quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just checking in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanessa

Quit Date:
March 7, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 4:20 PM    Post subject: Just checking in! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Hope all is well. I am checking in and posting some thoughts and revelations about myself. I was thinking about my 5 months of freedom recently and was asked by a "smoking friend" how I "talked myself into" staying quit. It was an interesting question and I answered like this....

* When I stopped making excuses on why I should smoke, i.e., a bad day at work, kids got on my nerves, stress, etc., then this wasn't an issue for me anymore.

* When I promised myself I would take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time, then before I knew it.......5 months had gone by.

* When I stopped fixating on smoking and started seeing myself as an "addict". This became something I couldn't live with anymore.

* When depression or anxiety after I quit crept in.......I allowed myself to feel bad for a day...then promised myself I would have a good attitude tomorrow and did the things necessary to make that happen, i.e., exercise, deep breathing, drinking water...

* I made it my absolute priority to quit smoking-I gave up going out for a few weeks, drinking alcohol for a few weeks, only spent time with smoking friends at non-smoking venues. Even when I missed the "smokers circle", I became my best friend and learned from my own behaivor. Even gaining a few pounds didn't sway my efforts (weight gain was always a back door for me...I didn't let it win this time).

At 5 months and 1 week....I finally feel free. I finally feel like myself. I finally feel something...anything....as smoking made me repress alot of emotions.

I'm glad to see new faces and familiar ones still here. I hardly think about smoking or not smoking anymore but when I do....this is where I want to come to let it go....

Vanessa

---
5m 1w 5d 7:20 smoke-free, 3,308 cigs not smoked, $661.60 saved, 1w 4d 11:40 life saved

Don't accept your current situation as a permanent station in life. You have the power to change. Strive for more.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 4:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Glad you stopped by, Vanessa, and that you are doing so well in your smoke free life Exclamation

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 4:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vanessa, Your post came just in time for me. It really helped alot. I have been struggling terrrible these past few days. Very sad, can't seem to get smoking off my mind. So I too, am taking it one day at a time. I tell myself tomorrow is another day closer to wellness.

You went at this very positive. I think that is the key.

Thank you for you post, I was coming very close to smoking again.
But I know it is my choice. I really don't like being an addict. For some reason I feel all alone in this. Even though there is this support site.

Sometimes I feel like my roller coaster is going to crash.

But I will keep rereading your post, and go back to ffs.

Thank you.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 4:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanessa,
It's so nice to see you back here.....I don't get to FFS too often any more. I am glad you're doing well Very Happy Take care and keep up your fantasic quit!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 18, 2004 8:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vanessa,

Great to see you hear and to read that you're doing so well. Congrats on being more than 5 months quit. That's fantastic.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 4:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vanessa, you have given me renewed hope that I will make it through this and come out on the other side a better person. You are doing a great job with this Quit. Thank you so much for sharing the positives.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Vanessa

Quit Date:
March 7, 2004

PostPosted: August 19, 2004 10:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for reading my post! Please know that we can make it out intact, healthy, and living on the other side. As long as we keep believing in ourselves, make ourselves accountable, and make quitting our first priority....then we will all win. Never give in, never give up, and always smell the flowers TODAY....stop wondering what happens tomorrow and next week.......it's too far....our minds can't comprehend. We can stay QUIT today......can't we?

Vanessa

---
5m 1w 6d 1:12 smoke-free, 3,321 cigs not smoked, $664.20 saved, 1w 4d 12:45 life saved

Don't accept your current situation as a permanent station in life. You have the power to change. Strive for more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: