quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What I did to stay smoke free on Saturday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 12:49 AM    Post subject: What I did to stay smoke free on Saturday Reply with quote

Today was a beautiful day here in Delaware. My wife and her mother went to DC with our church choir group, so I was left alone to shop for a tonneau cover for my Toyota Tacoma truck.

I went to a couple of places, getting info, pricing, etc. The second place I won't mention (because I can't remember it) but it seemed like a retirement home. The business was run by a bunch of elderly people and the office reeked of stale cigarettes. It was disgusting especially now that I am an ex-smoker. One guy who looked like Uncle Junior from the Soprano's was watching TV in a seperate room in this (house?) office. It was like a Fellini movie.

Anyway, it got weirder. When I asked one of the older ladies about their selection of products, another one came out from the back room, reached into her bra, and pulled out a couple of little white pills and popped them. When I insisted that a product (I just saw it at the 1st store) did exist, an elderly man who kept yelling from a back room finally came out from the same back room and said to follow him outside. I followed him with his cane outside to their storage yard, past racks of pickup truck covers that were used, some looked damaged. He kept yelling for Darryl. "Darryl, Darryl" he yelled as a younger man drove around the yard in a pickup truck oblivious to the man.

I bolted outta there, laughing to myself, feeling some pity for the elderly folks there who obviously had a business that not only was faltering, but with a loser like Darryl running the yard, it was a matter of weeks if not days before they would totally fold and go out of business.

Needless to say, I went back to the first store and ordered my cover from them. At least they were alot more organized and professional.

Then, I came home and played drums for about an hour and a half. I figured, I better get some fun in while the house is all quiet. My dog Snoopy settled in to watch me, and soon left and found a quiet place under one of the beds upstairs.

Later, I headed out to the high school athletic fields and broke out 2 of my biggest box kites and let them loose. I was able to get the bigger one out all the way, about 300 yards on a heavy duty salt water Penn fishing reel with 50 lbs test dacron line.

I let the 2nd kite loose and just as it was starting to get some serious altitude it turned left and wrapped abound the 1st kite's line. After I untangled that mess the wind was starting to die off and the 1st kite was descending. I dropped the 2nd kite and started reeling in line, but caught another updraft and was able to re-launch the 1st kite.

I thought about getting out one of my three 2-line stunt kites, but I saw my dog Snoopy hanging out under my truck in the shade and thought he looked a little parched. Besides, the wind was a little unsteady today.

So, I reeled everything in and headed back home. I did not smoke anything today. I used to smoke even when flying kites, even though it takes 2 hands to control them. How bad is that?

I'm trying to fight an urge to smoke right now, so this is why I'm rambling. I know this will pass and I will not give in. I will drink some water and then chew gum.

I made some progress today in my garage too. After kite flying, I came back home and worked in my garage. I am converting it from a sh*thole into an organized woodworking shop. I have my table saw, router table, mitre saw, workbench and storage shelving complete. I also mounted some pegboards and hooks for tool organization.

I made some shelving out of old doors that I ripped in half on the table saw and mounted to the walls. My neighbor just finished building a deck and had alot of miscellaneous lumber left over and let me have it all. I organized it in a neat pile in an out of the way area in my backyard.

There is enough there to build alot of birdhouses, picnic benches, and miscellaneous wood projects. I love it when I get wood for free, it just makes those projects more economical.

So, I will leave on a positive note! I had a busy day, but found the time to relax, and enjoy and share my experience. I did not smoke today and remain nicotine free once again going on day 13, cold turkey.

If you read this entire message and I kept you smoke free for a couple of minutes then I have accomplished my job. Keep up the quit and God Bless all of us! Smile
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 8:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy's and there toys. Laughing I too read the whole post. Sounds like you had a fun filled day. You are almost through with heck week and doing great. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 1:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank:

Come on over to Ky and spend a Saturday with me. I also have something that helps keep me from thinking about cigs.

Kinda need to concentrate on what you're doin' in this activity, so it's easy not to think about smoking. Smile

Nice quit you have going! Keep it up, Frank, you are doing FINE!

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 2:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank!

What an awesome day!! What kind of dog is Snoopy? (When I was a kid we had a dog named Charlie Brown...) What kinda drums do you play?

What a rock'n way to spend a Saturday!

-Zuzu
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 2:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thats an awesome hobby too! I used to have a 4WD, but it rarely got offroad. I would love to try that with someone else's vehicle though.

Good thing you have that big winch on the front. I bet it gets used every so often, huh?

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! You are also doing an awesome job on your quit. Stay with it man!

Zuzu, I have a 5 piece Mapex Mars Pro set that I play mostly in the rock style. I am not in a band, or do I play outside of my house, but I do enjoy playing. My favorite drummers are Neil Peart (Rush) and Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman (Rhythm Devils) of the Grateful Dead and Carter Beauford of Dave Matthews Band and many more of course.

kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 7:52 PM    Post subject: I did Reply with quote

Hey Franie,

Yes, I did -- read your entire message and thanks for wrting it. Sounds like you had a wonderful day just hanging out, doing whatever you wanted to do with your pal Snoopy. You've got an awesome quit going -- 13 days. What a great beginning.

When you finish building a bird house, please post a photo. That sounds like a fun endeavor.

Living free for 2M, 2W, 2D, 22H, 20M and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 8:08 PM    Post subject: ya Reply with quote

OK - ME TOO. I read it. And all of 'em.
Frank-I enjoy wood working too. Mostly so I have something to paint on.
ZuZu - You could have him cut you out things to paint.
Tom -, I'm going to have to show those pictures to hubby. I can't explain to him what 4-wheel drive is actually for. I grew up in the mountains (lots of trees and logging roads). So, we used to do what was called "boonie romping" back in the day. Never attempted anything quite like what you're doing however.

Wink K
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 8:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaye:

Logging roads, you say. I LOVE the thoughts that the term "logging roads" conjures up for me.

I was raised in the midwest, but I LOVE the west. I have made several trips to Colorado, worked in Idaho a couple years in the pandhandle region, and I would love to get back out to see the good old Rockies again (or the Sierras, or the Cascades).

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Last edited by tsjay49 on June 27, 2004 8:51 PM; edited 1 time in total
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 8:44 PM    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Ya, the Sierras are pretty great. Lots of creeks, rivers, meadows and your personal favorite - mountains with rocks.

I've always wanted to see Kentucky Blue Grass and the horses. Some day.

K

Rolling Eyes
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 8:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was raised near Chicago, and when I was just 11 years old, I got my first look at the West. It was love at first sight!

My sister was a stewardess on the California Zephyr, a passenger train that ran from Chicago to SF. I got to take a trip with her one time.

I will never forget the beauty of the Feather River Canyon! The train ran right through that canyon, and it was just plain breathtaking!

Tom

kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 9:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankiet wrote:
I have a 5 piece Mapex Mars Pro set

nice kit you got there, Frank - and Neil Peart is one of my all-time favorite rock drummers, too - do you know Prairie Prince (The Tubes, Journey, Jefferson Starship, Chris Isaak, Brian Eno, David Byrne, etc...)? i saw him about 10 days ago with Todd Rundgren (he's the drummer for Todd's "Liars" tour), and i don't think i've ever heard a better performance from any rock drummer in my life.

keep that quit going!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 27, 2004 9:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait.. I think Frankiet just called me a winch.. I'm pretty sure he did just call me a winch... (grin)

That's a awesome looking drum set! I used to date a drummer. I made up lots of drummer jokes. They're not very funny.

-Zuzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: