quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

LONG TIME

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2010 3:57 PM    Post subject: LONG TIME Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I've been here. I was driving today and they mentioned the date on the radio....May 4th...my 6 year quit date. Imagine that! I didn't even realize it. Hard to believe that 6 years has gone by since I visited this great site. I'll never take it for granted however...Saturday night I was sitting with a couple of smokers on a beautiful Chicago night and I could have easily broken my quit. It smelled so good and looked so fun. Thankfully I didn't. Always remember temptation is just around the corner so never forget why you're doing this. It's been great to be smoke free for the last 6 years. I owe most ot it to this site. Thanks to all who helped me.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2010 8:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

so good to hear from you Kerry...I am so proud you have remained smoke free for 6 years...it just proves that it is doable if you set your mind to it...
Congrats on a great quit !!!!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2010 9:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kerry - Congrats! I just sent you a PM when I saw your name on the Anniversary Board! Way to go!!!! We've traveled this road together - I was just a little behind you...following along as you led the way! Stay free!! Today, tomorrow, forever!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
GaryMahara

Quit Date:
April 22, 2011

PostPosted: May 4, 2010 11:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Kerry. I'm about 5 yrs and 8 months or so behind you. I like how you said "I'll never take it for granted". That sounds so important. "Eternal vigilance" is another phrase I read on this board today. All great pieces of advice.

Thank you for coming back to write to us. These messages from strong people like yourself go a long way with me.
Thank you again.

Gary.

Where are all the news crews when EXXON isn't spilling stuff?
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2010 8:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Kerry. It's great to hear from you and to learn that your quit is alive and well. Keep it going. As you know, it's really wonderful being free. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 5, 2010 7:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

great to see you, kerry! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: May 6, 2010 9:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you here Kerry! Happy Anniversary! Smile

Essie
4/14/04
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 12:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry, congrats on your 6 year quit.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 10:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all your well wishes! Funny how after 6 years it can still be a battle from time to time Never thought that would happen but something I'll still keep fighting. It is so much easier though so I encourage everyone who is new in their quit to keep plugging along...one day at a time! Thanks again.
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 8:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats!! glad you stopped in!!
Kevin has helped so many people by
starting this site!

My avatars name is moon ray
BobbiS

Quit Date:
July 2, 2010

PostPosted: June 29, 2010 8:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry, I'm new here. Recently I was diagnosed with emphysema and I'm just getting over pnemonia. Plus I have lupus and lung complications as a result of that as well. I have a hard time breathing properly and sometimes it's painful. I quit while I was in the hospital, it lasted maybe two weeks or so and then I smoked again. It's so easy in the early stages to just give in for no apparent reason. Just because? It scares me to think that the urge is still there after years of not smoking. That it still smells good, that it's still tempting to pick up and smoke again. Is that what I have to look forward to? I know it's not the same. That the craving or urge or thought is not accompanied by the physical withdrawal, which makes it even easier to give in. 6 more hours and I will be quit for 24 hours. Wish me luck!!

Bobbi
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 29, 2010 9:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbi, I may be one of the lucky ones -- don't know. I no longer have any desire to smoke and just smelling it makes me ill. My husband and I went into one of our favorite restaurants a few weeks ago and turned around and left; the smoke was so evident.

This is your quit. Everyone is different but stick with it. It's so worth the effort.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
BobbiS

Quit Date:
July 2, 2010

PostPosted: June 29, 2010 10:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo, I have heard and even met people that have quit smoking and now can't stand the sight, smell, idea or anything at all about cigarettes. I can't blame anyone for the hate they might feel toward the cigarettes. Afterall, it steals our life away drag by drag. It does so much damage to us that we don't even realize. There is nothing good about them at all. After I got out of the hospital and being smoke-free for a week, I got in my vehicle and it stunk so bad I wanted to just drop it off someowhere and leave it!!! Junk it!!! I will never get the smell out of my vehicle. I just think about people who ride in it who have never smoked! Yuck! No wonder there is so much animosity out there between non-smokers and smokers. Addiction is ugly and it stinks too! Thanks for giving me hope and reminding me that we are all different and experience different things as we practice abstenance around smokers that are still unfortunate enough to be addicted.

Bobbi
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: June 30, 2010 7:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bobbi!

You have years of a great easy breathing life to look forward to! I didn't mean to scare you. When I said I still crave from time to time, trust me...it's fleeting. I may smell a freshly lit cigarette and think it smells good and then I'm off doing whatever I was doing. It's nothing I ever focus on. That hasn't happened in years. The time you get back and the way you feel when you breathe deeply is unbelieveable...no cigarette can compare to that. Now if you want to talk chocolate...that's a whole other story! Laughing
BobbiS

Quit Date:
July 2, 2010

PostPosted: July 2, 2010 7:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kerry! I liken the cravings to alcohol. I'm recovering and haven't had a drink in 5 years on July 9th. It's my birthday coming up. I don't know if you read in the introductions that I smoked again, but I set my quit date to July 9th too. Yes, I can do it. I need encouragement though, and that's why I'm here.

Chocolate? Mmmmmm. I still get cravings for that every now and then. It's a good craving though because I can give in to it on occasssion without becoming full blown addicted!

Thanks again Kerry!
Bobbi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: