quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's with the dreams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 1:28 PM    Post subject: What's with the dreams? Reply with quote

Last night I had another dream, like the ones I had months ago in which I smoked and woke up in a panic. But this one was different because I ALMOST smoked, and the dream dragged on and on and on. And I was about to smoke a cigarette for what seemed like hours. I woke up absolutely worn out. And very angry.

On the one hand I suppose it's progress to dream about ALMOST smoking rather than smoking, but on the other hand it seems to me that after 8 months I shouldn't be dreaming about smoking at all. I rarely think about smoking and I absolutely never want to go there again, so what's with the dreams? Does anyone have any ideas about why we dream this crap when we don't even think about nicotine most of the time?

I really hate to rant and whine, and I tell myself and others all the time that it takes a long time to learn how to be normal or how to live life as a non-smoker or whatever. But I'd like some advice about what proactive measures I can take every day to start being the vibrant, happy non-smoker I envision. I haven't been able to shed these 15 pounds I gained, though I walk or run every day and eat healthful foods. I'm also plagued with a feeling that I'm not FUN any more (I think Sandyz wrote about this too)-- though I try to focus on positive things and I can usually buck myself up to be pleasant and even jovial at a party, I find that much of the time I feel a general malaise. Not depression, just a blah, tired, apathetic feeling that sort of hangs in the back of my thoughts. I can't seem to decide what I want to do, what to focus on for even a few hours, or even what I'd LIKE to do. Anybody out there having these kinds of troubles? Advice? Maybe a kick in the butt? Smile

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 1:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel Honey,

You are heading up on 9 months and that is another of the road blocks to the quit that falls under the three (at least in my opinion). What you are feeling is normal it is just another bump in the road and like the rest of them you have encountered it is smaller than the one before. You may see it as big but that is cause you have lost the perspective of how huge the mountian you climbed to get to your quit. You will feel better soon and then you will find yourself at that year mark and then you will know in your hear that you can do this because it is the right thing to do.

I wish you peace.

alison
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 2:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alison,

I didn't think of the "threes" and I appreciate your encouragement. I wish I could find my old cheery self somewhere in here!

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 2:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will Darlin it just takes time. LIke I told Sarah this is temporary. Good and bad never last so enjoy the heck out of the good and ignore the bad it won't last. You can get through this like everything else and your smile is waiting for you an the other side.

I wish you peace.

alison
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 2:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel, sometimes I have these feelings. Maybe it's because I spent so much time smoking in my previous life..and now without that "chore/reward", I'm not sure what to "do". Then I keep having the feeling that something "big" is coming, a really big change in my life, and I'm impatient to get started. ????? Huh?

Oh and dreams. I always dream about dead people. Oh, they're not dead in my dreams, just in real life. I rarely dream about people that are still alive.

So, last night, I dreamt about Dolly D. Dolly D. was someone i went to grammer and high school with. She had a heart problem all her life (we thought it was cool that she didn't have to do gym), and died at about 21. Now, I haven't seen Dolly D or thought about Dolly D in over 30 years. Yet, last night my whole dream was about her. Oh, and i was speaking French in my dream, too.

Who can explain these things? Ya didn't smoke, ya aren't going to smoke, and that's what counts!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 2:39 PM    Post subject: Re: What's with the dreams? Reply with quote

Marvel wrote:
I'm also plagued with a feeling that I'm not FUN any more...

how can somebody with a fruitbat for an avatar even think such a thing?

(sorry, couldn't resist... Very Happy )

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 3:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Marvel... fun is in the eye of the beholder.... maybe it's not YOU who is not fun.. maybe the rest of the world isn't fun anymore... I think you're fun but you're just hiding it.

SO the smoking dream thing... a friend of mine who does this dream interpretation thing would say that your dreams represent many different things.. one thing they can be/represent is alternative realities... alternative possibilities... where you make other decisions and follow the course of those decisions, differently than the decisions who make and follow in your waking life... so you can actually work out different realities/possibilities. I think she talks all new-agey and funky.... but essentially what she's say is that you relapse in that world, or you "almost" relapse in that world, so you don't have to trouble yourself with such things in this one.

I'm not sure I buy that... but it's an interesting take.. I mean.. you don't even have to think about relapsing today because you're so wearied re: fighting it all last night, eh? You don't have to live that all over in your waking life.

And Allison, why are the threes so bad? My three month and my six months were really good marks.. what's up with that?

-Zuzu
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 3:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not set in stone and as we often say every quit is different but there seems to be a common thread of difficulty for most people around 3 days (of course), three weeks, three months, six months and nine months. I can't say if it is real or coincidental but just voicing the idea that it's a part of the process seems to make it easier for people going through it. I escaped the 6 and 9 month trouble myself but three weeks and three months gave me some trouble until I was directed to the "threes". It may just be superstition but no matter as long as it helps.

I wish you peace.

alison
Girlphoenix

Quit Date:
June 29, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 4:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel - I haven't had a drink in over 4 years and I still dream of sipping wine. I had my first smoking dream the other day - I chuckled when I woke up because I figured this must mean I've really got this thing licked!
Part of kicking any habit is saying goodbye to something which was once near and dear to us. We've gotta create some new habits to fill the void(s) and it's a challenge and it's awkward. But we'll get there, in time. I'm rooting for you!

I have been quit for Nine Days, 9 Hours and 19 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 188 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $46.95.

Sarah
-----------
You never have to quit again!
Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 4:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Girlphoenix - your dreams sound like a rockin' party! There's drinking and smoking - I don't want to know what else Laughing
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 8, 2004 7:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody,

All of your insights are a big help. I guess I need to work on (re)connecting with my inner bat. Very Happy And I hope these dreams are taking care of some of my smoking urges because I will NOT smoke. I do need to develop good habits that I will follow but it's really hard with traveling so much. If I set goals I have to put them off when I go away then I seem to take forever to get back into working toward those goals. I do feel like I need to be getting ready for something big--like life--but I don't seem to focus on what's important.

La la, well maybe I need to modify the FFS program and work toward STARTING and PROGRESSING with something.

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: July 9, 2004 1:22 AM    Post subject: Connected Reply with quote

Marvel...
Quote:
I'm also plagued with a feeling that I'm not FUN any more (I think Sandyz wrote about this too)-- though I try to focus on positive things and I can usually buck myself up to be pleasant and even jovial at a party, I find that much of the time I feel a general malaise. Not depression, just a blah, tired, apathetic feeling that sort of hangs in the back of my thoughts. I can't seem to decide what I want to do, what to focus on for even a few hours, or even what I'd LIKE to do. Anybody out there having these kinds of troubles?

I could have wrote that. My God..I have tried so hard to find myself I can't believe there is another me out there. I have been half ass whinning about so many of my problems I decided it was just me. The evil negitive twin me...

I keep hoping I would find something that feels like it's missing in my life. Shi* that made no since. Reading your post was like looking in a thinking mirror.

The weird dreams that go on forever and I feel exhausted when I get up. Smoking dreams have kicked in again...Although I haven't smoked in my dreams either.

Thanks again Alison for reminding me about the three's...I just answered a post about them not thinking about coming up on the big 9 myself.

Part of me has wanted to post all my problems on the boards another part of me says sit down and shut up. Things could be worst...so many people are dealing with so much more.

Thank you for ranting Marvel...you'll not know how much I could relate to this post.

I feel lighter at heart already...there really is a rainbow after the storm...or rain. When ever. I just needed to know I wasn't alone. There is really a me some where lurking.

Sandyz
Eight months, two weeks, one day, 8 hours, 15 minutes and 9 seconds. 11670 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,593.02. Life saved: 5 weeks, 5 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 9, 2004 9:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sandy,

I guess this shows you that you should always post (even when you think you shouldn't rant any more) because there's someone out there who can understand and relate to what you're saying. And it's good to know we're not alone going through our weird little phases. I've decided to think of this as a phase and be open to the opportunities that present themselves. I'm going to accept what I can't control, work on what I can and focus on being positive, and the fun will come. Cool

You keep hanging in there--you're really a strong, inspiring, and great warrior!

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 12:24 PM    Post subject: Dreams Reply with quote

Dreams are so fascinating. Our subconscious minds work out so much stuff when we'e sleeping. Very powerful.
Once when I was taking swimming lessons as a child, I learned to do the breaststroke in my sleep. I dreamed about it all night and the next day I went to class and I could do it.
So, I've always payed attention to my dreams.
Last night I dreamed about my youngest son - in the dream he was 2 years old (he's 23 now). I have these dreams about him as a little guy when I'm worried about him. I've had some terrifying dreams about him when things have been really bad for him.
I also had a smoking dream last night - it was a big warning to be more careful and less cavalier about smoking. So, I'll pay attention.

Marvel, I also identified a lot with the part of your post about figuring yourself out all over again. Thought I had done that at age 19 (and readjusted at age 30) but now we get to do it again. I feel bored with myself lately and with other people.
Like you said, we'll just be open to the possibilities and stay positive.
K
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 9:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have some good ideas about dreams. I hope my subconscious is taking care of some weird psychological stuff so "I" Exclamation won't have to. And Margaret you may not feel connected to what you do because of what my husband refers to as BVD's. No, that's not underwear--it stands for Brain Vacation Days! I had A LOT of them until about, oh, 5 or 6 months after I quit. That's why my avatar has been a bat. That's DING bat!

But lately I've been getting my brain function back and almost never zone out. I'm hoping that's a sign that my brain is being re-wired, so that along with the spaciness will go the depression (I had some really crummy days earlier in my quit but very few now) and all the undesirable personality habits I had. Laughing

I think it really is best to be patient and just, well, stay that way, dangit! And remember honies, Tamarah is anothah day. Rolling Eyes

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: