quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why are some days worse than others?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 7:14 AM    Post subject: Why are some days worse than others? Reply with quote

I was really pleased - hell week went by pretty (!?!?) painlessly. I mean, I had a few moods, a few tears and a bit of stress, but not nearly as bad as I expected. (my boyfriend only got 3 black eyes and a caouliflower ear.....JOKE!!)
Then on my week-long anniversary of giving up I had a nightmare evening. The cravings were flying in thick and fast.
Other than the cravings, it wasn't a particularly stressful evening - just a normal night in, watching TV. But those sneaky cigarettes kept popping into my head and putting me on edge...how come!?!?

I'm hoping the worst bits should have passed... Crying or Very sad
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 8:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope, you didn't smoke for just a week. And, it will take a lot longer than a week for you to get over the cravings. Even though the nicotine is out of your body, you are still ridding yourself of some of the chemicals in cigarettes that helped cause your addiction. It will take time for your brain to "rewire" and not look for a cigarette to calm or stimulate you.

Be patient.....it will get better in time! Keep it up.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 8:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know...i'm just hoping it'll get better and better.......how long until all the chemicals are out of me and it's justa mental thing?

I know to expect it to be tough, but if each day was a bit less tough then that'd help. When it goes bad, having been ok, you feel you're going backwards almost - like it'll get worse and worse.

I wont smoke though, thats not an option....was just being a bit too hopeful I guess! Rolling Eyes
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 9:16 AM    Post subject: Don't give up Reply with quote

Hope...don't get discouraged. This is a process you go through. You have been smoking for years now you are learning not to smoke. Many times when you face a new situation as a stop smoker you might be hit with a crave.

To help better understand the process read Kevins the Tales. He tells of his journey and by reading his tales of the quit it might help you understand where you are heading.

Hang on you are doing awesome. Like Pam says, it gets better every day.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 9:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isn't a linear process, Hope; just because it seems easy today, that doesn't mean it'll be easy tomorrow (and vice versa). it's more like a hike in the mountains; sometimes you're going downhill and it's pretty effortless, sometimes you're going up a steep grade and you really have to work at it. if you keep going, you'll eventually reach the foothills - where the uphill and downhill parts aren't as steep - and then finally you'll be out of the mountains altogether. it just takes a while to get there.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 9:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope,
You will have your ups and downs and your emotions will be all over the board. You will learn to accept and cope with this. Nobody said this was going to be easy....it gets easier though as time passes. Please post here on the boards as often as you feel you need to for encouragement and support. We're all here for you. You can do this......One day at a time
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 9:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Hope,

Each day will be different but if you're ready for it, you can handle it. Old Laughing Demon is going to sneak up on you at the strangest times but please post a message here instead of smoking.

Hope your boyfriend recovered from his (ha-ha) injuries.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
LadyHouck

Quit Date:
January 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 10:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your quit is as individual as you are, so anything I say is just generally speaking or about my quit. I had some really great days. Days that were relatively easy and I was able to deal with the craves quickly and move on. Then I had days were everything seemed to be a trigger. I would dwell on having "just one". I came to believe in the early part of my quit that I had multiple personalities. One good and one bad. I debated and reasoned and even made deals. But in the end I had to stand up and say to myself, "Look, you quit, you don't smoke anymore and you do not have the option of smoking now, so move on." This did go on for me maybe a couple of times a month for the first 2-3 months and then just quit. I haven't had a crave in months now, but that is just me. I have seen some that are still fighting. I think a lot of mine is my attitude about smoking. I made smoking completely off limits to myself and made it a bad thing. No sitting around remembering a good smoke...they were all bad and they all made me stink. Once I accepted I wasn't going to be able to smoke, the crave usually eased a bit and usually went away all together.

Everyone has good days and bad days, whether they smoke or not. It isn't always easy to keep your quit, but it will always be worth it.

Big hugs!
Tonya
7M+

Tonya
3+ years!

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Erma Bombeck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: