quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting Ready for another Winter Storm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 4, 2010 6:59 PM    Post subject: Getting Ready for another Winter Storm Reply with quote

I have just gotten over the last snow storm and another one is coming tomorrow. Today I went grocery shopping and washed clothes at the laundry mat. Yesterday I was medicated to the point of being stuck at home all day due to pain so I didn't get anything done yesterday. I still have to go shopping to get things for my apartment that I need bad like a pole lamp to go in my dinning room. I have no light in there yet. I can't seem to get organized in my new apartment as I only have one closet for the whole apartment versus the 3 closets in the old one. The one closet I have is a gigantic one though and I'm thinking about just getting a storage cart to put in it for my toiletries. I need another dresser also which I hope to get at the Goodwill store.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 6, 2010 12:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

take it easy with that winter storm coming, now.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 8, 2010 1:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got klobbered by the strorm that blew threw Pittsburgh with 21 inches of snow! It started Friday night and my power went out at 1am Saturday morning - and stayed off until Sunday afternoon. 30+ hours without power. No heat...house held at about 58 degrees inside through the day on Saturday - but the outside temps drop to less than 10 degrees during the night - so the house cooled off to aout 53 degrees overnight. The power came on for almost an hour between 9:30 and 10:30 am Sunday - but it didn't warm up much in that hour. Power was restore about 4:30 this afternoon. After the electric hot water heater recovered - I got a shower! I was able to heat things up because I have a gas stove - had to light the stove with a match (have a big box of kitchen matches) - but both of my neighbors have electric stoves - I change mine to gas when I bought the house and moved in. Glad I did! Worked with my neighbors to clear out the driveway - a lot of work moving 20+ inches of snow. At least my car was in the garage so I didn't have to unbury it. The roads are still not good - icy and rutted so its slow going. Most schools have already cancelled classes for Monday. Some streets in the city haven't been plowed yet. I found I was pretty well prepared with candles, flashlights, battery powered walkman with am/fm radio and recharge the cell phone by plugging it into the carjack. Also discovered how to open the garage door manually - there's a release cord. Now I have to figure out how to reattach it to the opener. I packed my freezer into an ice chest and buried it in the snow on my back patio - frige perishables too in another cooler. But its really boring without the internet or tv - and not much to do when it gets dark. BUt I've survived the blizzard of 2010!!! Record snow falls for the area...next storm to arrive on Tuesday afternoon. It would have been fun if I'd had electric power through the weekend. It looks like the DC area and Virginia got hit hard too! Even the bishop of the Pittsburg Diocese announced a special dispensation of the those who could not get to church for mass.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 8, 2010 2:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary,

Yes, Virginia or parts of it got it bad also. I was lucky to not get it so bad this time. I've been without power for as long as 5 days and 5 nights twice in the past 10 years so I can relate to what you went through. It's good you are okay now.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 8, 2010 3:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. 21 inches of snow is just incomprehensible to me. I'm surprised anything in the city is moving. Kansas City got about a foot of snow on Christmas Eve and I still occasionally whine about it. Guess I'll stop now. Laughing

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: February 8, 2010 4:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys are all OK! No snow here, but expecting some tomorrow. Hope it is not like Marys! Shocked

Essie
4/14/04
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 8, 2010 5:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today I got my errands ran again. I went grocery shopping again getting ready for the sleet/snow we are due tomorrow. I got my pole lamp today at a good discount. It was marked for $30 but was really $60 but because it was marked for $30 that's what I paid for it. I'm happy. I went to visit one of my old neighbors and her dog was so excited to see me she wee weed all over the place.

Mary, did you get off from work today due to the snow?

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 9, 2010 12:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's alot of snow for pittsburgh, mary! glad you made it through. Smile

barbara wrote:
her dog was so excited to see me she wee weed all over the place

it's nice to be loved... Wink

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 9, 2010 1:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

no day off...it was back to work today - I had to pick up a friend who's car was buried in a snow bank - on a street that had not yet been plowed. It was slow going with icy spots - I got stuck tonight trying to take my friend home after work - snow was too deep in the street - over 1 foot - and ruts and ice - got un-stuck with help and a shovel. I've not been stuck in about 20 years...if you don't count the time I slide off the road on Christmas day a few years ago...landed in someone's yard and had to get towed out...
I'm a pretty competent winter driver - but too much snow! More coming starting tomorrow afternoon - may see another 6-10 inches....I don't know where we're going to pile it up...Stay safe and warm everyone!

Mary D.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 9, 2010 9:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Kevin, it is good to be loved.

Mary, we are getting some sleet/snow today. I'm not use to driving in this mess so I just stay home.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 10, 2010 12:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an interesting ride home from work - snow had started and the temperatures were dropping. We had already decided to cancel our usual Tuesday night bowling league due to the forecasted bad weather. Looks like we made a good decision. More snow coming our way tonight! Stay safe if you are out there in the weather!

Mary D.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 10, 2010 10:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, it has been snowing like crazy by me today. It looks like we're getting much more than they thought we would.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 10, 2010 12:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how much we got here, but i've had to get shoveled out twice since yesterday (and it's still snowing a bit)...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 10, 2010 11:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our winter wasn't that bad until old Groundhog Punxy Phil had to see his shadow...and Ka- BOOM!!! WINTER hits us hard!!!

Mary D.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 11, 2010 9:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Mary, you have a point there.

Kevin, I hope this snow will be it for awhile.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: