quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Diet/Fitness Goals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 7:47 PM    Post subject: Diet/Fitness Goals Reply with quote

Well, I recently purchased a program called "Slim In 6". I am going to start the program this coming Monday. I need to put down on paper my goals...and also I need to get all of my body measurements so I can keep track of everything. And, I do need a new scale Rolling Eyes Along with this program, walking and a balanced diet I am going to succeed.

My goal is to lose 35 pounds.
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 9:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mindy,

That's 6 what? Weeks, months, days Shocked ? Sounds great (if it's months Laughing ), and I for one would be interested in your specific goals. I do fairly well with diet and exercise most days but I seem to be stuck on a high plateau with these 15 pounds I gained since October (only about 3 of those were chocolate), and I always enjoy reading about successes of others. Good luck!

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

LadyHouck

Quit Date:
January 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started Weight Watchers Online about 2 weeks ago and have lost 7 lbs so far. I am not really motivated to exercise lately for some reason. I usually love to workout, but I haven't gone to the gym in a week. I have got to get motivated. I have 40 pounds to go to get to my goal weight and it is so depressing to think how long that is actually going to take at this rate. Sad

So maybe we can all motivate each other in our weight loss goals like we have been doing with our quits. I knew I would have to loose the weight and just wanted to get past the whole smoking issue before I tackled this part. Now that I am okay with my quit I want to get motivated to loose this extra weight I packed on.

Heres to motivation!!!

Hugs,
Tonya
6M+
40 pounds to go

Tonya
3+ years!

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Erma Bombeck
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 9:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel,
The workout is called "Slim in 6". You can go to www.beachbody.com to read up on it. I ordered mine off eBay. I have read up on it a lot and have read some very good success stories. I am hoping that along with a good diet it will help me slim down and lose weight.
Tonya, actually I have about 40 to lose also! I just want to cut myself a little slack. I have been so depressed lately and I think that has contributed to my weight gain as well, along with the fact that I no longer can smoke to help comfort myself......what a big vicious circle.
LadyHouck

Quit Date:
January 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy,

I can't blame all of my weight on my quit. I needed to loose some weight anyway, but I did put on about 15 pounds just from the quit. What has really helped me not to go into depression is that my dear hubby still looks at me like I weigh 125 pounds and tells me all the time how great I am. Laughing I want to believe him...really I do! LOL Rolling Eyes

We can do this. We can share what is working for us and what is not. I did find a really awesome brownie recipe. I heard about it on Weight watchers and found it at my local grocery store. It is called No Pudge Brownie mix and you make it with the mix and add fat free yogurt. Ends up being fat free and it is absolutely delicious. Kind of a nice little treat for me when I eat chicken and vegies all the time!

One of the reasons my weight loss isn't going so well is because I am not drinking all the water I am supposed to be drinking. I am supposed to drink a minimum of 64 ounces a day. I might get half that, but usually I don't even come close to half. So I will have to push myself in that area for sure.

Hugs,
Tonya
6M and then some

Tonya
3+ years!

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Erma Bombeck
jkolako796

Quit Date:
May 16, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 11:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok- male perspective: I expected to gain some weight when I quit, simply because I love to eat. I planned on offsetting the extra eating by working out more frequently. I have been taking Taekwondo lessons and going out running, as well as trying to keep up with 5 kids in the evening while my wife is working.

Didn't work- I have been working out 3-5 sometimes 6 times a week as well as yard-work and home repair stuff on the weekends. I have now gained 15 pounds. In 2 months. That is ridiculous for me- I have been just about the same weight as I was for the last 6 years (maybe 5 extra pounds by the end of winter, but we have LONG winters in South Dakota!)

My wife is also unhappy about her weight, and if she is unhappy nobody in this house, and possibly on the block, had better even think about being happy!

We have both agreed to start the Atkins diet in one month- we have a trip to Colorado this weekend and then I have a trip to Las Vegas the 2nd week of August- both present too good of opportunities to blow our diets early on, so we are gonna wait till they are done.

My goal? I want to lose the 15 pounds I gained by Thanksgiving, so I can put at least two or three of those pounds back on.

I will exchange good recipes with anyone, I love cooking.

Joshua

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 11:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my 52 last year on Weight Watchers last year and thought that it was pretty easy. I can do that diet in my sleep except I'm a little burned out right now. I do have Dr. Phil's book (ok I admit, I'm a Dr. Phil junkie) and I think it's pretty good. I think that this forum is great. Regardless of the diet, I know we can all help eachother. Thanks Kevin
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 12:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua
About the Atkins diet....
When I was choosing a diet I explored several of the "well-known" programs. I spoke with my doctor and my husbands doctor about the Atkins diet. Both of them told me that the amount of saturated fat that one consumes on that diet is very bad on the heart. Both of the them recommended the similiar (but healthier) South Beach Diet. I have been on it for 1 week + and I have not been hungry at all. I have lost 5 pounds. in one week. I have gobs of info on it if you and your wife are interested.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 8:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, what a neat forum this is. And right on time too.

I began my weight loss attempt this past Monday, using the treadmill and watching what I eat -- sort of. I really tried to gain weight (please don't get angry with me) for years and couldn't. Little did I know that it would be so easy. Just quit smoking. I gained the weight I needed and some to spare. I'm now determined to get rid of some of it. I'm not going to go on a "formal" diet, just increase activity and watch what I eat. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try something else.

It's so good to read all the posts and know I'm not the only one who's gained weight.

Hey, Newbies, don't ever let this make you give up on your quit. One thing at a time. The quit is first and foremost, the weight thing can come later.

Living free for 3M, 3D, 22H, 55M and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 9:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to not gain any weight from my quit and to post this on ALA to support those who are afraid to quit due to weight gain. So far, so good. Actually, given the personal/family crisis I've been going through on top of the quit, the exercise has really been one of God's greatest gifts. The added time alone has been really good for my mental health and my quit is stronger because of this.

I am cautious to not replace a smoking addiction with an exercise addiction ~ but right now I see it as a crutch as my "wounds heal".

I am so glad to be a part of this group. Thank you, all. Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Ben's Mom

Quit Date:
July 6, 2004

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 12:34 AM    Post subject: Atkins experience Reply with quote

This is an awesome forum already! Thank you Mindy and everyone for spearheading this I think we are all going to be able to help and support each other even more!

Atkins Warning! My tennis partner convinced me to give it a try. I almost had a meltdown yesterday (day2) when I could not figure out what to eat!

For those of us who are carb addicts and planning to try one of these low carb diets....don't do like I did...Go shopping before you start! I was in the store starving and reading labels and just about freaking out! Everything I love is filled with carbs! I must have looked like a nut turning and flipping every jar, box, bottle etc. and then walked out with a rack of ribs.

Carol, you have to be right about this not being good for the heart. I made it through today but my gut is telling me it is not the road to wellness for me.

Well on a better note I'm safely into Heck Week! Thanks everyone for your support all week. This is a great group of people we have here!

I've been quit for 9 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes and 49 seconds (9 days).
I've not smoked 204 death sticks, and saved $46.84.
I've saved 0 day(s), 17 hour(s) of my life.

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.
unknown author
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 10:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, Ben's Mom---You sound just like me! lol I did the same thing..went without a list. Well I think I'm going to give Weight Watchers along with working out and walking a try. If that doesn't work, I'll try South Beach,,
Ben's Mom

Quit Date:
July 6, 2004

PostPosted: July 16, 2004 5:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mindy, The Weight Watchers and walking combo does wonders for me. As I write this I'm wondering why I didn't stick to it.

I'm still hanging in here with the Atkins things are getting a bit easier. My choices still seem real limited, I'm existing on Caesar Salad and BBQ's chicken right now.

I'm thinking WW is a much more sane way to go. I think someone mentioned above that you can do it online now... Keep us posted

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.
unknown author
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: