quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hello All
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psharp0819

Quit Date:
September 5, 2012

PostPosted: September 5, 2012 9:34 PM    Post subject: Hello All Reply with quote

Hello My name is Pamela. I decided today out of the blue that I was going to give up smoking. This is only day one but so far I am doing ok. I do plan to stay away from smoking but I have noticed this may just be one of the most difficult task I have ever tried to complete. I am currently trying to eat candy or do anything to keep me from thinking about smoking, but.....thats becoming easier said than done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 6, 2012 8:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right when you wrote that this is one of the most difficult tasks you've ever tried to complete. However, it is also absolutely the most rewarding. I've been quit for over 8 years now and feel fantastic. When I was smoking, I didn't realize that I wasn't taking deep breaths. After quitting, deep breathing is a real pleasure.

Please don't give in to old Laughing Demon , Pamela. Being free of the nicotine addiction is wonderful.

As for helpful hints; read Kevin's Tales on this site, visit the American Lung Association's site and work the modules in Freedom From Smoking there, read everything you can put your hands on about the dangers of smoking and how best to quit.

Just know you can do this and you'll be a far happier, healthier and wealthier person without this addiction.

Please post often on this site. I check it daily and would be happy to keep in touch with you.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
psharp0819

Quit Date:
September 5, 2012

PostPosted: September 7, 2012 8:55 AM    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I am currently on day three and still have not smoked. It seems to get easier everyday. Although it is still a bit difficult, it seems I now know more of what to expect so its not near as scarey/overwhelming. I am determined to stay smoke free. I will keep you guys updated often!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2012 9:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, Pamela. Hang on to that precious quit you've got going. You'll never, never regret it. By the way, stash your savings from not buying cigs and do something really special for yourself. Boogie!

Jo
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2012 1:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I posted but guess I had another senior moment....you can do this Pamela...choose to live everyday...choose not to smoke everyday...choose to be happy everyday....you will have pitfalls, we all did but in time you will learn that smoking does not make anything better only worse in the long run. Read as much as you can on how to quit and grab every hand offered.....you can do it.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 7, 2012 1:42 PM    Post subject: You bet you can do it! Reply with quote

Congratulations Pamela on taking back your life and removing the chains of slavery from your lungs. These people here can help you by answering questions (never think any are dumb cause quitting is a new game to smokers and none of us knew how to do it in the beginning) The WoofmanG gang is a great support group.

I've been quit 6 years now and it's the single best thing I ever did for ME in my life. And if I can do so, anyone can quit. I still have friends who are shocked that I am still quit. I was the poster child for never ever ever quitting.... but I began hating my life and hating not being able to breathe and hating feeling like a second class citizen standing outside smoking when others were inside having fun.

Best things I did to help ease the transition:

Drank fruit juice and carried it around in those little single serving bottles. Amazing how that little burst of natural sugar helped my brain and the hand to mouth with the little bottle was very good replacement for smoking and the motions of lighting a cig.

You can make it hard on yourself or easy. I did the cry baby thing at first then realized what I was doing was good. So put on a positive attitude and go for it! Just don't feel sorry for yourself and you have won half the battle Smile

Happy freedom
Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: September 8, 2012 11:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does get easier. Just be strong, and be tuff. BTW, a big congratulations on your decision to quit.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2012 7:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pamela, how is it going today? I know you are staying busy but don't forget to rest too.....ole Scowling Demon can use many tricks to get you feeding him again. Juice was a huge help for me along with ice water and hard candy....of course my lightbulb came on and everything clicked when I accepted it was choice not luck in quitting.... let us hear from you.
Kay

psharp0819

Quit Date:
September 5, 2012

PostPosted: September 10, 2012 10:52 PM    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I made it through the weekend and everyday only get easier. I eat lots of candy, chew gum, chew on straws or anything to keep me busy. I drink tons of water, and have started eating healthy and doing daily walks. I already feel better! (Other than the massive headaches when I tried to stop caffine as well; therefore, I now drink my morning cup of coffee and the headaches go away) I do still think of smoking at times but it has become a habit of the past more than a crave. As soon as I think about smoking I try to busy myself and it seems to work great. I am hanging in strong and loving every minute of it. Thank each and everyone of you for your support. Your messages make a world of difference!!!When I have a hard time I can read these messages and I feel so much better! Thank you all again!!! I will keep you guys updated!

I have now stopped smoking for 5 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes, 45 seconds. Laughing
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 11, 2012 8:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, sounds like you're winning the battle. Good for you. Just keep up what you've been doing and you'll join the ranks of non-smokers. It's a wonderful place to be. Smile

Jo
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 11, 2012 8:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Pamela...if the coffee bothers you, try ice water or juice after you finish the cup....helped me....
Kay

essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: September 12, 2012 6:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamela and congratulations on your quit! Sounds like you are doing great with this. Keep us posted.

Essie
4/14/04
psharp0819

Quit Date:
September 5, 2012

PostPosted: September 12, 2012 9:20 PM    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I am still doing well. I have cravings here and there but I have noticed they seem to be at stressful times and I have found ways to focus on other stuff. Other than that I rarely think about smoking anymore. I can not believe how easy this has been for me. I just know I am quitting no ifs, ands, or buts about it so I dont sit and feel sorry for myself. I stay active and busy and it does wonders. Thank you all for your support and I will update you all again soon. Pamela

I have now stopped smoking for 1 week, 5 hours, 17 minutes, 55 seconds.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 12, 2012 9:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful, wonderful. You're on the right road and keeping busy. Hang in there.

Jo
psharp0819

Quit Date:
September 5, 2012

PostPosted: September 19, 2012 10:47 AM    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I am still smoke free. It gets easier everyday. Thank you all for the support you have given me. I am hanging in there and feelings better everyday!

I have now stopped smoking for 1 week, 6 days, 18 hours, 46 minutes, 29 seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: