quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I want to quit!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princess28

Quit Date:
May 3, 2010

PostPosted: April 26, 2010 1:29 PM    Post subject: I want to quit!! Reply with quote

I have been smoking for 12 years and I am so scared to quit. I have my quit date set for a week. I am going to try doing it with the nicotine patches but I am so nervous. When I stress or get in an argument that is the first thing I go for. If I am in a place that no smoking is allowed and it has been a few hours since I have had a cigg I get horrible anxiety. I am scared also of getting so bitchy and gaining weight. I have a 17 month old dauther and a fiance that hates smoking that I want to quit for. Also, for myself. I know it will be very rewarding but that does not make it any easier or make me any less scared. Crying or Very sad
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 26, 2010 9:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can do this. the key is to have reasons that are stronger than your fear, and generally speaking, quitting for somebody else won't give you that; you might want to check out some of the sites on our links page (especially the freedom from smoking program) to get some help with building your motivation.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 27, 2010 9:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull from your inner strength, Princess. As Kevin wrote, check out all the sites available and do work the modules at the American Lung Association's Freedom From Smoking site.

Stay close to these boards and post when you feel the urge to smoke. We're all here to help each other over the rough spots.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: April 27, 2010 9:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get anxious when I couldn't smoke as well. Once I decided to quit, I would practice conscious breathing techniques and give myself something to focus on. I used to carry around a little stone. I think it was from a game or something, but it was smooth and I could play with it in my hand. It helped to soothe my anxiety.

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
princess28

Quit Date:
May 3, 2010

PostPosted: April 29, 2010 11:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice. It helps so much knowing your not the only person going through it.
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: April 29, 2010 1:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't alone. Read up on all of the old tales and check out the other links. The info will help to keep you committed to your decision.

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 29, 2010 8:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this...gosh you sounded just like me over 5 years ago....I am all for just putting them down and going cold turkey but it was not right for me...I too had anxiety and took something for that, I used the patch and took zyban...the message is you eventually have to go it alone but until you KNOW in your mind you are ready, then do whatever you have to do to quit. I wanted to quit for my family..my husband in particular so I quit the day after his birthday so I would know I was doing it for me as well as for him...the me had to come first and I learned that was not so bad a thing. I feel my success came when I got it right in my head...you have to have the right mindset in order to quit....you have to know you have a choice.

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2010 12:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Woofmang! Believe that you CAN quit! It is do-able! Knowledge and support will made a big difference for me...learn all you can about addiction...and you can count of encouragement from the folks here...post often and believe in yourself! Go for freedom...and always remember - its a choice...choose freedom and life!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2010 6:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess,

I was scared to death thinking about quitting too way back when I quit. Try saying out loud over and over, "I CAN QUIT SMOKING!" I believe what I owe my pecious quit to is affrimations like that one and once quit, "There is not excuse to smoke," over and over. Saying those things over and over will have you busy saying them that you won't think about the crave much.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: