quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topic suggestions for new forum
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 9, 2004 11:22 PM    Post subject: Topic suggestions for new forum Reply with quote

If we had a new forum where we could post "other" issues. What would we call it?

(editor's note: the name is a moot point now, but read on for further discussion of the topical focus of this forum... kevin)

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL

Last edited by Carol on July 10, 2004 12:07 AM; edited 3 times in total
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 9, 2004 11:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted for #3 ("I don't have a cig in my hand....now what?"), but i think it's too long, and would propose shortening it to "now what?".

you might also want to consider adding an "other" option, so people could suggest other names you haven't thought of (if you need help with that, let me know).

my "other" suggestion is "what next?" Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 9, 2004 11:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Kevin
I have no idea how to add that now that I have posted the poll. So if you would add other to the list, it would be appreciated.
Can you shorten the "I don't have a cig in my hand...now what" to just
"now what" ....I like that better.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 12:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

done, Carol (FYI: you can change the options in a poll you start by clicking on the "Edit" button in the upper right hand corner of the first post of the thread; this will bring you back to the original text entry page where you can add, remove or edit poll choices the same as when you first put the poll together).

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 2:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol,
I voted other. Actually I like all the choices and could be happy with any of them, but Just wanted to add two possibilities. Life Lessons or Life Changes. these are close to Support for life issues, but I think there is a little difference. I have noticed a common thread in the posts and rambles of most of those with longer quits, and even some of the newer quits. That commonality is that quitting smoking has been only a part of the changes that have occured during each person's quit. Some changes have been subtle, and some dramatic, but all have reported a change in outlook,or emotions, or relationships, or enjoyment of life, etc. it seems that everyone has learned life lessons, and made life changes. I have enjoyed every post that has mentined this, and found most of them to be touching, inspiring, and some have even engendered an "Ah HAH" response. Thanks for reading my long message.

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 7:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I cast a vote for other. I know I am one of the newbies here, but I read a lot of the threads, even if I don't feel I have anything to contribute at the time, I learn a lot. When reading the threads between some of ya'll with the oldest Quits, I often get this mental picture of those old cowboy & indian movies. You know, where the indians are meeting to talk things over. The elders are given seats of honor in the middle, taking charge of the peace pipe, giving sage nods at the words of others, with the youngest members on the edges, not talking much, just taking it all in. Okay, I do go on, but you get my drift. I say it should be named "Council of Elders." Is that too silly or exclusionary?

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 10:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we want to be exclusively to the older quitters? I think the newbies may have a lot of things they would like to discuss here too (like chocolate Wink ) I would like some place to discuss the changes we are experiencing in life or issues we have in life that may be off the topic of smoking. I know on FFS when I was a newbie, I felt like I was being snubbed when I would post on modules higher then actual one I was working. I don't want to do that to others here. Plus since we are going to be addressing all of lifes issues. There may be newbies to smoking who have vast knowledge in other areas. I don't want to miss out on that wisdom. Just my opinion.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 10:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think anyone who has quit should be able to post newbies and veterans alike. They have problems quiting too. I know like so many new folks coming in after quiting I kept wondering now I no longer have smoking to hide behind now what do I do. Let everyone post is my opinion.

Two months, four weeks, 23 hours, 42 minutes and 57 seconds. 3599 cigarettes not smoked, saving $620.91. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 11:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that answered my question. It was too exclusionary. I don't think I meant it that way, and I agree, no one should be excluded from posting on any subject or any forum. Smile

Tonya

~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 12:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I would envision this new forum being open to all quitters. We all learn from those with experience. But the newbies are a valuable part of our quits; it's a great feeling to be helping someone out. This new forum could help them as well as the long timers.

I voted for "life after cigarettes" because that's right where I am today. My hands just don't know what to do with themselves these days. However, since I'm feeling physically so good, I can deal with the hands.

Living free for 3 MONTHS TODAY!!!! and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 4:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am the one who is misunderstanding. I thought that if we were going to suggest this new forum, it would be for life issues....not necessarily how to stay smoke free. You know kind of "how do we deal with this or that now that we don't 'medicate' ourselves with nicotine. Whenever a person gives up an addiction, we have to learn to live without the addiction "holding us up". How many time did we say after a situation "boy do I need a cigarette". Now we have to learn how to deal with situations and the emotions they cause without the cigarettes. Am I Making any sense at all? And I guess what I am saying is that if that is going to be the essence of a new forum, it is something that we all need, no matter where we are in our quits. Kind of --learning to deal with life without ANY crutch. It could be anything; for example:
Marvels love of chocolate (and how she may want to explore that)
a place to share recipes
a places to encourage and suggest exercises
a place to share our feelings
a place to talk about whatever struggles we may have in life.
I don't know maybe I am totally off base here. Maybe this is not what Marvel had in mind at all. Perhaps she will jump in here and explain better.
And the bottom line is Kevin. Is he even willing to add another forum. After all this is his site. And he may have certain perimeters he wants to stay within.
I didn't want to get into a big debate. I thought the "name the forum" poll would be fun, it certainly was not intended to initiate such an intense discussion. Although I would ask; what is it that we have a need for that would spark such energy about this topic.?

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 6:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, if this question is answered, I think it not only will define the forum, but also name it.
Carol wrote:
Although I would ask; what is it that we have a need for that would spark such energy about this topic.?

I love the debate and think it is healthy.

Tonya

~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 7:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there comes a time for all of us when we realize that there's a lot more to quitting smoking than simply quitting smoking (it's kind of like the phenomenon of the "phantom limb"; amputees often go on "feeling" their amputated limb long after it's gone. when we quit smoking, it's like we've amputated that part of our life - and for many of us, that part was huge. so it's not surprising that we feel the phantoms of it for a long time after we stop smoking cigarettes...); some of us will recognize this almost immediately, while for others it will take some time. so i don't think that the proposed forum should be exclusive to people based on the length of their quit; since every quit is different, every quitter will feel the phantoms - and want to try to make sense of them - when it's their time.

as far as opening a new forum, i'm totally open to that, and look forward to watching this discussion unfold (in fact, i hope more members become involved in it). i may step in at some point and make an executive decision on the name, but i think the idea (the sense of which i think Carol expressed quite well) is a good one, and that such a forum could be a great asset to the site.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 8:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I feel that Carol really hit the nail on the head. That's exactly how I would envision an additional forum. Somewhere where we could post things of interest to us which may be of interest to others. After all, we've all become friends so why not share anything from recipes to weight-loss ideas. Makes sense to me.

Living free for 3 MONTHS TODAY!!!!!!! and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 10, 2004 8:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we start with the weight loss ideas? Laughing

Tonya

~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: