quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new member,, need some support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babette

Quit Date:
March 25, 2009

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 4:12 PM    Post subject: new member,, need some support Reply with quote

Hi,
I've quit now for almost 2 mos. I am chewing the nicotine gum,, some days I don't chew but just a few pieces and other days alot more.. I just need to know what I can do that would help me when I get that way about not to think about how much I enjoyed it,etc. etc. ,I'll do good for a few days and then it will hit me for a few days,, my husband doesn't understand why I'm still having a hard time, he's quit for about 1 1/2 years, except if he drinks he will smoke one if w/ someone who is.. I have learned that it will only take one for me... I had smoked for 26 years and tried quitting about 3 times, this is my 4th and hopefully final time.. I guess after that long, it just seems part of my way of life is gone when I get that feeling.. I got to not let the negative get me.. I do try to remember the times I felt so bad and out of breath. I do feel better now, but my shoulders and neck (like another member I saw posted ) has been really messed up.. weird.
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 6:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 years eh? I smoked alittle longer than that
and with the help of this board and the wonderful people here its been almost 2 years smoke free!!
read alot at www.whyquit.com that helped me alot.
and coming here and typing and getting educated.
you can do this.

My avatars name is moon ray
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 6:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the Grand Marshall of not smoking but trust me on this- Cold turkey is the ONLY way to go!

The addiction to cig's is a powerful one. BUT after 72 hours of no nicotine the body starts to heal itself. The mental addiction is the hard one to beat. Unfortunatly you have been feeding the monster AND suffering from not smoking.

Please, throw away the gum, don't smoke for a week and be thankful your now on your way to recovery! Smile

Read these links please. I feel they will help you.

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_31_is_cold_turkey_the_only_way.htm
http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_01_tip_sheet.html

P.S. I stopped drinking caffeine and that has really helped my shoulders and neck.

Quit attempt #2!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 7:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a smoker for more than 45 years and, with the help of all my friends here at woofmang, have been free now for more than 5 years.

Cold turkey worked for me. I honestly don't think any other method would have worked as I fear I wouldn't have been able to quit the NRT.

No matter what method you choose, just stick to it and quit one day/hour/minute at a time. Life as a non-smoker is truly wonderful.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 10:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a piece of lined paper and draw a line down the middle to make 2 columns.

label one column "bad things" and the other "good things".

list all the bad things that cigarettes did to you in the "bad things" column. make sure that these are bad things that cigarettes did to you personally, not things that you've heard about cigarettes doing to anyone else. (if you never had cancer, for instance, don't list that; just list things like, "made it hard for me to breathe", "made me waste money i could've saved - or spent on something to help me live better - on something that i didn't need and could only hurt me", or "forced me to stand outside in the rain and snow and feel like an idiot because i had to feed my addiction." stuff like that.)

now, list all the good things that cigarettes did for you in the "good things" column. but before you actually add anything to the list of good things, ask yourself, "really?" did they really do that good thing for you? or was it an illusion?

as an example, you might think to put, "they helped me relax when i was stressed," but they didn't, really: the only stress a cigarette can relieve is the stress of withdrawal that started as soon as you put out the last cigarette you smoked. ask yourself this: if cigarettes really helped to relieve stress, how come a non-smoker would never think to smoke a cigarette to relieve their stress?

keep working on your lists in both columns whenever you feel like you're missing them; only add bad things you personally experienced to the "bad things" column, and take the time to really question each thing you might think to add to the "good things" column, and only add them if you can honestly say that they were good for you.

eventually, i'm betting something will click for you, and you'll realize that you never gave anything up; that there's nothing for you to miss. because the "bad things" column will be easy to add to - in fact, you can do it almost indefinitely - while the "good things" column will be almost impossible to add anything to...

hope this helps.

welcome to the site! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2009 12:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Babette - welcome!! Keep posting and reading! Every quit is unique - just like every person in unique. Just take it one day at a time - keep choosing freedom and life - over the chains of nicotine addiction. I smoke for 24 years - and I'm coming up to five years quit next month. Its do-able. Write down your reasons for wanting to quit - and keep the close by. Read your reasons out-loud when you find yourself craving - it will remind you of your objective and keep you on track - at least it helped me way back when.

you can do it!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2009 9:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, Babette and Congratulations on your quit! Smile I think you have gotten some great suggestions. I smoked 42 years ~ have been quit 5+ now. Shortly after I quit I wrote a "Dear John" letter to my cigarettes, a long good-bye. That seemed to be a truning point for me somehow. I was done! One day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time is the attitude to take. And coming here often is a superb help. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Essie
4/14/04
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2009 11:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats on your quit. Great advice here........might I add make up your mind and then plant your quit into cement nothing will be able to dig up a relapse but you. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 21, 2009 11:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on quitting. I used a NRT for 3 months at 1st and ever since have not had any nicotine. I have been quit for 4+ years. You have to have your mind set to follow through with a quit and not accept any excuses.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: