quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Starting a new quit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamatam

Quit Date:
June 6, 2005

PostPosted: January 10, 2012 5:27 PM    Post subject: Starting a new quit Reply with quote

I joined this site several years ago and quit for 5 1/2 moths. I started smoking but I check the site every 2 or 3 months. I have't chose a quit date yet but I have drastically cut down. I have a tendency to smoke more than my usual 4 a day when I am around others who are smoking.

Does anyone have any effective tips for being around other smokers while in the early stages of a quit?

Thanks!

Bamatam
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: January 10, 2012 7:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes on your upcoming Quit.

I have been quit for 8 years now after many failed attempts. Cigarettes have no appeal to me anymore. I NEVER have an urge to smoke.

On those occasions in the past when I failed, I would bum a smoke from someone. What worked for me was to carry my own cigarettes and lighter with me in the early days of my Quit. That way I was constantly reminding myself that I was not smoking because I chose not to smoke, not because I didn't have the opportunity. That might not work for too many people, but it did for me.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 10, 2012 10:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told everyone I knew that I was no longer smoking. When out with friends who were smoking, I didn't want to appear weak so I wouldn't let myself smoke.

We all have our own demons and must face them differently. What works for one may not work for another. Try everything you can think of and discover what your best plan is.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 16, 2012 1:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just quit for TODAY! Commit to it and stick to it...just today! Then do it again tomorrow... With "just 4" cigarettes a day - your body and brain are in a constant state of nicotine withdrawal. If you can get through about 72 hours without nicotine - the physical need for nicotine should lessen. You can do it! Just take it one day at a time! Its been over 7 years since my last cigarette.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: