quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A bit apprehensive - Back to the Bowling Alley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 30, 2004 6:31 PM    Post subject: A bit apprehensive - Back to the Bowling Alley Reply with quote

My bowling league starts soon....and I'm a bit nervous about bowling as a "non-smoker". I can't be there tomorrow night for our first night- so I rolled off. I made it through three games by myself not smoking but the cues to smoke were all-over the place and I my scores were awful. I was lucky there weren't any smokers bowling nearby. I had to dig out my cinnamon stick and puff a bit to get a bit settled. I haven't had my cinnamon stick out in weeks. The stick of cinnamon was my substitute (instead of food) very early in my quit - I could , hold it, flick it and even "inhale" (deep breathing) with the cinnamon stick - just not light it or smoke it - it was very comforting early on - but with time away from the habit - I don't find myself reaching for it as much.

I've talked to my best bowling buddy and she'll be there for me - and the other non-smokers will be supportive but thinking about it makes me wonder if I'm ready to test myself in this environment - going to the bowling alley feels a bit like swimming in shark invested waters....I think I need to think about this a bit more...anybody been through this?
I don't drink when I bowl - even though most everyone else is...why can't smoking be the same - just because other are doesn't mean I have to. I can continue to choose life over a nasty, gross, disgusting habit.

I think maybe I need to be prepared to just leave - walk away if it is too much but I think I want to try - I do enjoy the bowling. I've got a week to think about it... I don't want to over analyze it - but I also don't want to get side-swiped - it is a "high-risk" environment. I don't want to go through nicotine withdrawl again....I will not give up these almost 11 weeks of freedom from smoking!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 30, 2004 6:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

Hi! It's good that you recognize the possible triggers to going bowling. Pat yourself on the back for that! I think you already answered your own question. If it gets to be too tough, just walk out of the situtation for a bit. Take your cinammon stick. Go outside for a fresh of breath air. Relax and collect yourself. Then go back in. If it gets way too overwhelming. Just leave altogether! It's a bowling game, not as important as your choice to quit and stay quit. You can do this. You know your triggers and are on guard. Best wishes to you in overcoming the bowling alley!

Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 30, 2004 7:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the fear is greater than the actual deal.

I shot darts in my league 3 days into my quit. Suffice it to say that I smoked a LOT usually during that (I'm a bowler, too, so I know what you mean). After my first game, which I won ( Wink ), I sat down at our table and had a HUGE crave. Not even a crave, more of a reflex action. I reached for a cig (that wasn't there) and realized I did and moved on. It wasn't that bad, honestly, and the smoke actually annoyed me more than anything while I was there.

I had my plans ready, and it sounds like you do, too. My first line of defense was a walk around, then a trip to the bathroom, then cold water on my face, and worst came to worst, I was out of there. It never came to that.

The best thing I've discovered in this quit is that anything I did as a smoker I can still enjoy - and often enjoy more - as a nonsmoker.

You can do it, Mary!!

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 30, 2004 7:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh I understand exactly what you're saying. I stayed away from those types of situations and when I finally went back, I still had massive craves. But you know what? I'm still going to keep trying because I don't want to have to stay away from life forever. If it is too hard for you then by all means stay away as long as you need to. But don't give bowling up forever if it's something you really enjoy. You're doing great. Kerry
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 30, 2004 7:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed on bowling this year. I even passed on bowling in a charity fund raiser a couple of saturday's ago. The bowling alley smells like one hugh ashtray. Even with the filters going there was a haze of smoke in the air. I don't know if it was a fear of facing the triggers or just no desire to be in that smoke filled building. I hope I do get past this because I really do like to bowl. Rolling Eyes

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: August 30, 2004 9:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary,
I have not bowled in years but can understand your apprehension. If I was not comfortable I would not do it, but then I would miss out on alot. The only thing I can suggest is to try to think of every possible thing that could happen, have a plan of action to battle it. If things start to get too much, go to the bathroom and start saying I Choose Life over and over, If you are still nervous then get the heck out of there and protect your quit. Even if you have to leave Mary, it does not mean that you would not make it through the next time. Keep us posted on what you decide.
Rolling Eyes Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: August 30, 2004 9:39 PM    Post subject: ms_tapestry Reply with quote

Sorry but I must laugh at that one. I didn't tell my family I'd quit so this weekend we had Mom and Dads 50th Wedding Anniversary and I'm the only one with a Costco card so when we were there doing the food shopping they all note the price of a carton of cigs. We have 8 kids in my family and 5 were there. All smokers by the way. They have me up at the counter as they order their cigs and since it's my card I'm the one ordering and carrying them to the car. I have a whole box of cartons and I must admit I found it a tad funny as when does that ever happen other than in a sitcom.LOL By the way even if I'd told them I quit they would have acted no different because in their eyes if you quit thats just fine but you don't get to whine about it. Hence why I'm hers. I lack family suppoert.LOL
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 31, 2004 8:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

I'm with Lynn, you gotta get out there and face it, you don't want to run and hide from life. It might be hard the first or even second time, but everything we do as a non-smoker can be hard at first. I just keep thinking those poor souls they have to do that every hour or so for the rest of their lives. They have to plan for account for it and many of them have to stay away from non smoking places cause they can't get their fix. Remember we're the lucky ones, we choose life

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 1, 2004 8:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of something else that works for me...if you see people smoking and AREN'T either saddened or disgusted...picture them with their oxygen tanks. Used to snap me out of any "I wish" moments, because the odds are that's where I used to be headed and they still are Sad

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 2:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is precisely where the phenomenon of the "terrible three's" comes from. The three month mark (which is right about now for you) is supportable in that it typically marks a change of seasons, ie: the start of the bowling season. There will be a number of brand new things that you have never done before as a non smoker.

I am worried about the three month mark for me, as that is usually where I have always lost my quit in the past. I just never knew there was a reason before.

We have a better chance to survive the three month mark now that we have educated ourselves about this awful addiction.

Go back to the modules at FFS and read about the terrible threes at Whyquit.com, and I believe Kevin has also written about it.

ARM YOURSELF and SURVIVE!!!!!!!!

You can do this. Go bowling and have a great time and just don't smoke!

Julie - day 46

"Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering" (Heb. 10:32)
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 7:48 PM    Post subject: I'll be BOWLING on Tuesday! THANKS! Reply with quote

I'll be at the alley on Tuesday evening! I will be prepared to leave - but I do want to bowl - so I have to try! I just made it through my first funeral as a non-smoker, I knew there would be cues and there were - but I had my plan and my support (my sister is my biggest cheerleader and shewas there) - so it wasn't exactly easy - but I was successful. Also had a long chat with my one still smoking cousin - he's picked 9/15/04 as his quit date - it'll be his 40th birthday and he'd always promised his mom he'd quit when he turned 40 - (it was his mom's funeral - my aunt) - So I told him I'd be there to support his quit... We'll be choosing life!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
justdebbie

Quit Date:
August 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 10:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,
I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. *hugs hon* Let us know how the bowling goes. Most bowling alleys are a smokers paradise. I often wonder when they will make them smoke free. I know you will be really tested there, but I think you have thought things through and will do fine. Maybe you will bowl a 300.!! Very Happy

One day at time Hugs Deb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: