quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The never give up quitter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seyis

Quit Date:
November 11, 2009

PostPosted: November 3, 2009 5:51 AM    Post subject: The never give up quitter Reply with quote

hi all,
I just searched and found these forums. I really need to find a way to quit smoking. I just don't know how anymore, and I'm praying to find a way. This is a bit long, I’m sorry, but I really need some help.
I started smoking about 6 years ago (after being happily quit for 12 yrs). I never considered starting again, and it just happened with a curious puff, then half a smoke..
I have never wanted to admit I am a smoker again. But I am. The thing is I have quit so many times so many ways that I just don't know what to do anymore. I usually quit everyday. My body has a strong reaction to smoking and by evening I feel so ill I can't imagine ever smoking again. So every night I will throw them away, utterly convinced I will never smoke again. (yes this is very expensive!) Sometimes I will last a day, a wk, even two weeks. The longest was 2 months (using champax). Sometimes I use patches or gum, other times I don't need to use anything.
Smoking is making me so sick I have to find a way to finally stop for good. Not to mention the cost and the drain of going through these up and downs every day. Within a minute of smoking I get a headache, shortly after a terribly sore throat, rashes, itching, sneezing, burning eyes, almost like an allergic reaction.
I have read everything for years on quitting, tried every program, pills, patches, potions, plans, lifestyle changes, EVERYTHING. I am getting so depressed about it because I feel like there is no hope anymore.
Everyday I a feeling sicker, I barely make it through a day at work if I am smoking (nausea, stomach pains, headaches). As soon as I stop I feel great, it all goes away. But the addiction must be so ingrained I guess that it drives me back. Yet I can hardly smoke more than half a cigarette without gagging or getting ill.
The thing is, most of the time, I am not even conscious I am buying smokes. I will be happily quit for say a wk, feeling great, the in a moment something will click and I am smoking before I realise it, and I don’t know how to combat that when I just seem to almost black out.
There just has to be a way. There HAS to be. I just don’t know what it is anymore. I guess after so many attempts (I would say probably 500 at least) it feels like it is impossible to beat. I can’t imagine how truly wonderful life would be to be free of smoking. It would be a blessing!
If anyone has ANYTHING they could suggest that worked for them I would be deeply grateful.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 3, 2009 10:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

what worked for me was i stopped kidding myself.

i used to tell myself that the addiction was too strong.

i used to pretend that i was helpless to stop it.

i used to kid myself that i somehow "slipped" back to smoking, or "accidentally" smoked one, or "unconsciously" bought a pack.

then, one day, my doctor was describing my chest x-rays to me: "you see these black areas? that's all dead tissue now, and it will never grow back. if you keep smoking, the black areas will keep moving up, until you're dragging around an oxygen tank. then, even being on pure oxygen won't be enough, because there won't be enough live lung tissue left to process it, and you'll suffocate."

i made a firm decision, right then, that i was going to quit smoking, and i was not going back. i went through the american lung association's freedom from smoking online program (it used to be free, now it's $40 a year). i quit a week later (on november 19, 2001) and haven't had a puff since.

you can do this, too, but you have to stop kidding yourself.

yes, you are addicted to nicotine, but the addiction only has as much power as you give it. stop making excuses and start making choices. whenever you get a crave, you get to make the following choice:

feed your addiction, knowing that by doing so, you're only buying a few moments relief from the crave, strengthening the addiction's hold over you, insuring that the craves will continue to increase in strength and frequency, and inviting a whole host of negative health issues into your life.

this way lies death.

choose not to feed your addiction, knowing that by doing so, you'll have to face a few moments of discomfort, but you'll be weakening the addiction's hold over you, insuring that the craves get weaker and less frequent, and reinforcing your freedom.

this way lies life.

i'd suggest that you choose life.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 3, 2009 4:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Woofmang. I ditto what Kevin said.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: November 3, 2009 8:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome.
read and educate yourself. I never thought
I could do it after 28 years, but I did it with
the wonderful people here....
www.whyquit.com may help.
you really have to just decide not to smoke.
there are great tips on here, just poke around
and see...

My avatars name is moon ray
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 4, 2009 12:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get to choose - life and freedom or death and cigarettes

Quit means quit. Stay in the moment and remind yourself that no one is lighting a cigarette, shoving it in you mouth and forcing you to inhale. YOU are making a choice - declare your personal independence day and hold yourself accountable - start thinking of yourself as a non-smoker and adopt the mantra - NOPE - not one puff ever....

only YOU can do it for yourself....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: