quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did you see this?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > just for fun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Crave-inator

Quit Date:
August 11, 2003

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 3:46 PM    Post subject: Did you see this?! Reply with quote

I just found this on my home page - I'm pasting the whole article - it's short. Barb (The Crave-inator)

Quitting is Just the Beginning

The reality lockdown is going up in smoke with PAX TV's "Cold Turkey," a show that puts 10 chain smokers in a house for three weeks without cigarettes for the chance to win some cash.

One of the 10 participants, 32-year-old Amy Hall, claims she is just one of the many who were tricked into kicking the habit. She told "Extra" that being stranded in a house with nine strangers going through nicotine withdrawals wasn't pretty.

"I was beyond angry when I found out that we were here to quit smoking. It's not anything that I wanted to do," Hall revealed. "It's like a car wreck; it's hard to quit smoking."

But Executive Producer Stuart Krasnow said the show, hosted by A.J. Benza, is a sign of the times: "I think the people who smoke have become the enemies of society, and I thought it'd be a great idea to have a little fun with them and see what they could learn on the way."

"Cold Turkey" will light up the tube this fall on PAX TV. And for more on this reality must-see, watch Friday's edition of "Extra."
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 5:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think "reality" shows in general are trash, but this concept has got to be the worst i've ever heard yet; to lock a bunch of addicts into a house, forcibly deprive them of the means to feed their addictions (to say nothing of their freedom of choice), and point cameras at them, is not only cruel, it's sadistic.

and the comment by the show's producer is at once arrogant, unfeeling, and clueless. he talks about these people as if they're public enemy number one, and yet, even if they were, there's no civilized state anywhere in the world where they'd be treated with such unspeakable cruelty and put on public display like a bunch of animals in a zoo; amnesty international would have a field day.

and we call this entertainment.

i'm going to send a copy of my comments to pax tv. if you'd like to join me, their online contact form is located here: http://www.pax.tv/contact/

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 5:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiney happy people holding hands....

Last edited by Zuzu on July 8, 2004 12:33 PM; edited 1 time in total
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 5:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted this to the producers at PAX

I just read about your show "Cold Turkey" and I am offended by both the concept and the comments made by your producer. The idea that it would be fun to watch a whole house full of addicts go through withdrawal together is the most sadistic thing I can think of for entertainment purposes. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

The addiction to nicotine is not a joke and the tobacco companies continued ability to push this drug legally is one of the sorriest situations in this country but to take advantage of the victims is dispicable.

I support the decision to quit smoking and, having been quit myself for over a year, understand the horrible nature of this particular addiction. Next I suppose you will want to film alcoholics recovering. Hey, nothing like the DT's to entertain the masses.

I for one have no interest in the suffering of others. I will not be watching that or any other PAX TV show anytime soon.

I wish you peace.

alison
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 5:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more reason I don't watch TV

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 6:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuzu wrote:
They're getting paid ... they're volunteers.

i suppose that your comments are directed at my "freedom of choice" statement above, Zuzu, and i grant you that point; they could choose not to participate. that part of my statement was based on the contestant who's quoted as saying that she - and other contestants - were duped into participating in this show under false pretenses. but i still have to ask: in what way does the fact that they're getting paid mitigate the cruelty - and extremely poor taste - of this concept?

if the concept of the show was people locked into a house for a month with nothing to eat but themselves or each other, would their eventual cannibalism be an acceptable thing to show on tv, as long as they were getting paid?

i gave myself emphysema by smoking for 35 years. despite numerous attempts to quit over that period of time, i always voluntarily went back to smoking, because i'm an addict. that was my choice, and i'm living with the consequences of that choice now.

my mother struggles for every breath she takes because she has congestive heart failure; she voluntarily chose to quit smoking many years ago, but it was her voluntary choice to smoke for over 30 years before quitting that brought her to where she is now.

my father died of stomach cancer that had metastasized from the lung cancer that the surgeons swore they'd removed - along with half of one of dad's lungs - nearly 18 months earlier. he was a lifelong smoker who tried more times than i can count to quit, and always voluntarily went back to feeding his addiction until it killed him.

my brother died of colon cancer at the age of 43; he voluntarily fed his addiction to nicotine for most of his life.

and beyond the profound tragedies that smoking has brought into my personal life, 440,000 people will die this year from smoking-related causes in america alone; i find that appalling.

i find it more appalling that anyone could even think to try and turn something with effects this horrifying into light entertainment.

"panem et circenses"
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 7:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zuzu on July 8, 2004 12:33 PM; edited 1 time in total
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 12:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

the definition of cruel is: "Disposed to inflict pain or suffering, or to find satisfaction in the pain or suffering of others"; the producers of this show - and its sponsors, and the pax network - are inflicting pain and suffering on these people and offering it up as a spectacle to make money. the fact that the victims are "willing" (because they're being paid) does nothing to lessen the cruelty of the concept; i'm quite certain that there's just about nothing you could imagine, no matter how vile, that you couldn't find somebody who'd be willing to do it for money (hence, the rise in the incidence of these so-called "reality" tv shows over the past several years).

further, i do not agree that this is analogous to a jerry springer episode (except in the sense of the utter tastelessness of both); jerry springer does not invite people to come on his show and put them through physical and emotional pain like that caused by withdrawal from nicotine so his audience can watch them twist and squirm and claw at the walls (at least, if he does, i haven't heard of it).

and i can hardly believe that you really consider the fact that california has passed a law to protect prison workers from the indisputably harmful effects of being forced to breathe the toxins contained in second-hand smoke for prolonged periods of time cruel. would you think it was cruel to teachers if they passed a law that made it illegal for teachers to smoke in school? if not, why not?
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 2:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zuzu on July 8, 2004 12:34 PM; edited 1 time in total
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 2:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find most of reality TV to be tasteless and demeaning to the participants. I think this is especially true in this case. I agree with Margaret and Kevin that the targeting of smokers is deliberately cruel. I can not defend smoking, but smokers seem to be the one minority it is alright to ridicule. Other addicts are not treated with the same contempt.

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 8:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
...can you not see, in addition to what Kevin said, that they are belittling our quitting attempts and our successes?

very good point, Margaret, and one which i wish i'd included in my last response, but it was quite late...

Bonnie wrote:
Other addicts are not treated with the same contempt.

another very good point, Bonnie - as alison alluded to in her response, above; what if the show were about 10 alcoholics going cold turkey and suffering withdrawal and possibly DTs? would anyone think that was entertainment?
howardl

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 10:52 AM    Post subject: My two cents worth ....... Reply with quote

I kind of straddle a fence on this one........ I agree to a point that it's cruel to lock someone up and deny them their drugs........ But in the same breath ....... if this works for any of those guys to get them off cigs and see life is still liveable without nicotine....... hmmmmmmmm
----------

Cigs take lives no two ways about it - they take lives slowly, painfully, consistently and drastically. Drastic circumstance sometimes require drastic measures. I firmly believe these folks were duped into this as I'm sure no nicotine addict would voluntarily sign up for forced abstinence. I also believe that any contract they signed has a "get out" clause. I firmly believe they can walk when they want to.
-----------

My biggest hope is that people ranging from smokers, ex smokers, none smokers, curious smokers will watch this and see what these people go through to quit. How irrational they become how absolutely at their wits end they become. How they would gladly sell their souls for a cig at any given moment. My biggest fear is that it will magnify the pain and suffering of quitting and deter smokers from trying to quit.
------------

This is reality TV at it's bawdy worst I guess but it "could" do some good. Let's not also forget this is the USA and the average attention span will have forgotten this show existed 2 days after the last episode.

Just my thoughts.

If you put your hand in the fire and you get burned, don't sue the guy that built the chimney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Crave-inator

Quit Date:
August 11, 2003

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 10:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should withhold judgement until we know how this show is going to be presented. In a positive tone, this kind of show could be beneficial. PAX is a great (wholesome, family oriented) network, and I can't imagine them ever showing a show that is mean or in poor taste. Barb (The Crave-inator)

PS. I really am a peace-loving kind of person, and the thought never entered my mind that posting this article would create such a negative response. I wish I hadn't posted it.
Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 11:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find this concept wrong and I am further discouraged by the entertainment tastes of our society. While I believe that most reality shows are probably scripted and not truly representative of what people may go through in relationships or emotionally, I'm sure there are some that are not. How many people show up on Maury Povich to hear a 'secret' from their spouse, only to discover their child may not be theirs or that they've been betrayed by their spouse? While those situations may or may not be legitimate, I can't imagine how shattered I would feel to hear such news in front of an audience, especially an audience that is cheering or booing. Anybody see 'Hope Floats?'

There was once a pilot for a show of practical jokes, like a modern 'Candid Camera'. The first 'joke' was to take a family of four up in a charter airplane and then pretend that the plane was going to crash. The kids were crying and the mother was trying to console them while she was obviously terrified herself. Nobody was laughing when they were told that it was a setup.

I think the concept of this show is tantamount to burning ants with a magnifying glass. True, it's hard to feel sorry for people who are willing to have their private lives filmed in order to gain a glimpse of fame, but since when is it okay to enter a business contract under false pretenses? If I understand it correctly, these people are not volunteering to not smoke for three weeks and have it filmed - they are lured to participate under some other pretense and then discover what the real show is when it's too late. Didn't the producers see what happened to Jenny Jones? What does it say about our society when such a show is expected to be watched? As Alison commented, I can't imagine a show being developed that followed heroin addicts through withdrawal, or parents of a murdered child through the grieving process, or anybody through any kind of painful process. The callousness with which the producer refers to smokers as 'enemies of society' raises my hackles. 'Enemies of Society'?! That's a little harsh, don't you think? Are compulsive gamblers 'enemies of society'? How about shopping addicts? Alcoholics? Overeaters? Why smokers? Grrrr! I have my own opinion as to who really comprises the 'enemies of society', but as Zuzu pointed out, that becomes politics....

As much as I admire and respect you, Zuzu, I have to disagree with your opinion that it is cruel to disallow smoking in prison. Those people are there for a reason and while I am willing to see my taxes go to keep them off the streets and from further harming anyone, I am not willing to pay for medical services that will undoubtedly be in higher demand if these inmates chain smoke for 20 to life. I also don't care one fig about their morale or comfort. I know they are there AS punishment, not FOR punishment, but I don't think they are there to enjoy their surroundings either. If a law abiding citizen such as myself is not allowed to smoke in Army housing on Ft Dix (at least that was the rule in the early '90s), why should a child molester be allowed to smoke in his cell?

I suppose the best course is to just turn it off. There will always be an element that encourages such entertainment (and much worse). I don't expect those things will go away just because I don't like them, but I won't hesitate to tell them that.
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: July 7, 2004 11:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not answer this post before as I was in crisis myself here. With my dad in the hospital and all. But I agree with Kevin and quite a few of the others.

I find all reality shows highly offensive and also the sitcoms as well. They are exploiting volenteers to do this and that in it self is offensive. Ihave my doubts that these folks have a clue as to what they are really in for.
I did not really understand how tough it was going to be to quit smoking until I tried the first time. Perhaps they have tried before and kind of know what is going to happen but I seriously doubt that they can even begin to understand what it is going to be like quiting with a room ful of strangers in a house where they cannot leave. I would be amazed to even see any of them come out of this alive or even mentally intact.

Only the strongest among them is going to make it hence the survival of the fittest.

Zuzu think of it this way you have a bug land on your hand hence he volinteered to land there and you pull the wings off the bug because he has "volunteered to land" and this bug is trying his hardest to get awaynow and can't because he volunteered to land on your hand. This is what I see is gong to be like for the folks that will be locked in that house with no cigarettes.

Yes it is the cruelest form of punishment. And stoping smoking in the prisions not only protects the prisoners who don't smoke but also the staff and the visitors also. I am sure that they will find some way to help those who do smoke and have limited access to the outside. But then you must rmemeber too. THEY ARE PRISIONERS AND HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG even if they are human beings also. Is it really cruel to take away some things that are not necessary. The only thing that they should actually be entitled to is 3 squares a day and some very basic human rights. I do not agree that they shoud be allowed tv and roaming about rights. After all this reinforces that what they did wrong is correct to do.

Now back to the Pax television show. And all shows like it. I just wonder if enought of the american folk complained to the stations about these kinds of shows if we could get them removed from being aired? It is just a thought. I see enough blood guts and mayhem in normal everyday life to not want to see it in these so called reality based shows.

It is like the show survior yeah right what the heck do they know about actual survival. Perhaps they should take these people and put them into real life situations and have them survive or perhaps not as this would also be cruel and unsual punishment of which our nation says we can't do but do all the time on tv.

This is what I wrote to Pax tv :

Quote:
I wish to make a comment about a show I hear you are going to be putting on in the near future. It is apparently a reality based show about folks who smoke. The concept I beleive is to put them into a house with other folks(strangers) and refuse to let them have their cigarettes. I find this concept highly offensive and not because I am a smoker. I quit 3 months ago by choice. These folks will apparently have no choice. I also doubt that they have any concept as to how hard it really is to quit smoking. Especially in a house with other folks (strangers) all going throught the addiction withdrawl from cigarettes. This is a harder addiction to kick then even herion. And it is especially not entertainment. Not to mention how much you are belittling those of us who have already quit and are working toward recovery. How can you do this. And why? It is anything but entertaining except maybe to some very sick individuals who find pain and suffering entertaining.

This is my thoughts on the matter.

Two months, three weeks, five days, 38 minutes and 54 seconds. 3481 cigarettes not smoked, saving $600.48. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > just for fun All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: