quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angry!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mar

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 27, 2004 4:05 PM    Post subject: Angry! Reply with quote

I am so damn angry at what this addiction does to us. It ruins our health, takes our money and makes us suffer terribly when we finally get the strength and courage to quit smoking.

I have recently read Margaret's post that she is having a very difficult time. Along with others, I answered, as best I could, to try and help her. Why does she have to suffer so much? Why do any of us? I know the intellectual answer (we are addicted), but it still doesn't help when I hear another human being crying out for help.

I don't blame the tobacco companies, but I do blame our governments for ever getting into the business of making millions from cigarettes. I know they won't stop as the taxation profits are too great to give up. I don't have any answers, I just have a lot of questions.

This post may not solve anything, but at least I have vented about something that upsets me very much.

Thanks for listening.

Marlene
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 27, 2004 5:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mar,

I agree but I do also blame the tobacco companies. Not only have they touted their product (tobacco) but they're now adding chemicals to make the cigarettes even more addictive. That's very manipulative and creates addicts far more than just plain tobacco would.

Thanks for posting your rant. It helped me vent too.

---
3m 2w 2d 20:12 smoke-free, 3,016 cigs not smoked, $583.45 saved, 1w 3d 11:20 life saved

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Mar

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 27, 2004 8:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I vented, I feel a little better about the whole issue of addiction.

What I meant about not blaming the tobacco companies is that I do not feel we have the right to blame them for our nicotine addiction. We have to take full responsibility for that or else we get nowhere in our efforts to quit smoking. To me, it's like an alcoholic blaming the brewing companies, and the distillers, for their alcoholism, or a heroin addict blaming the processors/dealers for their addiction. We started smoking, for whatever reason, and we are the ones who have to quit for ourselves.

I just get upset when normally intelligent people are reduced to craving a stupid piece of paper wrapped around tobacco when we know about the dangers of smoking. It makes us temporarily insane. Our rational thinking goes out the window and we think we can handle "just one". Those of us who have tried "just one" know how foolish this thinking is.

It hurts to think of the many who have died from this disease (and it is a disease), or whose health is seriously impaired from smoking. I know, from reading the posts, that young people are suffering the effects of smoking very early and, even if not, are having a very difficult time when they quit.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we are intelligent people and should be able to go about not smoking using our common sense. It doesn't seem to work that way and that makes me angry. We have to be smarter than that little piece of paper - seems ridiculous, but that's how it is.

Marlene
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 27, 2004 9:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Marlene. It is hard to hear someone's pain and not be able to ease it. Many here share your anger.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: