quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why we should ban smoking in pubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 7:20 AM    Post subject: Why we should ban smoking in pubs Reply with quote

A friend of mine died of cancer earlier in the year.

It was the lung cancer that finally took him. He was in his early 30s, lead a healthy life and didn't smoke. He had gone to pubs and clubs for years though...lets all stop polluting the world with smoke - we harm not only ourselves but others.
That might not have been what caused his big C...but it might have been...

In honour of others like J, lets stop smoking - how can we "ask" for what he went through to happen to us?
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 9:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry to hear about J - so young...

here in new york state, they banned smoking in pubs recently, and i finally started going back to some of my favorites (i couldn't spend much time in them, and couldn't eat there at all, while they still allowed smoking). a lot of states have already done the same, and more are getting ready to do it. i think it's a great idea; i always felt sorry for non-smokers who worked in such places (of course, that never stopped me from smoking up a storm while i was drinking...).

i read recently where a smoking ban in pubs in ireland is being debated (with much opposition from the pub owners, as it was here in new york, and no doubt everywhere that this is happening). who knows? maybe france will get the idea, too.

we can always hope.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 11:40 AM    Post subject: Sorry for your loss. Reply with quote

I was shocked to hear about your friend J, lost at such a young age.

Glad in this sense to be living in California where there is no smoking in any buildings. No smoking in the work place or bars. There is even some talk about banning smoking on public beaches and parks. I now think that's great.
It is pretty disgusting now to go some place where there is a smoking room - the walls and carpet etc. just reek even when no one is in there.

K
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: August 11, 2004 8:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massachusetts just went smoke free in july and i beleive they already made the pubs in ireland non smoking. i hang out in an irish pub and often meet people who are here working or visiting from ireland. i think it's much better. no more hair smelling like smoke, clothes smelling, and it gives me more motivation to quit now before it gets cold out! although it's been a few years since i smoked in my house and the New England winters haven't stopped me yet. but it will be nice not to have to worry about that this year
anyway i'm rambling. just wanted to say that i do agree that the smoking ban in bars and restaraunts is a good thing. it's unfair to subject everybody to the health risks and smell of cigarette smoking. i don't think it will be long before more and more states start doing it.

Jen
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 1:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear about your friend Sad .

I remember when NY had the smoking ban while i was still a smoker, i was pretty bummed out, but I totally understand it now. I had been in California earlier noticed they banned smoking in public places too. Just today my boyfriend mentioned that he can see why a lot of people don't like when people smoke outisde of buildings at work, because walking by you get a face full of smoke! Since my quit i really hate being around smokers. Its not fair to 2nd hand smoke but i am contradicting myself because i used to smoke. Today i was driving and my father was smoking a ciggarette, it was the first time since my quit that i was in an enclosed space with a smoker, and i hated every minute of it. I was thinking to myself...I don;t smoke for a reason and now i forced to 2nd hand!! I think more states and countries will pick up on this and try to stop smoking in public places, till then we are all doing a great job in not contributing to the smoke in the air Smile .

*Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
PinkLungs

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 1:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 2:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend.
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 3:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just the pubs in Dublin in Ireland isn't it? Everyone thought it was going to be a disaster but it's not been. I get married next year...maybe i'll go there for a weekend with my girl friends before I get married!! ..... (That wouldn't have been an option last month!!). That'd feel like a major achievement for me Laughing ....though i'm not sure a few of my friends would be keen Mad .

I did go to a smoke free night club a while ago in Norway - they banned smoking in pubs too. That was quite strange actually - clean air in a club! Whata novelty! It was very nice (even though I was a smoker at the time), and my friend had a lot less trouble with her contact lenses than normal!! Laughing I must say though - the teeny weeny smoking area they had outside at the back was jam-packed full of people though!!

I live in France at the moment (though i'm from the UK). I'm close to the swiss border and I can safely say that I don't think i've ever seen a no-smoking pub in France or Switzerland. In fact, it's rare to get an area in a restaurant that is smoke-free. Laughing Demon I expect it'll be a long long time before anything changes here!! At this time of year it's not so bad as we can sit outside, but in the winter it's horible. Sad (Even when I was a smoker!!)
My Boyfriend who has never smoked used to come out of our local at the end of the night with his eyes stinging a bit - just think how much harm our smoke must have been doing to his insides then!!

There was a time I thought not smoking in a pub wasn't an opion. Now I think it's the only way forward. Perhaps they can have airconditioned small rooms, where smokes can have a quickie - I don't want to make things awkward for people if they choose to smoke, I belive in freedom of choice. They can smoke, but where it can't hurt anyone else. ....

I think that's a great idea.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 11:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As weird as this may sound, maybe they should have non-smoking bars and smoking bars. I was in a bar last night and while it was very hard for me, I wouldn't have wanted to tell those people in the bar that they couldn't smoke. Maybe they'll make that choice someday but it's not for me to say. Unless tobacco becomes illegal, I do thnk that smokers should be able to smoke somewhere, provided that they don't hurt the non-smokers. Just my thoughts.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 1:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do understand what your saying but I'm not so sure that we can encourage a smoker to quit. I smoked for 27 years knowing that it was bad for me and all the "Great American Smoke Outs" in November did nothing for me. The "Illinois Clean Air Act" did nothing for me. I stopped when I was ready and reformed smokers with their good intentions only made me want to smoke more. Let's face it, smokers can be very selfish people but not because they want to be, but because their feeding an addiction. And as with any other addiction, they'll quit when they are ready. But I'm just not ready to ban human beings to the back alleys. If there was a "smoking" only bar, non-smokers could just steer clear.
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 13, 2004 3:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly a tricky one. I suppose you're right - there should be smoking and non-smoking bars. People can then choose then. Freedom of choice and all that.
I'm not going to suddenly start banning smokers to alley ways either - you're right, it deosn't seem right. I have friends who smoke and while I do wish they'd join me on this marathon, I wouldn't want to discourage them from having a good night out with me and i'm not about to start nagging them now i've moved over to the "other side" and become a non-smoker - or rather a convertee.

But I do think that the more no smoking bars there are, the sooner it'll be socially seen as unacceptable to smoke in public which must be the overall, eventual aim. Opinions change gradually over time. If the younger pub-goers grow up knowing it's not nice to smoke in public then views will gradually change. Opinions certainly wont be agreed wihtin the next decade or so.

Lets appreciate summer while we can all sit outside!!

Rolling Eyes
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 13, 2004 5:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. So very young.

This is a great discussion and I find myself agreeing with both sides of the issue. I was in a restaurant recently with my family and could smell immediately the reek of stale smoke. Margaret is right, the smoke doesn't know it isn't supposed to go into the non-smoking section. I also don't want to be on my soap box preaching at my friends and co-workers now that I am a Quitter. I think I will make my statement with my money and chose to spend time in non-smoking establisments.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 13, 2004 12:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great response Hope. And I think you're right about young people. If smoking becomes a social taboo, then more and more kids may not do it. It's like banning smoking in a very passive aggressive way and just might work. When I was a teenager, even tho we knew that smoking was bad, it was not unacceptable. You could smoke anywhere. Hopefully the kids of today will get the message. As far as the perfume thing goes (sorry Barb and Margaret Embarassed ) I don't like the idea of banning that. I don't want society telling me how I can smell. Anyway, the bottom line is what this thread was originally all about - the loss of a young life. And I am still so very sorry about that. Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: