest knight at the Round Table??? You know which one it was???

SIR CUMFERENCE ! Smile

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 7:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ros,
Depending on the study, the results can support almost anything. I have seen studies saying you have a better chance of quitting with NRT, and studies that say the best way is cold turkey. I have tried gum and the patch with NRT. Have also tried Zyban, and hypnotherapy. This time I used the patch for 1.5 weeks, then said "to h*ll with it" took the patch off and went cold turkey. I agree with everyone else, whatever works is good.

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
THREEGRAND

Quit Date:
March 28, 2004

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 9:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the patch and gum years ago to quit....I did quit with both,but wnet back to smoking after a couple months....This was the first quit I've tried cold turkey and I do prefer that...I agree just knowing after 72 hrs.. the nicotine is out of your system really helped me......also, this is the first time I've usedd FFS AND why quit .com, so all together and being ready to quit I think the cold turkey was best for me......whatever is best for anyone else is the one they should use as long as they stop smoking Gail
bwick18

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 10:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definately cold turkey. I would hate to think of being trapped right now with nicotine still in my body- My 3 days passed- now just psycological.
barb

Barb
After the rain comes the rainbow- I will get my rainbow back
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 13, 2004 11:27 PM    Post subject: QUIT Reply with quote

The bottom line is YOU HAVE TO QUIT FIRST!

For a lot of smokers, anything and everything that helps is good. Support as well as NRT.

However, none of it works unless you quit first.

An awful lot of smokers try to rely on one of these aids to make them quit.

K
jlf/Jeri

Quit Date:
November 12, 2003

PostPosted: June 14, 2004 2:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosspink!

I've tried to quit smoking many times in the past and I have tried the patch with Zyban and the patch alone and the NRT just didn't work for me. I quit cold turkey this last time (THE last time I hope!) in Novemeber.

The difference in this quit was not only the wonderful support I received from other quitters via message boards but also the knowledge I gained from reading and learning all I could about smoking, nicotine and addiction.
I followed the plan at FFS but I also visited "whyquit.com" and this site as well. The knowledge, preparation for the quit and support made all the difference to me.

I think each person is different and every quit is different so you must do whatever works best for you. The important thing is to quit smoking for good! Very Happy

Jeri
Seven months, one day, 1 hour, 11 minutes and 33 seconds. 6421 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,345.04. Life saved: 3 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, 5 minutes.
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 14, 2004 11:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried nearly everything on the market and finally quit cold turkey this time for good. I'm not knocking the NRT, because just because I was a miserable failure with it doesn't make IT the failure. But, I'm a "rip the bandaid off" sort of gal. The NRT put me in what I would call a constant state of withdrawal for the entire time I was on it...not complete withdrawal of course, but it made me feel miserable. Cold turkey, the first few days sucked and then it was moving on time...

I smoked almost 2 packs a day, so I don't think how heavy a smoker you were makes any difference. It's a personal choice. I chose to just end it. There are more and more studies coming out with people who have been chewing the gum for years on end...sure, the smoking is gone, so I suppose that is good...but a good part of my reason for quitting was to beat this addiction, and the nicotine is what we get addicted to physically.

Anyway, food for thought...

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: June 14, 2004 11:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ros
I used NRT for the first few weeks of my quit. I continued smoking but went from 2 packs a day down to a 1/2 pack with the NRT I used the loz. I just could not get past the half a pack a day so I went to the dr and got welbutrion and that made the difference. I am quit and have beenfor 2 months. And I quit one week before my orignial quit date with the welbutrion just felt ready. Hope this helps you

Two months, three days, 36 minutes and 33 seconds. 2561 cigarettes not smoked, saving $441.77. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 21 hours, 25 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: