quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I AM REALLY MAD!!!(STILL FREE FROM SMOKING WOPPEE!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 7:09 AM    Post subject: I AM REALLY MAD!!!(STILL FREE FROM SMOKING WOPPEE!) Reply with quote

Well where do I start from I phoned the helpline to quit smoking which may I add covers ALL of England..lets see if you will be as annoyed as I am.. Mad I told them about this university of nottingham survey regarding which is better NRT or NO NICOTINE HELP AT ALL..to get of smoking..I was told that ok you can take NRT patches, ect for 3 or whatever months with gradualiy lessening doses of nicotine..then...GUESS WHAT HAPPENS..YOU GET THE FULL RANGE OF WITHDRAWELS...!!!! if that is true and the lady said they can be as bad as stopping without NRT!! WHY BOTHER misleading pple to thinking that once you have finished your NRT course then its really easy to keep off nicotine and with little or NO withdrawels.. Shocked I FOR ONE AM REALLY ANGRY ABOUT THIS.. Mad Mad Ros..
**better news is I am still not smoking wooopeee !!..10 days I think now..***

previously rosspink
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 7:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ros:

Settle down, Woman! You are gonna be OK.

I think that's a bunch of BS you were given by the people on the phone. Your patches lessen in strength, if you follow the program, and you gradually get used to living without nicotine in your system. At least I thought that was the idea.

Ros, people get so opinionated sometimes that they do more harm than good. Protocols for smoking cessation should be taken as general guidelines, but we are INDIVIDUALS, so every single step in some program may not work for us.

I broke some rules, but my quit is working. They say get rid of all cigarettes, but I kept some around. I did that purposely, so that I reinforced it in my mind that I was quitting BY CHOICE. On previous, unsuccessful quits, I would bum a smoke, if I was around someone smoking. This time, I had my own smokes and did not see being around smokers as an opportunity to bum one. According to the "experts," I should not have been successful.

Don't let what they said bother ya, Ros. Thousands of people have quit smoking using the NRT method, so it must not be so bad. Right?

Don't let this or anything else upset you so bad that it makes you blow your quit. You are doing SUPER! Keep it up!

Tom

I have been quit for 5 Months, 2 Weeks, 7 hours and 39 minutes (166 days). I have saved $623.69 by not smoking 4,989 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 7 hours and 45 minutes of my life.

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Last edited by tsjay49 on June 15, 2004 7:48 AM; edited 1 time in total
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 7:45 AM    Post subject: ok have settled down! LOL.. Reply with quote

Hi Tom thanks for the reply, yes I thought what you did but when I was told that I must admit I was shocked..you could say a gut reaction.. Confused but so far my quit is going well and I for one could do without shocks like that!! Shocked as ever thanks for your kind words lol..Ros Laughing

previously rosspink
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 7:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ros:

I edited my post and added a little bit, so you might want to read it again.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 7:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ask the woman you spoke with if she was speaking from personal experience? could be that she's only repeating something she'd heard. and even if she was speaking from personal experience (as Tom rightly points out), that doesn't mean that you'll have the same experience.

as my nana used to say, "don't borrow trouble" - in other words, your quit is working; don't look for reasons why it might fail.

keep it going!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
MrsGreatly

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 11:21 AM    Post subject: Question? Reply with quote

I'm just wondering...There are such huge anti-smoking campaigns going on all over the world...There are less and less places a person can smoke....Doctors urge patients to quit...smokers have become parriah...all this is good...should have happened a long time ago.
But what I'm wondering is WHY do things like patches, lozenges, and all other products to help you stop cost so much? I was on Zyban for a few weeks...One prescription costs over 200.00 here in Australia. My doctor even told me that if I decide to go off the Zyban to please bring in any unused...they are in tamper-proof containers by the way. The unused ones could be given to other people who want to try Zyban. if you are unlucky enough not to have insurance or pensioners discounts buying this stuff is almost out of the question. I know what you are going to say...well, duh, you have the money for cigarettes and look at all the money you are saving. But that is not the point. I think this stuff should be damn near free...or else the tobacco companies should reimburse people that they have lied to for decades.
Before I began my last quit I used to get so pissed about the pressure put on smokers...If the government or other groups can do this what's next...this was probably just another attempt at justifying my habit.
But really, if this kind of pressure can do what it's done to advocate nonsmoking, then why can't they give people who are sincerely trying to quit a break?
Most things here are nearly double the cost of what they would cost in the States...so maybe many of you wonder what in the world I'm talking about...
Anyway, I was just wondering.
MrsGreatly

"If you have two loaves of bread, sell one and buy a flower; for the soul too has need of nurturing."
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 11:33 AM    Post subject: Hi Mrs Greatly Reply with quote

Shocked WOW gosh I agree with everything you say and I am shocked at how expensive they cost over in Aus! I live in England and I and others who want to use NRT to quit which is a very nasty addiction like smoking as ive said here in england we get it either very reduced fee or completly free for such as myself (sickness) and pensioners or low waged..like you said they drum it into us to stop killing ourself,s through smoking..as if we didnt know already of course and for those of us who want to and in some cases need to quit then they should do the same as in the UK either give free NRT or very low costing NRT... Confused anyhow I hope that your quit is going well ..Ros Smile

previously rosspink
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 1:43 PM    Post subject: Don't Worry About It Reply with quote

Dear Ros,

I can understand why you're upset by the response you were given but I do agree with Tom and Kevin. NRT must help people or there would be none sold. Also, everyone's quit is different. If you have the determination to keep your quit, you'll succeed. Lots of people expect the NRT to do all of the work for them. For those folks, it probably won't work.

You just hang in with your quit and continue doing what you're doing. You're succeeding!!!!!!!! Very Happy and that's an awesome thing.

Living free for 2M, 4D, 16H, 15M and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 1:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add to Claudia's post to you Ros She said
Quote:
if you are unlucky enough not to have insurance or pensioners discounts buying this stuff is almost out of the question. I know what you are going to say...well, duh, you have the money for cigarettes and look at all the money you are saving

I dion't know about anyone else but laying out a lump sum of cash was difficult for me so buy NRT was out of the question. I only bought my cigs one or two packs at a time each day and usually had to scrape to get the money for those. So laying out a large lump sum for the NRT would not be feasable for me and probably alot of other folks too. It is not geared for the poor folk only those who have enough money to be comfortable with. (NO slam meant) But this is somethiing to think about and probably a good reason that if any of the folks who did dig up the money for NRT would have withdrawl is because they could not dig up the cash for any more to do the step down. I agree the stuff should be almost free especially if all the "powers that be" want the nation world and country to quit smoking.
But this is just my opinion

Two months, four days, 2 hours, 45 minutes and 45 seconds. 2604 cigarettes not smoked, saving $449.29. Life saved: 1 week, 2 days, 1 hour, 0 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 5:20 PM    Post subject: Coupons Reply with quote

Maybe we should all petition the tobacco companies, legislators etc. to require putting coupons on packs of cigarettes for free NRT, smoking cessation classes etc. Whatever the customer's choice. Instead of coupons for more free packs or cool advertising stuff.
Maybe kids would get a clue before they get hooked too.
These companies are just getting off too easy.

K

[/b]
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 7:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on folks do you actually think that any of the companies that make NRT's or any medication really give a da_ _ about the people that need these things? They care about the $ and how many $'s they get to put in their pockets. Why should we smokers be any different than the cancer patients who die because they can't afford chemo? Or the elderly that must choose between medications and food. It is about the dollar.

As for the woman who told you that about NRT's; she is probably an advocate for cold turkey. There are many programs and people who believe that the only way to quit is to go cold turkey, and often time people who have strong opinions on any subject have a tendency to belittle the effectiveness of anything that differs from their beliefs. I know many people who have quit with NRT's and have done so quite successfully, and believe their craves were less because of them.

As you have been told...do not borrow troubles from tomorrow. Take care of today. Today you are not smoking. Pat yourself on the back for that. It is awesome and remember....our goal is to quit and whatever road takes us there... is good.
Keep up the good job

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 8:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as what that woman said - I don't believe it is true. First of all- I think if you are following the program and reducing the number of lozenges or pieces of gum, or going down in mg on the patch- you will have a little discomfort whenever you cut down to a lower dose of nicotine-but nothing like cold turkey withdrawal. I think your body adjusts to it and then you feel comfortable after a little bit of time. I think it must be the same thing when you go from the last patch to none- or using a lozenge only a couple of times a day to using none. When I went from smoking a pack and a half a day (sometimes more) to using the 21 mg patch- i cut my daily nicotine intake significantly from what I hear. Now that I am in the 3rd week- I really don't feel a physical craving at all- I am just dealing with psychological ones. That makes me think that I must be adjusted pretty well to this new dose and so it does seem to work to step you down.

I also think if you really follow the program and use the NRT for the recommended amount of time- that even if you did have intense physical withdrawals- your body is going to be way more used to your NOT smoking in order to feel better. For example, the first day you quit smoking, you get irritable, a headache or whatever with no cigs - your body wants to you to reach for that cig. After 10 weeks on the patch- you get a headache or feel irritable- but I think you could experience those things as less related to smoking a cig for relief of them. I think the fact that you went 10 weeks without smoking might make some of those physical withdrawal symptoms seem more tolerable. Like I get a headache for other reasons and have to just get through it- and I sure get irritable with PMS but I get through it. However, the irritability and headache I would get when trying to cut down on smoking - i couldn't tolerate - and would smoke. When I'm off the patch if I feel those things I hope I can deal with them better now that I'm behaviorally not smoking anymore. I hope that makes sense!!!

I think the cost is ridiculous for NRT too- but I'm still glad to be saving money in that they cost less than all the cigs I was smoking. I was spending $35 a week on cigs at least, and now I'm spending $30 every 2 weeks to get off the cigs. I thought about it also- and think in some cases the extra cost might be a good thing. If NRT was too cheap then people might not put as much thought into the program. For example, if you could get patches for cheap or something - people might say" hey I'm taking a long flight and can't smoke, I think I'll get a patch" and in that since they aren't really using them to quit smoking- they are just making it so they can get more nicotine in their bodies at a time when they would usually not smoke. Also, if they weren't expensive then kids might start buying them - and using them in ways they weren't intended- like putting 3 on at a time to get a high or something.

Well these are just my thoughts...
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 16, 2004 12:16 PM    Post subject: thanks for all the imput on this poll Reply with quote

WOW I sure got lots of feedback and I thank you all so very much..and like so many of you said I dont think this woman knew what she was on about at first when she spoke to me I freaked out then my common sense kicked in and I calmed down the quit is going great and YES IM SO PROUD OF MYSELF for kicking this disgusting addiction and am kicking old smokys butt good and proper, Its so good not to cough and wheeze in the mornings and to smell roses and different things is AWESOME!!... Laughing Wink Ros

previously rosspink
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: June 20, 2004 11:41 PM    Post subject: curious Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, did you use the NRT? (pardon me if I misunderstood your post) I did not use NRT for that exact reason. I hear that it made things harder and I just wanted the hard part over with. At this point I wouldn't start using anything because the nicotine is gone but since I'm having such a hard time I have been thinking about possibly getting hypnotized, acupuncture, or taking an anti-depressant. Anything to get back in the game again. I'm also ten pounds up and this usually makes me fail. Confused Kerry
cbuntin

Quit Date:
June 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2004 7:13 AM    Post subject: four days and feeling a little more human again ! Reply with quote

Hey y'all- thank you all so much for your support- youa re just angels! I am on day four thank goodness and am doing okay. Trying to hang int here. I have a question...I am getting confused. Alot of people talk about how great it is to get through the first days and be nicotine free- but I am on NRT so obviosly there is still nicotine in my system. Where is my body at in terms of recovery? Have I done any good yet? I guess I just want to know that I am getting some recovery results too. Thanks y'all you guys are great! Courtney Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: