quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
20JPSplease

Quit Date:
May 1, 2013

PostPosted: April 11, 2013 3:24 PM    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm 37, male, been smoking 20 a day for 18 years.
I have never been able to stop for more than day, until this January. When I read a well known Quit book (I won't name it, I know you hate spam).
I managed to stop for 30 days, using the anti-smoking knowledge in the book, willpower, doubling my food intake especially sweet food, cake, biscuits, chocalate and sucking boiled sweets. I felt all the usual benefits - clean teeth, more energy, no smell I even thought my eyesight improved.
Tragically I fell back into the trap " I'll just have one" . I have never enjoyed a smoke more than that first one, so I had another until I was back where I started maybe enjoying 2 a day, the rest just addiction. I have re-read my book, hasn't helped I think because you lose the shock value-wake up call on the first read.
Since then I have been trying cold turkey every week, and trying to cut down but really achieving very little. At least I know now that I CAN stop for 30 days it is possible.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 12, 2013 8:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitting is possible. I had smoked for more than 45 years and quit cold turkey but only after being diagnosed with asthma. As of last Wednesday, I've been quit for 9 years.

Quitting isn't easy but it's so worth the effort. I don't have any secrets but can tell you what helped me. Of most value was a journal. When I craved a smoke, I picked up pen and paper and wrote how I was feeling and anything else that came to mind. By the time I had finished with my writing, the craving was gone. I also drank lots of water.

I wish you the best. Just hang on and give old Scowling Demon a strong kick where it hurts the most.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: