quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DUAL THREAD!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: May 16, 2009 3:03 AM    Post subject: DUAL THREAD!! Reply with quote

I was going to make two topics but I figure i'd might as well merge em' into one big fat one!

TOPIC A!
Would you rather see a person try to quit then fail instead of not trying at all?

I see two sides to this.

A) Smoker quits but goes back after 2 days. He tried to be a casual smoker at a bar one night. He learned a valuable lesson on this quit.

B) Smoker quits but is unable to stay quit after going out with his friends. He relapse's and says "i'll never quit smoking agian! that sucked!"

Agree/Disagree? additional thoughts?

TOPIC B!

1st time quitting always the hardest? It has been so much easier on quit attempt #2 then #1 for me. I would say the biggest single improvement is the fact I know that hell week ends.

Was your first time easier or harder than other quit attempts?

Quit attempt #2!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: May 16, 2009 9:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts, Moose.

#1 -- I would prefer "A." We all need to learn from our mistakes.

#2 -- I don't remember all the past times I attempted quitting but I do know that knowledge is power so, yes, learning from prior attempt(s) is a definite plus.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 16, 2009 9:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

a: i'd rather see someone just decide to quit and then do it. when you say you're going to "try" something, you're setting yourself up for failure. when you make a decision, you either follow through or you don't. remember yoda in the original star wars: "do, or do not. there is no try."

b: i found just the opposite; the first one was relatively easy, but the last one was a nightmare. for me, at least, repeated "try"s led to 25 years of continuing to feed my addiction until it nearly killed me; i'd like to hope that people could look at my experience and learn something. like the not-so-old saying goes, "maybe your purpose in life is to serve as a bad example."

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: May 16, 2009 12:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ~

A: I agree with what both Jo and Kevin said. Quit means quit, not try.

B: My thought on "B" is ~ Quitting is easy ~ I did it 100 times ~ STAYING
quit is the hard part, but so worth it!

Essie
4/14/04
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 16, 2009 9:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...
A: you have to start somewhere - and I've always said - never quit quitting...if at first you don't succeed, try, try again! I started off intending to 'try' to quit...and it changed into 'quitting' -

B: My quit is my first and only serious effort and I finally acknowledged that I really did need to stop slowly killing myself with nicotine and smoking - so I don't have any comparison. I do know that it was hard enough that I don't know if I could do it again - and my fear that I wouldn't be able to quit again is effective in helping me hang on to the quit I have going right now. I realize just how "lucky" I am to have hit it out of the ball park on my first attempt - I do NOT want to test the waters and have to consider a second or third quit.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2009 2:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last quit must have been the easiest because it's been the longest quit and still is.

I like what Kevin said, to do or do not. I'm going to use that when it comes to other aspects of my life instead of always saying I will try.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: