quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BREATHE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: September 1, 2004 11:32 PM    Post subject: BREATHE Reply with quote

A while back I was reading a book about health. I read the section on smoking. One of the things it said (good news bad news type thing) was that the one good thing smokers did that most people don't do, is breathe - deeply. Bad news of course is that they're breathing in poison. And when they quit, they just don't breathe that deeply anymore - don't need to. But unfortunately they don't feel as relaxed and often relapse. The author made it clear that it was SO important to breathe, especially if you're quitting smoking. I actually went out and bought a CD on breathing. And you know what, it's so true. When I focus, and I mean really focus on breathing, any crave I have usually goes away. I've heard many people say this. Soooo, to make a short story long Embarassed let's not forget to breathe people...in...out....in....out..... Kerry
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 12:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this post was very informative. I have heard to breathe deeply etc, and now that i know why.. It makes a lot more sense to me. Its kind of strange to think after quitting that our body doean't breathe deeply anymore! Shocked

THanks for the post!! I am going to concentrate on breathing when a crave hits! Very Happy

hugs
mariko

Follow Your Bliss
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 5:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry, this is great information. Breathing is an instant stress reliever. Thanks for the reminder. Very Happy

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by ms_tapestry on September 2, 2004 6:15 AM; edited 1 time in total
UB

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 6:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so Much Very Happy You know that is funny Laughing Laughing Laughing I paid a lot of attention the last few days before I quit and for the first month of my quit, I made sure that I was breathing the same way I smoked. It helped a lot. I've been really stressing out the last month + and you have made me realize that I have stropped breathing that way. Will start again right away

Alice
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 8:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Maybe we should all get a balloon to blow up as it makes you light headed if you have a batch to do. Same thing happens when you started smoking. Maybe the affect can be reversed after all Laughing Count all the cigs you figured you have ever smoked now match that with balloons and since most of us have put in a few years that will keep us busy well into the next few decades. Wink

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2004 2:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry - Great reminder. I keep catching my self not breathing. I will take a deep breath and it will occur to me that I did it and I will think..."Man, I haven't done that in a while. It sure did feel good!" Also, I breathe like I did when I smoked to get through craves. It really helps. Thanks for the post.

Melody - I doubt if I could fund the purchase of that many balloons!

Julie - day 46

"Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering" (Heb. 10:32)
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: September 3, 2004 9:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kerry...you are right. Unless I am thinking about breathing deep or practicing Yoga my breath is slower.

I'll keep reminding myself to take those deep freedom breaths.

Sandyz
Ten months, one week, four days, 51 minutes and 49 seconds. 14221 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,941.25. Life saved: 7 weeks, 9 hours, 5 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2004 10:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The balloons seem to work by the way. I've got a pink one I'm using now. Laughing You don't have to tie it and it is reusable. When I first did it yesterday hubby thought I was going to tie it and leave it lying around the house and he figured I'd better jam them into the spare room as the house would be full in no time. I chuckle every time I think of it. My first morning today that I've felt in total control.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 4, 2004 3:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reminder. Thanks. In....Out....In....Out....!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 4, 2004 4:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Great reminder...I have found that when I am walking the dogs in the pasture and through the trails, that I am taking in deep breaths that I was unable to do in the past. I just thought it was because I could and I felt better...maybe it is just my body wanting the fresh air for a change.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 4, 2004 10:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great and informative info Kerry Very Happy
Calliemae

Quit Date:
May 3, 2004

PostPosted: September 5, 2004 12:12 AM    Post subject: congrats Reply with quote

congrats on 4 months and thanks for the reminder

Lisa
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: September 5, 2004 12:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Margaret, the CD is called "Breathing" by Dr. Andrew Weil and I believe that I bought it off of Amazon. If Amazon doesn't have it, Borders or Barnes and Nobel could probably order it. I also have a guided imagery CD by him that is awesome. Kerry
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 5, 2004 2:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Andrew Weil is good. Great tip. Thanks.

Love Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 6, 2004 7:19 PM    Post subject: Yawning?? Reply with quote

I wonder if the not breathing right, is why I'm always yawning when I'm driving? It used to be driving and smoking - and now that I'm only driving - I find that I yawn alot - big, mouth wide-open, jaw cracking yawns! In fact my mom (my passenger) pointed it out to me - the yawning thing. I don't think that its because I'm tired - I think its because I'm driving and not inhaling Laughing Demon I'll have to pay attention, try some deep breathing and see if I'm continuing to yawn. To think I've been breathing for all these years and not doing it right!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: