quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tip Toe Thru The Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: August 8, 2004 3:17 AM    Post subject: Tip Toe Thru The Park Reply with quote

When I was home in San Diego I was given a very lengthy copy of a thread I started on FFS last January, just before the change on the boards came about, thank you Alsion for this copy. Lets start one here. Another walk, a walk for our freedom from smoking. This time blast out, tell all about your quit. I have been quit for 8 and 1/2 months plus, the hardest, and the best thing, I have ever done for myself. I will walk holding one and all hands in the walk for freedom any where. Please, post your vision of the perfect walk, the walk of your quit, the quit that is your walk. Please, blast out.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.
Ben's Mom

Quit Date:
July 6, 2004

PostPosted: August 8, 2004 5:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jim, that's a tall order, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I step out the door cautiously. I’ve prepared for the cold. Layers of clothing hang from my shoulders and my waist. My head is wrapped in a long scarf that winds around my neck. My hands hang to my side heavy with the weight of my gloves. I turn close the door and step off the porch.

My feet are slow and awkward bearing the bulk of my mountain boots. As I head down the driveway it occurs to me that it might be easier to stay at home. This whole walk thing seems like too much work today. What if I get out there and can’t get back? Nevertheless I keep walking. Half a mile down the road I’m beginning to feel some strength return to my legs. I notice that the balls of my feet are pushing me off the pavement, which helps propel me along.

It’s getting warm. No need for my scarf I can feel the heat rising to my neck and my head. In a moment it is gone flying on the wind that is in my wake. For a minute that is good enough then I notice the orange tree. I can’t move my arms...wait yes I can, off goes the jacket. The orange is mine. Have you ever tried peeling an orange with your gloves on? Impossible. The gloves are history. I keep walking. Slowly, I’m peeling away skin of the orange; the juice is dripping down my arms. Too late, the sweater will have to go. I’m still walking, but my concentration is on consuming the orange. I have no sense of how far I have walked by the time my head rises to take in my surroundings.

It is somewhere I have never been before. Oddly, I am not frightened. There is a path which heads off to my left to a creek I can hear from the road. It is narrow and heads straight down the hill. I decide to follow it. I am freed of the cumbersome clothing and suddenly realize it is spring. My feet move with elf like lightness. My ears here the sounds of all who live here. Birds’ chirp and squawk at predators who dare to come close to their nest. The woodpeckers clatter away building skyline burrows for their hidden treasures. The creek gurgles and splashes over the rocks. A deer and her fawn briefly glance up at me interrupting their breakfast, but quickly realize I am no threat.

The rock is large and hangs over the water. I step onto it and slowly sit down Indian style. My breathing is quiet and easy. My eyes take in all that is around me and finally rest on a house tucked into the trees. It welcomes me back to the place that I have ignored for years. Home sweet home.

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.
unknown author
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 8, 2004 6:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am inspired! Very Happy

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 8, 2004 7:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, Laurie - it was a great walk! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: August 10, 2004 8:09 PM    Post subject: My walk Reply with quote

Finally time to take that walk.

I still feel groggy from the last week of work, it's late afternoon as I slept the day away, tired from a long night at work.

I step off the porch wondering if I still have the energy to take a walk. I see Jim, Ben's mom, ms_tapestry, and Kevin in the distance. I'm motivated. If they can do this I can follow.

The mile walk across the field hasn't robbed me of my breath...the startled deer hiding in the grass took my breath away.

I carefully climb over the barbed wire and start the desent down to the bluffs. I take the ole logging road part of the way down holding on to trees that must be over 30 feet tall. The woods I have now entered has only allowed streaks of sun to filter through.

The rest of the way is slow moving from tree to tree moving downward while stepping over the endless supply of rocks.

There I see my place, my secret world. A rock jets out from the Bluff and beyound it miles of mountains in the distance. I am now looking at the tops of trees with history that cries of the Jessie James day's. I see cave openings along the bluffs when I gaze down. I am over looking Out Law Holler.

I sit on the rock and think...just think. It's been a long road...a long way back. I'm doing this.

Now I can say what I have recalled hearing so many times on FFS site.

I love the view from here.

(Thank you so much for sharing your walks with me, I needed this tonight. I feel much better.)

Sandyz
Nine months, two weeks, four days, 3 hours, 3 minutes and 8 seconds. 13145 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,794.39. Life saved: 6 weeks, 3 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 10, 2004 8:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful post Sandyz. The writing talent on this site amazes me. Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: August 10, 2004 9:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My walk is sorta along memory lane. I am walking on My aunt's farm. I see the clover in blossom and almost ready to cut into hay again. This will be the second cutting. My new found sense of smell smells a sweet scent one that you have to smell to understand. It is better than candy it is fresh country air. I continue on down to the barn and there are some new kttens one is in a box with a towel in it. It is a cute little long haired white kitten. He /she is curious and looks at us with wondering eyes. So we stop and pet it. It preens like a little peacock with all the attention and mews lightly when we start to walk on. We continue a little way into the barn and there is a calf about 4 months old and a little skittish. But we stop and pet the little guy and he gets into the petting looking at us with those big brown eyes. We know we must move on but it is so hard to leave such a warm and loving little creature behind. But oh look there is another 2 calves one must be about a month old and not quite weaned because as we start to stroke its course coat it reaches for our fingers thinking it is a teat. Sorry little guy not momma can't help you there. We go to the next little guy and he shys away. He must of just been seperated from his mom so he doesn't want to be touched. And we notice there are more cows in the other room. But we must go as it is starting to get late out. So we go back out of the barn and its wonderful rich smells from the sun warmed hay to the kttens who love to play in amongst the hay and head back through the field of clover back to the house. There we look out over the fields and see gods work at hand. The sunset is awesome with reds, purples and yellows. It looks as if god painte us a picture with that sun setting over fields of clover with its purple and white flowers in a field of green. It is starting to get buggy and the sun has gone down now so it is nippy to so here our walk ends until the next person takes it up and continues on. So we go in to have hot chocolate and hot dogs or for those who don't like hot dogs there is also hamburgers. Bon appetite my friends.

Three months, four weeks, two days, 10 hours, 47 minutes and 27 seconds. 4857 cigarettes not smoked, saving $838.00. Life saved: 2 weeks, 2 days, 20 hours, 45 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 7:32 AM    Post subject: Lets keep walking... Reply with quote

Hey Leona, I would love to stop in for some hot chocolate and hot dogs. Yum.

Your walk sounds like our Pa farm days. The wonderful smell of the barn so full of fresh cut hay intertwined with the sweet feed for our horses. I love barns. Thanks for the memories...

Do you mind if I go pet the kittens?

Sandyz
Nine months, two weeks, four days, 14 hours, 31 minutes and 7 seconds. 13167 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,797.33. Life saved: 6 weeks, 3 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 10:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all Sandyz but watch out for that old tommy he doesn't seem to impressed with people. I love barns too. and pastures where the animals play. It is all to cool.

Three months, four weeks, two days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 12 seconds. 4879 cigarettes not smoked, saving $841.71. Life saved: 2 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours, 35 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: