quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

update on my fitness program
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 6, 2004 1:02 PM    Post subject: update on my fitness program Reply with quote

six weeks ago, i started a fitness program (which you can read about in the thread i originally posted in this forum at the time; it's called "started my fitness program") and told you i'd update you in six weeks. here's the update:

back then, i wrote that i weighed in at 189 pounds, and that my body fat percentage was 23.8%, and that my main goals were to reduce my body fat percentage to 20% (without losing any more than 4 pounds) and to at least double my score on the marine fitness test in 6 weeks.

this morning, i weighed in at 193 pounds, and my body fat percentage is 24.6%. on the other hand, i have very nearly doubled my performance on all of the exercises in the calisthenics part of the program, so i am seeing progress.

when i look at my workout log, i see two major reasons why i failed to meet the goals i set for myself 6 weeks ago:

first, according to the program, you should do at least 3 one-hour workouts every week; because of various reasons, i only actually did 9 half-hour workouts in the past 6 weeks.

second, since i'm at such an early stage of the cardio part of the program (this is the "walk/jog/run" program; i'm still mostly walking with a bit of jogging), i'm unable to sustain a vigorous 30 minute cardio workout.

so, to move myself in the right direction, i am recommitting to doing 3 hour-long workouts every week, and have adopted an alternative workout plan (as suggested in the book):

instead of doing calisthenics and cardio workouts on alternate days (as i had been doing; M/W/F - calisthenics at home, T/Th/Sat - cardio at the track), i'm combining them by riding a stationary bike for 10 minutes, doing the first set of calisthenics, riding the bike for another 10 minutes, doing the second set of calisthenics, doing another 10 minutes on the bike, and then doing the final set of calisthenics.

my new goals are to reduce my body fat percentage to 21% or less and to double my score on the fitness test in the next six weeks. since weight isn't really a concern to me, i'm not setting a short-term goal there; i believe that when i reach my other long-term goals (body fat percentage in the mid teens and a score on the marine fitness test that puts me into the "First Class" fitness category for my age group), my weight will be exactly where it should be.

next "weigh-in" is columbus day. see you then.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 6, 2004 1:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I hope this is not something we all have to do on this site?? Laughing Laughing
Just kidding, I think it is great that you are exercising. You are setting a wonderful example for better health.

Now, if I would just stay away from this computer long enough, I could go downstairs and workout my self. My excuse used to be that I would gain so much muscle that I looked like a body builder. Now, however, I do not think that would be an issue. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Keep up the mental attitude and good luck and maybe, just maybe I will follow suit.
Kay
Wink

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
bake10

Quit Date:
October 20, 2004

PostPosted: September 6, 2004 2:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepp on trucking Kevin. It is hard to get on a work out scheduale, especially one that invoves 30 minutes of arobics. I have been working out for 3 weeks now. I gained 6 lbs sense my quit. I haven't lost any weight, but they say mucle weighs more then fat , so maybe i am building up mucle. Keep us up to date. Razz Jeri
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 6, 2004 4:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

You've set some pretty stiff goals for yourself but you sound so determined that I, for one, feel certain you're going to meet those goals.

I feel great that I'm able to do my treadmill for 30 minutes 3 - 4 times/week. I've lost about 6 pounds because of the exercise and the diet I'm on.

We're all going to be such healthy folks, maybe we should organize a marathon or something???????

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 7, 2004 8:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I'm curious. Are you calculating your body fat percentage or using a scale which measures it? I ask because I'm thinking about getting the scale but I don't know anyone who has one.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 7, 2004 12:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla wrote:
Kevin, I'm curious. Are you calculating your body fat percentage or using a scale which measures it?

hi, Carla,

the book i'm using, The Marine Corps 3X Fitness Program for Men and Women by Martin Cohen (it's out of print, but i found an online source for a used copy: http://www.thethreemonkeysbooks.com/si/2394.html), has six tables that were developed by the marines to predict body fat percentage based on circumferential measurements taken at various locations on the body.

for men, it's simple: measure the neck (just below the adam's apple) and the waist (at the level of the navel), find the place on the single men's table where the two numbers intersect, and you've found your body fat percentage.

for women, it's somewhat more complicated: it involves measurements at five points (neck, upper arm, forearm, waist, and thigh), with each point having its own table; you find your total points on each of the five tables, add them up, subtract a constant, and you're left with your body fat percentage.

it's very nearly as accurate as hydrostatic (underwater) body fat percentage calculation (in fact, circumferential measurement using charts like the ones in this book are now the standard in all american military services for gauging body fat percentages of military personnel), and the only equipment you need is a tape measure and a copy of the tables.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: September 9, 2004 12:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin...this thread made me tired. Shocked

I do my best to do Yoga three times a week and jog/walk down to the logging trail and back. (I can do this without having my chest explode)

I'll look forward to seeing how your doing columbus day.

Interesting and I'll check out the web site. Our company has a wellness program and checks our body fat % each year. mine was much better before I quit smoking. But last year (Nov) I was only five or six weeks into my quit and was eating anything sweet...plus i slept alot. I'll see how this year has gone now that the surgar urge has passed and I am careful how I treat myself.

Sandyz
Ten months, two weeks, three days, 3 hours, 17 minutes and 15 seconds. 14496 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,978.73. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 8 hours, 0 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2004 1:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you are so cute. I saw an article on the news last night that talked about fitness versus fatness. They said it is so much more important to be fit and not to worry as much about fatness and what the scale says. You are doing great in the fitness category. The rest will take care of itself.

And by the way

Quote: "find the place on the single men's table"

what about married men? Do single men have a different table?

"Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering" (Heb. 10:32)
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2004 1:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

julie wrote:
And by the way

Quote: "find the place on the single men's table"

what about married men? Do single men have a different table?

no, julie; i meant there's only one table for men, where women have five to deal with. sorry for the confusion.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2004 5:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up...you know, my mind was really making up some interesting scenarios. Laughing

"Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering" (Heb. 10:32)
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2004 5:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and as usual, women have five times as much to do as the men....oh never mind. I'm in the wrong forum. I should be in the just for fun forum. Embarassed

kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2004 7:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

julie wrote:
oh, and as usual, women have five times as much to do as the men....oh never mind. I'm in the wrong forum. I should be in the just for fun forum. Embarassed

so you can have five times as much fun? Wink

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2004 9:33 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, yea!

Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: September 10, 2004 11:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like an interesting work-out plan. Let us know how it goes! Heh, i didn't know you could calculate your own body % fat! Its so crazy how much more woman have!! hehehe Good Luck and have fun working out!! Very Happy

Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 11, 2004 4:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Determination should be your middle name. Very Happy

The body fat calculation sounds pretty interesting. Since the book is out of print, do you think you might find it in your heart to post the tables and formulas for men and women here on woofmang? I, for one, would love to know my body fat %. (Well, I'm half afraid to find out! Shocked ) Anyway, give it some thought.

You are awesome....keep up the good work!

Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: