quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I Can't Believe I'm Going to Say This

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 4:53 PM    Post subject: I Can't Believe I'm Going to Say This Reply with quote

I hate exercise. I could never understand those "I love to exercise" people. To me they were aliens from another planet. I couldn't comprehend what they were saying. When I started losing weight, I started with walking very small distances and doing the "Walk Away the Pounds" tapes. I was in pain walking just a block; I could only do about 10 minutes of the tapes. My knees and ankles hurt so much. (Keep in mind that I have about 100 pounds to lose.) But it works. After a while I could walk a little bit farther and it didn't hurt so much. Every week it got better. I'd lost 50 pounds by the end of last year. Then I stopped smoking and my metabolism came to a screeching halt. It's taken me seven months this year to lose an additional 12 pounds, which is discouraging, but it's ok. It takes as long as it takes. I walk on my treadmill now--30/45 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. I leave home early enough now to walk to work on good weather days -- that's another 30 minutes. When I stopped smoking I started using my "smoke breaks" to walk up and down one flight of stairs, and now I do three flights. My weekly Sunday treat is a brownie and a coffee with half and half and real sugar and I walk there to get it - a mile each way. No, this is not an advertisement for walking. What brought this on was today at lunch I walked in the park for a bit and I saw a lady walking who was where I was a year ago. I wanted to tell her to keep it up, that exercising really does work and it gets easier and she'll see results. I guess I was just feeling kind of proud of me today when I realized how far I've come: I've lost 62 pounds and I haven't had a cigarette for 7 months. And no, I still don't like to exercise, but my body's gotten used to it and it makes me get off the couch. One day I'll get up enough nerve to post before and after pictures. Thanks for reading what turned into a very long winded message.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 5:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Wow, Carla. It's just another example of how this quitting smoking thing is not just good in and of itself, but snowballs into other areas of improvement in our lives. I swelled with pride just reading about your achievements!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 5:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Carla, thank you so much for posting this. It is so inspiring. I too hate exercise, but I know I need it.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 8:09 PM    Post subject: Re: I Can't Believe I'm Going to Say This Reply with quote

Carla wrote:
I've lost 62 pounds and I haven't had a cigarette for 7 months.

Your message should be on billboards across the country! I am so proud to be in the same "group" as you! Please do something extra special for yourself and know I really appreciate your encouragement! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 8:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Carla,

WOW! You're to be commended on both your quit and the weight loss. I'm still working on both and you've really inspired me. Keep it going.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 8:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla,
I am so proud of you!!! You certainly are an inspiration to me..........Keep up the walking...I also use the Walk Away the Pounds series and love them!!!
Nicotine Free--Six months, three weeks, two days, 19 hours, 32 minutes and 50 seconds. 8232 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,440.41. Life saved: 4 weeks, 14 hours, 0 minutes.
PinkLungs

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: August 4, 2004 11:49 PM    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Okay, I feel like a slug... maybe I will try that. I need to do something! Thanks for the motivation.

PinkLungs
16+ days smoke-free
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 5, 2004 1:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you, Carla!

your story is an inspiration, and another reminder of the power of repeated conscious choice.

keep it going!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 5, 2004 7:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla,

You definately deserve a pat on the back. that is a great accomplishment. i just started my diet about 10 days ago, i will use you for inspiration!

Thanks for the post.

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 5, 2004 8:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

Walk Away the Pounds are videotapes and cds for the tv. However, check out www.collagevideo.com. Look under walking/running music. There's a big variety of music to pick from - different types of music and different paces.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: August 5, 2004 11:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Carla,

You inspire me!!! I have been quit 17 days and started weight watchers that first week, but the thing I can't seem to get motivated to do is exercise. You have inspired me today! I will look up to you and try to emulate you!

Thanks, and keep up your awesome ness.

Julie - day 18

"Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering" (Heb. 10:32)
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: August 7, 2004 5:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carla! I'm lazy when it comes to exercise. I HATE IT!\
But your post was so inspirational. I am very proud of you.
Keep up the good work!

God Bless YOu! Very Happy

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
chooverg

Quit Date:
June 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 7, 2004 10:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been exercising almost every day since January. Then, when I quit smoking, I quit excerising.
I know that it is a factor to my bad mood swings.
I am going to start exercising again on Monday. I can tell you all that when I was working out I felt alot better and alot less depressed and tired.
Good Luck All
Christina

I have seen flowers grow in stoney places
Kindness done by men with ugly faces
The worst horse won at the races
So, I trust too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: