quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So-called Friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdaddyscds

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 14, 2004 3:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 100 days. That is very cool. I have found that I have come to expect no support from anyone except y'all. That's why I come here. My wife, who has been very supportive, even looked at me and said "you know you haven't seemed as happy the last few months". I was like "Well, yeah, do you think that coincides with something else?". And to her credit she made the connection, but I don't think it would have crossed her mind, but see I don't think it should necessarily. She has never been there. She doesn't know what it's like. She doesn't understand that even though it's been four months that I still want it. But she's never wanted it so I don't blame her. I thought maybe I should communicate with her more about where I was. Than she will always respond appropriately because she is wonderful that way.
John

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Thomas Fuller , M.D.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: September 14, 2004 4:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

feed em to my shark! Laughing

Tammy
Free and loving it!
terryg

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 15, 2004 6:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly believe that those that haven't smoked have NOOOOOOO clue.

I go through the same thing with my husband, coworkers, & friends. Its like they are just waiting with baited breath for me to light up. I don't get words of encouragement, its more like a slam when they mention it at all.

I am very happy I found this site. We are all blessed to have each other for support & in time of need.

Terry

PS: Congrats on the 100 days.............. It feels good.

jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: September 15, 2004 7:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that those who have never smoked have no clue. My boyfriend actually said to me that he thinks this is "easy"
I've friends tell me that they don't think I can do this, make bets about how long it will last this time, etc. but I kind of see where they are coming from because I haven't had the best track record when trying to quit in the past. I think that unless they are going through the quitting process or have been through it in the past, then they just don't know where we are coming from. I would step back and look at what kind of friends they have been outside of the whole quitting issue. And explain to them that you are really serious about quitting this time and maybe even telling them about the preparation and time you have put into this quit.
That's just what I would do and actually have done with a few of my friends.

Jenny
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: September 15, 2004 8:15 PM    Post subject: Happy 100th anniversary Jenny :) Reply with quote

Happy 100th Jenny! That's a great milestone to achieve!

I think I posted here very early in my quit that my wife, who is a non-smoker, and for years nagged me to quit, hated that I smoked in the house etc. kinda dissed me when I quit.

Every day I would report that "today is my 11th day of not smoking", etc.
One day she said " am I going to hear this every day"? I replied, no problem, I'll just start smoking again and change the beneficiary on my life insurance policy to my dog! haha.. It's not really how it went down, but, my point is that even our loved ones, who never smoked, don't realize just how strong the addiction is, and how big an accomplishment it is to quit, and stay quit!

I think when you are among your peers here, the common thread that we all share makes the relevance of our quits easier to understand than for someone on the outside of our elite group.

Sad, but true! Nevertheless, continue along with your fantastic quit and enjoy life. I know my wife is very supportive and happy that I've quit, I just don't think she needs to hear about it every day. It's more like show me and don't tell me!

Regards,

Frankie

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 16, 2004 8:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I wanted to let you know that I did take action and not just come here for a whine party! Rolling Eyes And, your responses helped put things in perspective for me. Smile

Yesterday evening my dear, wonderful husband and I had a long talk about how I felt about my friends. (God, I may have done some stupid things in my life, but marrying that man was the best decision ever.) Anyway.....he made several good points about several of my friends' behavior before my quit, where several of my friends are coming from (two of whom I've known longer than him and who continue to be very, very heavy smokers) and putting into perspective the positive changes we are making. He reminded me how change scares those around us, even when the change is good.

As trite as it may sound, by posting here I realized how difficult this change is for me and how much I need to grow. I'm definately making better choices and grateful for this site and all of your help.

Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Katy

Quit Date:
January 4, 2002

PostPosted: September 16, 2004 1:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have noted that quitting smoking has given me a boost in the confidence area. My circle of friends has "somewhat" changed. My interests are a bit different. I realize that my happiness doesn't depend on "others". I know that I was hiding behind a smoke screen.....denying my true feelings and keeping quiet for fear of my so-called 'friends' not liking me?? Guess what? I no longer care to have friends like those. Just like my quit was a move toward independence, so are the other changes I have made in my life. I am happier, more productive, less stressed, more compassionate. I have learned to be to others what I want them to be to me......and it WORKS!
as to our quits? Well no one understands unless they have been there....and even then, we are all different and don't experience it the same way. I am proud to see you feeling better about it. Congratulations on your 100 days! that first year is full of wonderous discoveries and milestones that you need to shout about. Be proud of YOURSELF! Wink
Katy
Kickin' Ash for Two years, eight months, one week, four days, 21 hours, 11 minutes and 16 seconds. 39435 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,619.29. Life saved: 19 weeks, 3 days, 22 hours, 15 minutes.

Smoking is NOT an option.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 16, 2004 8:27 PM    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Very Happy I have a friend who will not come over to visit me anymore because they cannot smoke in my house. That hurt me bad, but then again I too realize that when I smoked, I would also avoid places I could not smoke.
One Christmas Eve I spent about 6 hours in a cold damp wet basement alone because my mother-in-law would not allow me to smoke around her. She does not mind her own sons smoking around her though. The last time I was down I pulled out my Nicotrol and she thought it was cigarettes and told me her house was a smoke free house. Ten minutes later both her sons were chain smoking around their mom and I and she said nothing. I told my husband I would not go to her house anymore because she will not allow smoking around her own blood relatives who don't want to be around it like her grand daughter. But yet they all smoke around me knowing I have emphysema and because I am at their house I have no choice to be around it. But I do have a choice becuse I don't have to go there anymore and I won't.

I plan to do some weeding out myself also and make some new non smoking friends. I cannot let these people disrespect me anymore.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 16, 2004 8:28 PM    Post subject: WTG Reply with quote

Very Happy I forgot to Congratulate you on your 100 days of Freedom.

WTG Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoy your day.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Jenny

Quit Date:
August 2, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2004 8:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LITTLE LATE -

BUT, I AM VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU.

100 DAYS! UNREAL. GREAT. PROVES YOU ARE STRONG.

Maybe your friends indifference to their 'NON-SMOKING friend' will just make you stronger and more powerful.

I think all of us here stand the best chance ever of being that PERCENT OF QUITTERS WHO REMAIN QUITTERS FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES.

So, keep on bragging and I expect to hear about every milestone in the process.

Cool

Jenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: