quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brace yourselves - fair warning!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 10:26 PM    Post subject: Brace yourselves - fair warning! Reply with quote

Be advised - I intend to totally monopolize this forum!!! Probably my second favorite topic in the world to run my mouth about (next to politics, which is dicey on this site Confused ) Sadly, I only have a minute because I'm at my mom's and she's complaining that I'm typing too loud. I'm going to Minnesota for 2 1/2 weeks for military training, but I will be back with a vengeance in August.

FYI - I have been an athlete and a fitness trainer for several years, both in the military and in the civilian world. My smoking was a serious anomoly to that part of my life. I managed to not develop any noticeable health problems from the smoking, I believe because I'm a dedicated runner and was very physically active throughout most of my smoking years. True, I feel much better now, but I cannot extol the value of exercise loudly enough. I'm chomping at the bit to spend some real time on this topic.

See you in August!!
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 8:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Angel you are exactly what I need right now. I need a good kick in the a@@. I am having trouble with the last 10 lbs. of weight I am carrying around with me. Which is a real pain. Yoga and Pilates and weightlifting are my thing. I can't run (bad knees) but I walk (quickly) on the tread mill. OK those are the excercises that I enjoy to do. I just need to get back on the horse again. Did I mention that I love to eat. Anyway, a good kick with a ranting at me would help if you could. Laughing Thanks

Lisa
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 10:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angel,

Perhaps you read about my 3-month reward; a treadmill. At 67 I'm going to try to "get physical." Think there's any hope for me?

Good luck on your military training. Sounds like you're ready and anxious to begin.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Ben's Mom

Quit Date:
July 6, 2004

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 2:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Angel! You're teasing us! Can't wait to hear all the great stuff you have for us. Have a good trip and congratulations on dumping the nic in your quest for good health!

I've been quit for 9 days, 20 hours, 1 minute and 11 seconds (10 days).
I've not smoked 216 death sticks, and saved $49.67.
I've saved 0 day(s), 18 hour(s) of my life.

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.
unknown author
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 4:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angel,

I'll look forward to some running advice. I haven't been able to keep it up because I've been traveling so much, but I plan to get back on it in mid-August and jump start losing these 15 pounds that seem to adore me. Smile

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: July 17, 2004 11:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - I'm in Minnesota now and found that I have access to a computer lab - sweet! Once I start duty (1400 today) I won't have much time, but here's what I can contribute for now.

Of course, I have my own personal preference for exercise. Honestly, I don't get high on running, but there is nothing else in the world that produces such awesome results. It not only increases your cardio ability, but builds muscle (both upper and lower body - tightens abs - the whole ball of wax) and trims that extra ass I seem to have acquired since the quit. (What's all the commotion back there when I run?) There's no requirement to run FAST (thank God), and I think the problem most people have is that they start too quickly and burn out right away. If you are not an experienced runner and know how to pace yourself, you will probably be suprised at how slow you should start out. It's barely more than a walk (Army calls it the 'Airborne shuffle') That first 1/4 to 1/2 mile will suck worse than all the following distance because you're increasing your heart rate from resting to training. Once that training heart rate is reached it will plateau as long as you keep a constant pace. The bonus factor in running is that it doesn't take as long as walking - even running one mile will benefit you and you can get it over with fairly quickly.

There are infinite alternatives to running, for those of you with joint problems or just a well developed distaste for it. Walking, biking, skiing, rowing, swimming, dancing, soccer with the kids, etc. My alternate favorite is swimming because of the stretching benefit. It's like a combo resistence/stretching workout.

If you really hate exercise - trick yourself. Laughing There must be something that you like to do that requires physical effort (wink wink).

HUGE warning - Don't expect results the first week. We have become so spoiled in this society (reference thread on 'why is hell week taking so long') that if we don't get what we want right away, we give up. Like the poster says "Winners know there is no finish line". By the end of the running season (I don't run in the winter - minus 20 degrees and icy - and I hate treadmills - too boring) I run about 30 miles a week, but when the snow first melts, I only can pound out about 12 and it sucks. It all takes time - if you are easily discouraged, you must find something that you like to do or you will just become depressed and bitter. There is a great chance, however, that if you stick to it, you may find that you don't hate it anymore. Once you've improved your ability over the course of weeks or months, there is a pride and satisfaction in being able to complete a distance you thought impossible before.

Eating - you probably shouldn't listen to me on this one. I eat everything that wanders into my reach. I had coffee, half a pop tart and a handful of Hot Tamales (the candy) for breakfast. Dinner was half a pizza with extra cheese. My cohorts do confirm that if you are physically active - you NEED carbs. The problem with carbs for most folks is that they eat very little else. Pasta, bread and starch are yummy and filling, so people don't balance them out with proteins, veggies, fruits, because they're already full. If you exercise hard and don't eat anything but sliced turkey on a pita with sprouts, you'll starve to death. Well, I would.

Kannprint - Good for you!! It's never too late to start. I don't want to hear that your treadmill has become a clothes drying rack with a light coat of dust! Make it fun (tv viewing - favorite music really loud - pretend you're a model on a catwalk - whatever it takes) and make it a priority.

Ibuz - consider your caboose firmly booted. MOVE IT!!!

Out of time - I'LL BE BACK (read in a Terminator accent)
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 17, 2004 11:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeesh! OK, ok, I'm getting on the Bow flex right NOW. I already did about a mile walk with tiger aka "fatty", but will probably do another one by myself (that way I don't have to stop and smell every bush!). Mad

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 18, 2004 1:27 PM    Post subject: Sunday Reply with quote

I started Pulmonary Rehab last week. I'll share a couple things. The exercise physiologist is having me go slower on the treadmill and the goal is to build up the distance. He said in order to strengthen my lungs that is what I should do.I'm starting at 1.8 mph and will go 30 minutes. And I'm doing it at 10% incline (this is good to build up strength is the lower leg - not good if you have knee problems).
I also mentioned that I have a fruit smoothie before my workout and he said be sure to add protein to it (which I do in the form of Tofu or protein powder). That is my breakfast. I also have some high-fiber cereal.

I haven't had a Laughing Demon attack all week and I'm at 75 days - yahoo!!

Of course, I still have a weight problem. I put a half bag of cookies in a bowl yesterday and ate the whole thing. I was bored.

K
Ben's Mom

Quit Date:
July 6, 2004

PostPosted: July 18, 2004 2:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angel, Nice to hear from you.

I have some questions about swimming. I've been watching the swimming trials and it is inspiring me to get back into the pool.

However, I have some fears. I used to be a pretty good swimmer 30 years ago. Haven't done much of it sense then except dogpaddling. I remember trying to freestyle and thought I was going to suffocate.

Would you suggest starting with swimming lessons, again? I've heard of some masters programs around here, but I'm afraid I am not up to there caliber, yet Wink I have restarted my tennis passion and that is going very well. I am amazed at how much I still love it! I just don't want to get bored. I am also walking a few times a week.

I'm not thrilled with my body in a bathing suit, but I'm determined to put vanity behind me in order to regain my sense of well-being.

Any suggestions?

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.
unknown author
Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: July 19, 2004 2:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you've forgotten how to swim I wouldn't think you'd need lessons. If you are nervous about it try a lap pool - they're usually only 3' deep. On the other hand, if being in lessons will motivate you to go, there's nothing wrong with it. Just like the people on these boards are support for smoking freedom, classmates can be supportive. Everything that we've let fall by the wayside will take time to become fluent again. Just remember not to expect to be able to do what you used to be able to do before all those years went by. I was a competitive swimmer several years ago, but I nearly drowned a couple years ago due to unexpected fatigue (I was in a lake). Don't worry about the swimming suit - if you're doing laps nobody's going to see you except for between the pool and the locker room. They should be minding their own business and doing their own laps anyway!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 19, 2004 3:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to swim laps at my local Y before moving here (it's too far to the Y here.). although I'd had lessons when young, I started just doing laps...a few at the time. the Lifeguard, who is wonderful swimmer, was more than happy to give me tips on how to breathe, improving stroke, and different strokes...backstroke, butterfly, breast stroke...etc.

then, they started a really good class...some to improve stroke, but mostly laps and different strokes...designed to improve speed and number of laps.

you could look into it at a Y....but if there's no formal class, just get in the lap pool....and it's just like quitting...one at a time. I started out at one lap...rest...one lap....rest....and just built up from there. It's one of the best all round excerises, and does minimal damage to joints, etc.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: July 19, 2004 6:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel,

I have gained weight over the last 10 years from 102 lbs to 251 lbs and fight every inch of it to come backoff. Even if I eat rabbit food 6 times a day in small amounts my body says what me drop weight Ha think again. It has been like this for many years like all of my life. But I did break down and spend 100+ for an piece of excercise equipment that I can use here at home it is one of those things that uses power bands. NO not a thing like pam uses but it is circular and it works the abs and thighs but it had delux for other parts of the body and takes only 5 minutes a day I figure if I use it 2 x a day maybe it will work for me. Once in morn and once at night and since I HATE exercise except horsebackriding and beilieve me that works a set of muscles that no ever thought excisted except horse back riders. But at this point that is out of the question as I can not feel my left leg. It is dead. So walking is difficult except short short distances. I am still trying to build the muscle in the leg to walk more than a few feet. Ihave to hold the grocercy cart at the store or boom down I go. But figure this may be the thing to help get the weight off and perhaps my dro too.. LOL

Three months, one week, one day, 7 hours, 57 minutes and 26 seconds. 3973 cigarettes not smoked, saving $685.39. Life saved: 1 week, 6 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 19, 2004 8:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I love that runners high!

You know, you run and run until your tongue hangs out and it feels like your chest will explode as it heaves and heaves, trying to suck enough air into your lungs to sustain life. It's simply mind over matter to make your legs keep pumping, but you do it. You just go on pure grit and determination.

Then, all of a sudden, you get that second wind! You get that runners high, and you feel like you could run all day, and you make it to the end of the driveway.

You get the mail out of the mailbox and then walk the 150 feet back to the house for a cool down period.

Tom

I have been quit for 6 Months, 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 20 hours and 31 minutes (200 days). I have saved $753.20 by not smoking 6,025 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 22 hours and 5 minutes of my life.

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
LadyHouck

Quit Date:
January 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 19, 2004 10:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Thanks Tom!! I needed a good laugh. I think I might make it to my mailbox if I really push myself! LMAO!! Very Happy

Thanks for the smile!

Tonya
6M+

Tonya
3+ years!

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Erma Bombeck
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 11:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please go easy on us sweetie Smile . Remember, we are mostly older folks, fragile and recovering from a bunch of different maladies Embarassed .

I was thinking more of long walks on the beach or kagel exercises Razz ! Not Army ranger training. Ooaahhhh.

Frank, (Air Mobility Command)
Msgt, USAF, Retired

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: