quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Five Year Ramble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 1:25 AM    Post subject: Five Year Ramble Reply with quote

Five Year Ramble

I have a past that still haunts me to this day but even so I have overcome a lot of it in the past 5 years. Just 5 years ago I could barely function on my own. I was scared to death to drive my car due to an accident and then I found myself totally on my own 2 years later with no one to depend on. I got a lot of my rides with a van service back then but now I drive every day with no fear at all except to get on the interstate. Just yesterday I drove on some snow which was really unthinkable 3 years ago. I would not even drive in the rain at all but now do. Back then I was a real mess psychologically and could not stand up for myself. Today I can stand up to some of the worst. Back then I didn’t dress to kill and today I enjoy watching the boys come undone when I do.

You’re probably wondering what all that has to do with my quit of 5 years but it has a lot to do with it. When I quit smoking I found a lot of online friends who not only helped me in my quit but also to shape me to the confident person I am today. I have to admit that not everyone I met online was good to me but even those people taught me something.

I first found out about message boards when I went to FFS for support in my 1st attempt in 2003 and then I came upon the Q and Woofmang later on. I had found many girlfriends and guy friends on the Q that some have come and gone but each one of them still helped me. I had girlfriends and guy friends from Woofmang who came and gone also. It’s some of the ones that have been there all along like Kevin, Mary, Kay, and Essie that probably know me the best. I will always feel at home with them.

At one time I had no one but the quit smoking message boards. I would not have had the online support if I never quit smoking; therefore having quit smoking has helped me grow as person also. The journey was wonderful because I have met some wonderful people along the way.

I never thought in a million years that I would be quit smoking for 5 years way back then when I took my last puff. The reason being is because for so long in the early days of my quit I would only make the day without smoking by putting it off till the next day. When the next day came I’d put it off to the next day after that. Now I don’t even think about smoking at all except maybe a passing thought that occurs 2 or 3 times a year. I do know though that I must never stop visiting the smoking cessation forums just because I am comfortable in my quit now because I am still not safe from smoking. I am after all a nicotine addict for good whether I smoke or not. My quit will need to be maintained and the message boards are my best choice.

My advice to anyone newly quitting is to just enjoy the journey of your quit. It’s going to seem like pure hell for awhile but the online bonding with other quitters is priceless. Enjoy the smiles, the hugs, and the inspirations that you will encounter in that journey.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 1:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

great ramble, barbara - congratulations on your first 5 years of freedom! Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 1:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go Barbara!! FIVE years!! that is fabulous!!! Great job! I know if hasn't been easy - but you have blossomed as a non-smoker! Congratulations on re-creating yourself! Keep growing!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 1:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin and Mary.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 7:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, BK. Quitting an addiction teaches us that we can do anything we set our minds to -- you've proven that, for sure!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 8:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you Rusty.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 10:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Ramble Barbara, I'm happy to be one of your friends. Congratulations and many more! Boogie!

Essie
4/14/04
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 23, 2009 11:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Essie.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 24, 2009 4:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations! I may come and go here on Woofmang, but there's never a day that I don't think about you all. Your message is a strong one to new quitters, as you not only were quitting smoking, but going through some major issues in your life, and got through it all. Keep it going.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 24, 2009 10:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pam. You were were very influencial to me with all you did in your quit. You are an amazing woman.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: December 26, 2009 3:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Barbara!!!
5 years....you are an inspiration!!!
nice ramble too. Thanks for sharing!

My avatars name is moon ray
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 27, 2009 12:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you Pearl.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: