quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I don't think about smoking alot.......but

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 30, 2004 8:19 PM    Post subject: I don't think about smoking alot.......but Reply with quote

It's funny how I can go days and even weeks without even thinking of smoking.....then BAM, a certain thing happens and I have the urge. Anyone else have this happen to them??? I think I have to shut a back door AGAIN and lock it and throw away that darn key for good.
bigdaddyscds

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: July 30, 2004 8:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Mindy. I posted once that no one told me that for every single activity, EVERY ONE, that we did as smokers we would have to learn and experience as non smokers. That is a pretty mind boggling idea when you really think about it. How can you close that many back doors? Especially when you don't even know they are there. Someone said once they were craving because it was summer and they had never experienced summer as a non smoker and that is when it really hit home. So every time you do something that you may not even be thinking about as a non smoker I think those little craves sneak up on you. But.... perseverance shall win the day because I can hold out longer than Scowling Demon can and he can kiss my hiney when we're through because HE is MY bitch now! I guess I over ranted your post. Sorry. I'll go back to timid and quiet now.
Thank you and God Bless,
John

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Thomas Fuller , M.D.
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 30, 2004 8:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting John!!! I want to know I'm not alone. The fact that it is summer really hit me hard around June or so........I used to sit outside on the porch with my glass of iced tea with my cigarettes. That was a huge trigger for me. I even used to get so pissed at my neighbors because I'd sit in my house and watch out my window at them sitting outside sipping a beverage and smoking. I was jealous (and still sometimes am). But like you said, we are stronger than the Laughing Demon ....We will persevere....
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 30, 2004 8:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that I don't even THINK about smoking as long as I am in a good mood or at least when I'm not upset about something (financial problems, mainly).

Boy, let me get my hemorrhoids in an uproar over something, though, and smoking is all I CAN think about!

Yeah, Optical-Rectalitis makes me want to smoke REAL bad!

Tom

I have been quit for 6 Months, 4 Weeks, 21 hours and 22 minutes (211 days). I have saved $794.58 by not smoking 6,356 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 1 hour and 40 minutes of my life.

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 30, 2004 11:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is very common in the early days of a quit, Mindy, but i'm guessing it should settle down for you pretty soon, and then they'll get fewer and farther between, until you barely even notice them (or reccognize them) any more:

for instance, i still occasionally get an urge (can't even really call them craves any more), but oddly enough, the last few times i didn't even realize what they were right away - one day a couple of months ago i was at work and i had the strangest feeling most of the morning - i couldn't quite pin it down or figure out where it was coming from - then i realized, "oh! it's a crave! whatta ya know?". as soon as i realized what it was, it went away (i guess because the thought of smoking is so totally foreign to me now; i'd no more entertain the thought of smoking than i would the idea of setting my hair afire)...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 4:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the further you get into your Quit the less they are cravings. It sounds like smoking memories. Question

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 12:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mindy,

I know exactly what you mean. I feel I'm doing pretty well with my quit; very few cravings these days. However, out of the blue, that darn "wanting" comes over me. There really isn't anything I can blame it on; no specific back door that I can identify.

From what others have written, it will continue to get better. I'm praying that's the case for all of us.

Have a great smoke-free weekend.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
merry

Quit Date:
August 15, 2003

PostPosted: August 1, 2004 7:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy, I too know the feeling. But think about those neighbors. They're smoking because they feel they "have to" feed the addiction. You are free now and although you still get cravings you can look beyond those cravings to the life you now have and the one you had as a smoker. What's your choice? I think we all know that answer! Keep going, you're doing great and I promise you it will get easier and easier as you "practice" being a non-smoker.

Mary
Q/D: August 15, 2003
16Ocean

Quit Date:
April 16, 2004

PostPosted: August 2, 2004 12:55 AM    Post subject: Yep, know the feeling Reply with quote

Hi Mindy, Cute picture of you!! I have to say, this month, who knows why, I have thought about smoking many times, and really felt like I REALLY wanted one. Which seems odd, since, I think my second month, did not think of smoking at all, least that is what I remember. It is bothersome, and dont even like the thought that I could even be entertaining the thought of ever smoking again, not with all the knowledge I now have, and how great it feels to not smoke, pain wise, breathing wise, coughing wise, smell wise, just it all. I wasnt joking when I said I now think about living, when I smoked I thought about dying (of course feeling so perfectly horrible). Sometimes I just plain out wonder, hmmm, maybe this is how it will go the rest of my life, there will be these times, just want to smoke!! God willing, and me making the right choice, I will not go down that path again,....... take care, and maybe it helps you a little t know, others DO still think about smoking some too. God be with you, hope you are having a good summer otherwises!!!!! Heidi
leigh

Quit Date:
April 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 5, 2004 9:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dont the exact same thing....
I can say the third month for me was a big battle...Felt like my first two weeks all over again...July 4th seeing everyone drinking liek myself, yet they had cig's in their hands..I started getting the missing feeling, until Ia thought came to me..Look how unattractive and stupid they look...
I beat it...
During the nights here, I started visualizing how I use to sit outside watching the stars while laying back smoking cig's...I thought how I missed being able to do that..The peace I got from it...THEN I realized I wasnt geting peace from the cig's. I could still get the exact same feeling minus the cig's...And I do but a much better feeling knowing I dont smoke anymore...
When My boyfriend comes in the house he stinks of cig's I wont let him touch our daughter because the stinch gets on her!!! He now smokes with a glove on because I constantly tell him his hands stink!! I cant believe I would walk around smelling like that....

Sorry for the ramble, but NO youre not alone!!
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: August 6, 2004 10:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy,

No you are not alone with this feeling of wanting to smoke in the worst way. I have like you been under alot of stress as of late. This is a big trigger for wanting a cigarette. Just don't let it get to you. I have been fighting it worse this month then when I first quit. I know and beleive also that this is the reason we want this cigarette as in times of stress before we smokes only this time the Laughing Demon is not getting his way we are fighting him with every fiber of our being and we are winning so he is trying tomake us crave harder and want more but we still fight and will continue to do so.

No mindy you are not alone.

Three months, three weeks, four days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 59 seconds. 4679 cigarettes not smoked, saving $807.16. Life saved: 2 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 55 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
PinkLungs

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: August 6, 2004 11:05 AM    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Wow Mindy, that's too bad for you. I never think about smoking... I guess I'm perfect and you're not?!?!?! Yeah right! Smile
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 9, 2004 9:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about smoking at one time or another every day. But it doesn't mean I have to smoke! I am stronger than the addiction.........I repeat that all the time in my head. Keeps me strong!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: