quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just quit and looking for support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titfortatt

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 8:24 PM    Post subject: Just quit and looking for support Reply with quote

Hello all! My name is Heidi, I'm 26 and (as of about 10 minutes ago) just quit smoking after 8 years. I realized I had a problem when I woke up one morning (recently) and my chest felt tight. I can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. This is ridiculous! I went to my doctor to discuss my options for quitting (and to find out what she's seen the most success with.) My program is at least three months of bupropion and the nicotrol inhaler to help with the behaviorial modifications as needed. I'm hoping that I can be strong enough not to use them (but as I said previously, my doc says she's seen the best success with both.) Most of my family and friends live out of state so I won't have a day-to-day support group. I'm hoping that's where you guys can help me. I'm really scared to face this demon. Addiction runs in my family so I'm scared I can't do it. I quit once for three months but used a family visit as an excuse to start again (which is a decision I've come to regret.) I've resolved myself to quitting so that I can be there for my friends and loved ones (as well as myself) for years to come. Sorry this introduction has become so long but I have a lot to get off my chest! I look forward to giving (as well as recieving) all the support I can to those who want it.

~Heidi

It's gotta be the shoes 'cause it sure ain't the shirt!
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 8:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi

Congrats on your quit. We all are here at different stages. A lot of us came over from the FFS support from the American Lung Association, Kevin has a link on his home page. Go check it out and do the modules the plan is set up with some great support, let me just warn you they are doing some remodeling on their message boards and it is a source of frustration for a lot of people. Kevin has been very open to us all moving in over here. Also go check out whyquit.com there is a lot of great information as well. Read up on Kevins tales as they are a real source of inspiration to all of us. Good luck to you.

One month, two weeks, five days, 7 hours, 41 minutes and 44 seconds. 724 cigarettes not smoked, saving $181.20. Life saved: 2 days, 12 hours, 20 minutes.

Lisa
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 9:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi
Welcome. This site can and will be your daily suport that is needed to quit. There alot of great people in different phases of quitting that you can draw your support from. Good information all over the internet, whyquit.com, nicotine.com even going to google and typing in anti smoking will lead you volumes of support materail to help educate yourself on the ways to get and keep your quit. Again welcome. You can doit.
Jim
4 months, three weeks +
cherkohn

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 9:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

This is a great place for support. We have all been where you are now. Please do the modules on ffs. And read at whyquit.com. For me, all that education and preparation made a world of difference.

Cheryl - Free and Healing for One Month, One Day, 12 Hours and 15 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 9 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1260 cigarettes that would have cost me $220.86.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 9:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi, Welcome and you will find the support that you need here. Lisa gave you some real good advice. You can do this. Smile
Look forward to seeing you on the boards Smile

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 9:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi,

Welcome

I am one of the refugees from FFS and I would not of been able to quit if it had not been for them and these guys. They have been a wonderful sorce of support.

Go and Check out http://www.whyquit.com read the tales of the quit here. Kevin has been really great about us all moving in on him here.

Do the mods at FFS and come on back here and post your assignmnets

KEEP THE QUIT

pikachu1lt(Leona)

Four days, 10 hours, 16 minutes and 59 seconds. 177 cigarettes not smoked, saving $30.55. Life saved: 14 hours, 45 minutes.

Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 15, 2004 11:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi
I concur with what has already been written. I had smoked for 40 years and had tried many different methods of quitting. I thought I knew everything there was to know about quitting and that all I needed was will power. Well old smartie pants here was in for a surprise. I worked the modules in the Freedom From Smoking program by American Lung Association. I did every lesson in every module. Even the ones I thought were stupid. I learned so much about my addiction and how to prepare for quitting and how to keep that quit. And you know what Heidi I have 1 month of smoke free life. Now I know that might not sound like much , but for a person who had just about given up trying to quit, cause I thought I just plain could not do it......well 1 month is just about a miracle. My point in all this...Nicotine Replacement is good and for some people it takes off the edge of the cravings and is just what they need. But I really do want to stress the importance of education and support to go along with it. That is what I believe made the difference for me this time.
And yes please use us for you support family. We welcome you to join us on our road to a smoke free life.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
july26judi

Quit Date:
July 26, 2003

PostPosted: April 16, 2004 12:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Heidi,

Everyone has given you such great advice, there is not much I can add, except to tell you, that you can do this and we will help you!!!
I smoked for 40 years and tried to quit probably 40 times or more.
I am happy to say that I am almost at 9 months. I thought that I would be a smoker until I died, because I just couldn't quit...I was wrong!!!
Thanks to FFS and all the wonderful support I received from fellow quitters I now know that I can quit and you can too.

So happy to be quit and REALLY want to stay that way!!!

judi
quit date 7/26/03
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 16, 2004 9:02 AM    Post subject: Howdy Heidi!!! Reply with quote

Glad to see you here. I hope you get what you need, and hope you stick to your quit. It's a wonderful thing to be quit. I wish you all the success in the world. It is truly a liberating experience, though frustrating at times. YOu can do it, and we're all here to help!! Be well!!

Juanita
Two months, 11 hours, 3 minutes and 32 seconds. 1330 cigarettes not smoked, saving $299.07. Life saved: 4 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes.

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Rach

Quit Date:
February 7, 2004

PostPosted: April 16, 2004 9:16 AM    Post subject: Hello Heidi Reply with quote

Hi Heidi:

I'm glad you found us. You've gotten a lot of good advice here already. I would just like to add that this place will be of tremendous help to you because we're all going through different stages of the same thing. You will find lots of good advice here. You sound very resolved to get quit. That's a terrific start. Look forward to chatting with you some more!

Rach
Three Years and counting
Zoey

Quit Date:
November 14, 2006

PostPosted: April 16, 2004 1:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Heidi, congrats on quitting. It really is a beautiful thing, but you have to be patient with yourself. You have to be patient with your body as it's healing and patient with your mind to slowly relearn how to deal with life.

You can do it though! And I think that it's great that you're quitting now, not later. For me, it didn't really sink in until I hit the big 30. Twenty-something seems so invincible. But those wrinkles from smoking, the heavy chest, the tired lungs, and the yellowed skin come suddenly.

Anyway, we're here if you need support. Just a few things as reminders:
*Be patient with yourself.
*Drink lots of water.
*Eat healthily and exercise to get that crap out of your system and to be re-energized and de-stressed.
*Snack on non-fat yogurt and your favorite fruits.
*Take walks.
*Smile.
*Breathe deep and try meditation or yoga.
*Drink lots of water.

There are so many things that quitting does that feel weird. Add the bupropian (sp?) and things get weirder. I used Zyban (same thing) when I quit at first. It really helped a lot. Just be patient. You can quit!
titfortatt

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: April 16, 2004 7:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much! It hasn't quite been 24 hours yet but it's close. I never realized how much I smoked until I stopped. I thought about cigarettes about every two seconds! I dealt with it ok until I left work. Boy did I really want to smoke!! But I didn't and I feel good about that. Then I decided to log back into this website and see what others had to say. You made me smile and feel like I can do this. And you know what? My urge to smoke when right away. Thanks again!

~ Heidi

PS I'm going to float away! I've been drinking water like it's going out of style!

It's gotta be the shoes 'cause it sure ain't the shirt!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: