quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

low blood pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bake10

Quit Date:
October 20, 2004

PostPosted: August 23, 2004 8:19 PM    Post subject: low blood pressure Reply with quote

i went to the Dentist today, and of course now days they check your blood pressure, mine was 94/53 very low. the dentist tells me I should talk to my Dr about it. I have always had low blood pressure but never that low. I am wondering if it is because I stopped smoking. who knows. I don't feel dissy or anything. I made an appt to see my Dr on wednesday, also to check out some of my moles, my sister has skin cancer so I thought I should get checked out. I am glad when he asks me if I smoke I can say I quit. I let you know the outcome, If anyone else is experiencing this blood pressure issue after your quit.
Jeri bake10
bake10

Quit Date:
October 20, 2004

PostPosted: August 23, 2004 8:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

marw wrote:
Yes, I have been having very low blood pressure since the quit. I found - out because they take it at Pulmonary Rehab. When I go to the doc's office, it is normal, probably because I am up tense there, but in real life it is very, very low.

Let me know what your doc says. Mine is like yours. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi Margaret, I will let you know . why do you go to pulmanry rehab?
Jeri bake10
LANEY

Quit Date:
January 12, 2011

PostPosted: August 24, 2004 2:35 AM    Post subject: YES,YES,YES! Reply with quote

Hi, I just wanted you to know, quiting does effect your blood preasure. My husband has high blood preasure, and the first thing his Dr. said was quit smoking! (he still hasnt listened) I have low blood preasure myself and when I tried stopping cold-turkey I couldnt stay awake. I'm using patches now and that seems to help me. Good luck! sinc, Laney

Life isn't about how to survive the storm........ But how to dance in the rain. author unknown
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 24, 2004 7:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quitting smoking causes a lot of changes in your body. Your blood pressure can drop almost immediately after quitting...and in most people's case, this can be a good thing! Your metabolism slows down, and your body changes the rate of absorption of some medications.

After quitting, it's always a good idea to have a doctor check you out. Make sure they know you are quit and for how long, and that they understand what this does to your body, and how especially it can affect the dosage of any medications you are taking.

Most health issues after quitting, if negative, are recovery related and are usually temporary. Most positive changes are also recovery related, and are usually for the long term. However, please remember that not everything is always related to quitting smoking....which is why it's always a good idea to check anything out that might be unusual and worrying to you! Smoking can mask and hide many symptoms of medical conditions that you might not even realize you have, until you quit. Check it out! Good luck, you're doing great!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
auntieM

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 25, 2004 4:21 PM    Post subject: Low blood pressure Reply with quote

I have really low blood pressure too. I am normally 90/50 to 100/60. As far as I can tell, quitting hasn't made it any lower. I've had it taken a few times since then and it's the same. The doctor keeps telling me if I drop below 90/50 (which I do regularly), that I won't be able to stand up and talk (which is nonsense - I do both just fine when it drops too low). My body has had low blood pressure since I was first tested at the age of 5 (my mom's a nurse and used us kids as guinea pigs when she was in school).

I can tell when it goes above 100. I know I need to relax and focus on 'happy thoughts' because it causes me so much stress to be that 'excited'.

On the bright side, having low blood pressure does make you 'mellow' and calmer. I have one of those 'sunny dispositions' and I know it's because my blood pressure is low. I say - ENJOY!

I have yet to find a doctor that can tell me WHY it might be a problem to have low blood pressure. It doesn't cause any strain on your heart or body - so what's the issue?

Em

There are days when you have to be Wonder Woman. Then there are days when you fake it until you make it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: