quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggestions, anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 11:21 AM    Post subject: Suggestions, anyone? Reply with quote

BUMMERS!! Crying or Very sad As most of you know, I've put myself on a diet to lose weight. It's really been going well and I'm feeling great. That is I was until yesterday when my doctor called with the results of my recent blood test.

Now, I know this is no big deal but DARN it, I now have to go on another diet because my "bad" cholesterol is too high. The good news is that everything else is just fine.

Does anyone have any good recipes or suggestions to help with this diet? I just hate to give up everything I enjoy. Oh well, guess I'd better just quit whining and get on with it.

Thanks for any help given.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 11:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you need to change your diet, doesn't mean you can't enjoy eating and food. Check out www.foodtv.com. They have a lot of recipes. Stay away from fried foods, saturated fats, and if you need to fry i suggest olive oil, its much healthier. Everything in moderation!!

Check out this link!! Don't be discouraged! Eating healthy is great, and tasty!

http://www.drgourmet.com/index.shtml

much love
mariko

Follow Your Bliss
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 12:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mariko,

Many thanks for the sites. I've looked at both and honestly feel they'll be a big help. I really want to be able to do this without medication if possible and the doctor suggested we try it this way for 6 months.

Thanks for caring and for the suggestions. You're a wonderful addition to woofmang.

Jo
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 12:59 PM    Post subject: Hi! Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help but I think I was able to help my LDL/HDL ratio by eating more "good" fats --

Much of this information I got from the South Beach Diet - but believe me, I don't follow it adamantly...just adopted some things that I think were helpful for me, like the "good fats"

Here's what I have been doing:'
1. Eating much more fresh or frozen veggies
2. Trying to find low fat cheeses, dairy, and meats
3. Reducing the processed foods
4. Eating more whole grain products - not 'enriched'
5. Eating things made with olive oil or canola oil, nuts, natural peanut butter (no sugar), and more fish.

Kris

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
jkolako796

Quit Date:
May 16, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 1:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.epicurious.com has some great recipes as well.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 1:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What foods are restricted on your new diet?

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 1:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Carla, I'm not certain exactly what restrictions I'll have; doctor is sending a diet. I do know that saturated fats are a big "no-no."

Jo
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 1:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris, thanks for telling me what you've been doing. That looks pretty much like what I think will be the diet I'll be on. You're right. The goal is to have a better LDL/HDL ratio.

Thanks, jkolako for the website. It appears to have lots of good ideas too. This is sure going to be a new adventure for me.

Jo
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 2:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you like oatmeal (I actually hate it unless it's in chocolate chip cookies) but I hear that it can help lower bad cholesterol.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 8:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kerry. Oatmeal doesn't sound too awful. I'll give it a try.

Jo
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 4:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo, I am wondering what's on the diet as well. Please share when you get it. Oatmeal sounds great, unfortunately I love mine with butter and sugar! Embarassed And chocolate chips. . . I guess that is a cookie!

Also, have to agree with Kris, I love the South Beach Diet. Since it is a lower fat, good carb way of eating, it might work. But I would compare the diet from your doctor with the food items suggested in the SBD before going that route.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
UB

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 7:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Been on a low fat and low cholesterol diet for years and the food is good. Still cheat some- been cheating big time since I quit, but Triglycerides(SP?) going up, so have to straighten up.
Two excellent cookbooks: Better Homes and Gardens Low-Fat Meals and Betty Crocker's New Low-Fat Low-Cholesterol Cookbook. Delicious recipes in it and gives good ideas on how to just change your regular recipes a bit to make them better for you.
Diet actually has very little to do with Cholesterol---it's mostly inherited and the only way to reduce it is with meds, unfortunately. I even went on a vegetarian diet to try to lower mine naturally. My bro went on Vitamin B3 and that didn't work. We are both on Lipitor and Tricor now.
Be of good cheer and just change your diet litttle at a time Very Happy Very Happy

Alice
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 7:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what products you have in the US but in the Uk we had spreads and yoghurts that help to reduce cholesterol. They might help?

My dad has the same problem and uses these. He's on medication though too - don't worry - it doesn't seem to bother him at all so if you do need to take that route it's no big worry. Smile

http://www.benecol.com/home2.jhtml
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 9:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Alice, I'm going cookbook shopping and will get the Better Crocker and Better Homes and Gardens low fat books. Didn't know there were such books out. I know this condition is largely hereditary and I'll probably end up taking medication but want to do this myself if I can. The meds are so expensive and we (on Medicare and a supplemental plan) don't have prescription coverage. It does get costly.

Hope thanks for the website. I'll check it out.

Haven't received the materials from the doc yet but will let you know what is included.

Jo
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 11:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's right!! Hope is right about the spreads. I use smart balance and it's really pretty good. I never use margarine, always butter. But this stuff tastes real close. I think that the spread contains olive oil rather than animal fat. Also, you should check the web - there has to be a list of low cholosterol foods. Try drweil.com too, I think he's great. Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: