quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Read but bring a tissue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 14, 2004 7:30 PM    Post subject: Read but bring a tissue Reply with quote

I don't know if this is inspirational, but I wasn't sure where to post it.
Got this from a friend of mine tonight and I thought I would share it with you. Let's all stay smoke free so no child, grandchild, sibling etc. ever has to pray this prayer about us, because we died from something we could have prevented. God be with us all and all of our families.

Does Heaven have a phone number?

> > > > > > > Mommy went to Heaven, but I need her here today,
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > My tummy hurts and I fell down, I need her right away,
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I really need your help, operater, to find her in this book.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Is heaven in the yellow part? I don't know where to look.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I think my daddy needs her too, at night I hear him cry.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I hear him call her name sometimes, but I really don't know why.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Maybe if I call her, she will hurry home to me.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Is Heaven very far away? Is it across the sea?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > She's been gone a long, long time. She needs to come home now!
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I really need to reach her, but I simply don't know how.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Help me find the number please. Is it listed under Heaven?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I can't read these big big words. I am only seven.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I'm sorry operator. I didn't mean to make you cry.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Is your tummy hurting too, or is there something in your eye?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > If I call my church maybe they will know.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Mommy said when we need help that's where we should go.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I found the number to my church tacked up on the wall.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Thank you operator, I'll give them a call.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: April 14, 2004 7:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Yes pleas lets keep our quits so no one has to pray for us this way.

pikachu1lt(Leona)

Three days, 8 hours, 45 minutes and 11 seconds. 134 cigarettes not smoked, saving $23.22. Life saved: 11 hours, 10 minutes.

Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 14, 2004 10:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Mommies are special. I lost mine a year ago unexpected. She was to young to go and I miss her very much. I wish it was that easy to call her up. I've needed her many times in the last year. However I will see her again and what a joyous day that will be Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 10:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tissue warning - Wow. It breaks my heart to admit that my kids could have been praying a similar prayer the whole time I was a smoker. I wasn't dead, but I wasn't available to them either. When I realize how much time I spend with them now, just doing everyday stuff, compared to when I was smoking I want to cry. How could I have been such a terrible mother? It was a hassle to help them get ready for bed. It never failed that I had just lit a fresh cig when they would come and ask me to tuck them in - and I would make them wait! I never helped them with their homework or went on walks with them, or just played in the yard. They are 12 and 10 now, but hopefully it's not too late to start being a mother. I can already see a difference in their attitudes. Even if they didn't notice that I'm not smoking (how could they not notice?!) they are definitely happier kids and not as hesitant to approach me. I am getting lots more hugs these days and there is much more laughter in my house - and everyone here contributed to that transformation. Pat yourselves on the back for a job well done!
Rach

Quit Date:
February 7, 2004

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 11:16 AM    Post subject: Carol Reply with quote

Hearing my child speak those words in my mind is the very reason my quit gets stronger with each passing day!

Rach
Three Years and counting
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 20, 2004 10:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Rach

One of the things that hit home when I decided to quit was the thought of my kids suffering because I needed a cigarette. I realize I gave my money, my time, my soul for them...yet I couldn't give up my habit. My friend told me how bad he wishes his mom was around, she died of lung cancer...I realize then I never wanted my kids to say that....and I put them down.

Let's be there so we all keep the quit!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: April 21, 2004 5:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

TISSUE, hell, Carol I needed a roll of towels.
God Bless
Jim
Diamond Lady

Quit Date:
June 8, 2007

PostPosted: May 3, 2004 11:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Carol! That hit home! That is actually one of the biggest reasons that I quit! You know , when my uncle died of lung cancer 2 years ago, my aunt said to me, "Dana, please don't put your husband and your children through this." Her statements had a big impact on me and they continued to ring in my ears for the last two years. The thought of my family having to suffer because I was too much of a wimp to quit was completely selfish! Now, I will never have to worry about that! Thank you for your post! It really touched me!

Diamond Lady-Dana

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 1:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this - and I was just saying to the other Dana that I always said I would quit when I got pregnant because I will have to try to get pregnant so I could wait until then since that would be so far from now, far enough that it didnt ever seem possible and I would be able to stop before I had kids but still 'enjoy' smoking now....

Then I met the love of my life. And I started to picture us married with the children Ive always wanted. And although Im still young, 22, and wont be having children for several (at least 5) years still - that was HUGE for me.

I started remembering what it was like for me when I was young and I wanted to be close to my father but the smoke hurt my eyes, or he had to get up and go get cigarettes, or when Mom would ask me to go check every nite that he put his cigarette out before he went to sleep - and the one time I stepped on it lit on the floor and burnt my little toe. How I used to beg and pleed for him to quit but he always said he couldnt and I used to think that was because he didnt love me enough.

Then I started smoking around 16 or 17 (worst mistake of my life -but my father did it, so how bad could it be right?) and after I got 'hooked' and made my first attempt to quit I started to sympathize with him. It was impossible to quit. Nonsmokers just dont understand. And in a way, with that I felt I got the closeness I always wanted - we had something in common.

Now, I go back to my dreams of children - I dont want to make them feel any of those things I felt. Thank God my father is still here today and hasnt died from his habit. But I realized that my father is one of the lucky ones and if I didnt stop NOW while I am young and my body is more resiliant it was a REAL POSSIBILITY that I would die and never get to have those children or worse, like the poem, leave them and my husband alone to take care of themselves.

And THAT is what keeps me going, every minute of everyday. Even if its hard for me to love myself, I know I need to be around to love my future husband and my future children and as they say 'there is no time like the present'. When I have a craving, I close my eyes, and I picture me and Adam and our 2 kids playing at the beach. And to my surprise, there is no cigarette in my hand - something that even a couple months ago I could never imagine or even picture in my mind.

I printed this one out and am pasting it in my 'quit diary'. Thanx for the inspiration! (Although, I must say I needed a few tissues as well)

Dana B.
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 2:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana
Thank you so much for sharing such an intimate part of your life. you have a very special motivator there. Keep it close to you. There are so many more beautiful ways to connect with your children, then to be co-smokers. Although I am glad that you still have your Dad and are finding that out for yourself.
Keep that quit...for you and your future family

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Diamond Lady

Quit Date:
June 8, 2007

PostPosted: May 27, 2004 5:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana,

That was a touching story! Thanks for sharing! I just wanted to let you know that those children that you will have are sooooo very worth the quit!! I look at my children every day now and I almost cry thinking just how special they are and about the fact the I WILL be around to share all of their special moments and that they will never remember that I smoked, and that I have lessened the chance that they will ever pick up a cigarette! It is so very worth what you have to go through!!!!! Keep the quit going!!!

Diamond Lady-Dana
Vanessa

Quit Date:
March 7, 2004

PostPosted: May 28, 2004 10:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This too was my main motivation to quit! It makes me sick to visualize my son needing his mother and I wasn't there because I died too young!

It also made me realize that I feel that same way about my own mother. I get this child like selfishness about me when I think that my mother will probably die from her addiction but I wasn't important enough to her to quit. I know logically that's not true as I smoked and have a child but I couldn't sit back and wonder if my son might feel the same at 31 years old....watching me smoke.

We all say we would DIE for our kids....now let's LIVE for them!

Vanessa

---
2m 3w 1d 1:55 smoke-free, 1,662 cigs not smoked, $210.24 saved, 5d 18:30 life saved

Don't accept your current situation as a permanent station in life. You have the power to change. Strive for more.
Diamond Lady

Quit Date:
June 8, 2007

PostPosted: May 28, 2004 2:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN!!!!

I second that last statement!!!!!

Diamond Lady-Dana
skiermom

Quit Date:
July 25, 2003

PostPosted: May 28, 2004 10:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks.................

Today is a gift........enjoy it!

Eileen
july26judi

Quit Date:
July 26, 2003

PostPosted: June 1, 2004 1:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the poem...I'm still drying my eyes Sad ...and thanks for sharing all the stories...even though I am 10+ months...it helps so much to be "reminded" in a very real way, why I quit.

My girls are grown and I feel so guilty for not being strong enough to quit when they were young Sad ...but now I have two beautiful grandchildren and I want to be there when they have kids Very Happy !

Thanks again!

So happy to be quit and REALLY want to stay that way!!!

judi
quit date 7/26/03
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: