quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Palpitations?!...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 6:47 AM    Post subject: Palpitations?!... Reply with quote

god, i'm coming across as right moaning-minnie on this site!! Rolling Eyes

Anyone ever feel like their heart skips a beat?

mine has done a few times lately - I was sitting watching tv last night and then all ofa sudden it felt like there was a little twitch in my chest / heart area.....it feels quite odd, doesn't hurt, just twichy....like when you geta twitch in your eye or somewheer and feel like you're obsessively winking at someone!?
I do tend to be a bit of a hypercondriac...but something definately twitched in there!!!
Surprised
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 11:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Hope,

I'm sure we're all getting weird feelings. However, if the heart thing continues, it wouldn't hurt to consult a physician. It's probably nothing, but your heart sure isn't anything to fool with.

Take care of you. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 11:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my first week quit, prior to this quit Laughing . I got those palpitations every once in awhile. It feels really scary, i used to get them when i was a smoker too, but i was too busy ignoring my body, i didn't even care. I have heard from dr's that they are normal and every once in awhile you may feel a palpitation. But this is what my dr. has said. If they continue and they still bother you ask your doctor about it, so you will feel better about it. As for me, I have felt them before, and have been told its nothing to worry about!

some info for you from the good old web,

aside from the serious causes, they are normal and we do feel them sometimes!

Heart palpitations can be caused by:

Exercise
Anxiety, stress, fear
Fever
Caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, diet pills
Overactive thyroid
Anemia
Hyperventilation
Low levels of oxygen in your blood
Medications such as thyroid pills, asthma drugs, beta blockers for high blood pressure or heart disease, or anti-arrhythmics (medications to treat an irregular heart rhythm can sometimes cause a different irregular rhythm)
Mitral valve prolapse -- the valve that separates the left upper chamber (atrium) from the left lower chamber (ventricle) of the heart does not close properly
Heart disease

Follow Your Bliss
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 3:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had this happen to me before. I have a heart murmur and I asked the doctor if that could be what was happening and he said no. I just have to take medication when I go to the dentist. My heart twitched before I quit smoking. I got an EKG done and all was normal. Hope, if it concerns you I would call your doctor and monitor the twitching you can never be to careful but it's probably nothing.

You're not a moaning minnie, you are a HAPPY minnie!! Laughing

Jennifer,

Keep your heart open to dreams for
as long as there is dream there is hope
and as long as there is hope
there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 3:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - i'll be on strict twitch-watch from now on and if they get more frequent i'll see the doc. Thanks!
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 4:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummmm, do you think we are more tuned into our bodies now that we have Quit? I wonder, because we were in such denial about smoking and how smoking affected our bodies. I have never paid more attention to my breathing than now, or how my chest or sinuses feel. I wonder.

I would have it checked out by a doctor if it continues. Very Happy

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
UB

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 20, 2004 11:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked my dr about my heart skipping beats and he said that I was drinking too much caffeine.

Alice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: