quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Day 3 and I am bursting in tears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy_In_CT

Quit Date:
March 13, 2011

PostPosted: March 15, 2011 6:51 PM    Post subject: Day 3 and I am bursting in tears Reply with quote

On Saturday, I realized that it was time to quit. I couldn't breathe anymore and I was tired of waking up in the middle of the night coughing. I made the choice to go buy the patch. (I was terrified to try to quit cold turkey after smoking for 22 years.) So I am on the the patch now for 3 days and I am struggling really bad. The worst for me is in the morning and after meals. You see, I actually enjoyed smoking. I liked the taste and sometimes even the smell.
I have started trying to find things to keep my mind and hands occupied but I don't really have any moral support (about anything) from my husband and he actually threw a pack a of cigarettes at me today. Told me he liked me better when I smoked. How am I supposed to stay strong and fight this addiction? I really want to fight this. I want to be healthy. Please help.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: March 15, 2011 9:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to get too overwhelmed. Take it one step at a time, one minute at a time. You're doing the right thing keeping your mind and hands occupied. Drink lots of water, take lots of deep breaths. Congratulate yourself for all you have accomplished. Some folks here keep a journal, whatever works for you, just don't give in, it will get better.

Essie
4/14/04
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: March 15, 2011 11:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crazy in CT - welcome and congrats on deciding you want to stop smoking - just keep choosing to NOT smoke...one urge, crave, desire at a time! It really is a choice - its not an easy choice as your mind and body are screaming for nicotine - but quitting is do-able - you've started down the road to freedom - stay the course - and keep choosing to be smoke-free. Write down your reasons for quitting - keep them with you and read and re-read them to keep yourself focused. Have a plan to deal with your "hard" times...I would finish eating and get up from the table, go brush my teeth and then go for a walk. Then when I'd get back I'd deal with the dishes - and in the morning I totally changed my "routine" - it was too hard to do the same things I did as a smoker - and not smoke - drink coffee & watch the morning news... so I'd go straight from bed to the shower and then get dressed and leave right away for work.

Take it one day at a time! Keep your quit going...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
mrsrubytuesday

Quit Date:
May 21, 2008

PostPosted: March 16, 2011 7:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy - someone really needs to tell you that you are at the very worst stage of your quit. The first week is hell, there's no denying, but every few minutes you go without a cigarette is one minute closer to being free. It really is baby steps! Don't look back. Keep going, and read Kevin's "tales" if you haven't done so already.
selma b

Quit Date:
February 14, 2011

PostPosted: March 16, 2011 9:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think we were all there…. We all thought that we actually like to smoke. The truth is – You don’t like to smoke. You just don’t enjoy the urges and cravings and lighting one up makes them go away so you think it is the smoking you enjoy.
Until you really understand that, quitting will look like giving something up and it will remain hard.
It is not easy to get to that state of mind. I am still trying, but I firmly believe that is the right way to go.
If we keep relaying on our own stubbornness and will power not to light up we will be fighting for the rest of our lives. And who wants to do that?
We have to see smoking for what it really is. Addiction that has all the powers over us, but not something we enjoy doing. It is something we are forced to do.
I also believe that education helps, so my advice is to read all you can find about addiction and the ways to fight it. There are many very helpful sites that Kevin listed under “Links”

Just my 2c
Selma
Day 31
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 16, 2011 9:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to woofmang. I was one of our group who kept a journal. When I felt a crave coming on, I picke up a pen, instead of a cigarette, and wrote how I was feeling, why I wanted a cigarette -- basically anything that came to mind.

My bet is that your husband is a smoker too and misses having his smoking partner. After time, he may discover that you're doing just great without cigarettes and decide to quit too. Stay strong!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: March 23, 2011 5:30 AM    Post subject: Re: Day 3 and I am bursting in tears Reply with quote

Crazy_In_CT wrote:
On Saturday, I realized that it was time to quit. I couldn't breathe anymore and I was tired of waking up in the middle of the night coughing. I made the choice to go buy the patch. (I was terrified to try to quit cold turkey after smoking for 22 years.) So I am on the the patch now for 3 days and I am struggling really bad. The worst for me is in the morning and after meals. You see, I actually enjoyed smoking. I liked the taste and sometimes even the smell.
I have started trying to find things to keep my mind and hands occupied but I don't really have any moral support (about anything) from my husband and he actually threw a pack a of cigarettes at me today. Told me he liked me better when I smoked. How am I supposed to stay strong and fight this addiction? I really want to fight this. I want to be healthy. Please help.

I feel so bad for you. I am sure by now you've relapsed but I sure hope not.

I just wanted to chime in and say that the whole "I enjoyed smoking" part of your message is something EVERY person on this board thought. I promise you, after you've been quit for awhile, you can take a look back and see the truth. You never enjoyed smoking. You just enjoyed not not smoking. Not smoking sucked so when you were not not smoking it felt good. It tricks every single smoker into thinking they enjoy smoking.

Quit attempt #2!
Crazy_In_CT

Quit Date:
March 13, 2011

PostPosted: March 23, 2011 9:31 PM    Post subject: Day 11--- Reply with quote

Thank you all for your words of support, they have helped a great deal. I did slip the day before yesterday and take 2 drags off a friends cigarette Scowling Demon but immediately felt sick. It tasted sooo gross. It was a reminder of why I am quitting. other than that slip, the cravings have calmed down a lot. I have found my personal tools to help fend off those cravings. I feel confident that I can stay quit. Smile
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: March 24, 2011 12:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear from you - with an update! Way to keep it going! Quitting really is a roller coaster ride...just buckle your seat belt and go for the ride! You will find your way to freedom! One day at a time works for me!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 27, 2011 12:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep choosing life, cc! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: March 27, 2011 9:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtg, never quit quitting! Smile

Essie
4/14/04
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 28, 2011 9:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there, cc.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
brownbrown

Quit Date:
December 12, 2011

PostPosted: December 21, 2011 11:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same problem with me Sad((
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: