quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Changing times?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Crave-inator

Quit Date:
August 11, 2003

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 4:59 PM    Post subject: Changing times? Reply with quote

Hi all, Need to vent here a little bit! Was at a baby shower this weekend and I'm still upset about it! In between the usual games and ooo-ing and aaaaah-ing, they passed around a basket of envelopes and asked us each to put our name and address on each envelope. I was horrified to look in the envelope and realize that I was being asked to address MY OWN THANK YOU CARD!!!!!!!!! Am I out of line or is this the tackiest thing you've ever heard of!!!!!!!!! Seriously, please let me know if I'm out of line because I'm still fuming! And no, I didn't have an urge to smoke, but I really need to get some perspective on this. Please help. Barb (The Crave-inator)
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 5:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well I've never been to a shower that has done that yet. Thanks for preparing us.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
UB

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 5:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right there with you--that is the tackiest thing I've ever heard.

Alice
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 6:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to 2 bridal showers and 1 baby shower this summer and each one had us write our address on the envelope. But then they would draw a couple of envelopes and that person won a prize. It didn't really bother me. I didn't see anything wrong with it, but I really don't know the ettiquette of such things. DOn't go to many of them. Just happened that I had three this year. Putting on a baby shower for my daughter this October. Am getting on the internet to look up the do's and don'ts for showers.

You have a beautiful day. May God Bless! Very Happy

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
bigdaddyscds

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 8:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to play Dear Abby! Laughing Yes Barb you have a huge reason to fume. That is the most tactless thing I have evr heard. Being raised by the queen of etiquette she is rolling in her grave just hearing this post. The fact that they can not even go to the trouble of adressing their own Thank you cards is inexcusable. Next they will ask you for the stamp. But some people don't know better. And at least they are sending thank you's some don't even do that. So it could be worse!
John

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Thomas Fuller , M.D.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 9:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i don't know about dear abby, and i don't know about showers, but i do know that a lot of people aren't listed in the phone book, and in that case, if you don't have their address written down somewhere already, it can be tough to find. i don't see anything objectionable in asking people to write their name and address on an envelope; as someone else mentioned, at least they had the courtesy to think of a way to get a thank-you out to everybody...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 9:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now we know it was rude. Kevin a guy might I add thought it was a good idea so now I'm figuring it probably wasn't. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Every time I let my hubby take over he has us involved in one faux pas or another. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2004 9:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXTREMELY TACKY. COULD THIS WOMAN HAVE BEEN LAZIER? MAYBE SHE COULD HAVE HAD YOU WRITE IT TOO Exclamation KERRY
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 8:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm more understanding on this one...

While I've never seen it done, I think anything that saves a pregnant woman some time before she has her child is pretty much ok. And you wouldn't have been offended to sign a guest book with the information probably. It was just the envelope, she didn't ask you to thank yourself inside the card, right? Wink

Just trying to throw some perspective into all this...I can totally see both sides. But I also totally remember being exhausted and not getting my thank you cards in the mail before my kid was born, also. So, they got their announcements and thank you cards in the same week probably. I'm sure I was trashed behind my back for my faux pas to Wink

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 12:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb, I would have been offended, too. And I'm sure Martha S. would agree with me (but look at where she's going!).

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 2:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb:

If you want my reply, just send me a stamped, self-addressed envelope.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 2:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Tom! Laughing

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 2:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb, I've been to a few showers that have done that. I have always thought ....... they had my address to send me an invite. I also understand about saving the pregnant woman some time however maybe the proper thing to do would be to have who ever threw the shower address the envelopes for her?????? I have been asked to do this for wedding showers too. Also one time thank you notes and postage stamps were on the wish list. Thought that was pretty tacky.

And Tom once agian you have cracked me up Laughing

Tammy
Free and loving it!
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 3:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly I want to change my vote. You all have made great points! If anyone is going to help the poor pregnant woman out, it would be the people who threw the stupid shower in the first place!!! We did do that when we gave my sister's shower this past March. My other sister and I bought her the thank-you cards as part of the shower and had them addressed for her already.

See, minds can be changed...lol Wink

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 6:36 PM    Post subject: FOTFLOL Reply with quote

I'm sorry I can't vote...I am on the floor laughing at Tom's reply.

You gotta laugh. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sandyz
11 months Shocked

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: