quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some Questions...........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blondie1281

Quit Date:
January 3, 2007

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 10:28 AM    Post subject: Some Questions........... Reply with quote

Has anyone else had any trouble with their skin since their quit? My skin is "FREAKING" out. I normally have beautiful clear skin, I have never had acne except in 6th grade and it wasnt bad at all. Lately, my skin sorta feels like it is adjusting but it is getting better though, one day it is oily and the next it is so dry I have to load on lotion before I put on my makeup!

I also had gained about 5 pounds since my quit and I have been SO stressed about it. Weight has ALWAYS been an issue to me. I have always been pretty thin, but as soon as I start to gain, I freak out! So, I was trying to eat better, and I did for a while, but then I just fade back to old eating habits. Then I just decided, "HEY, shut up already about the weight! Look at what you have accomplished!" So I stopped stressing about it and guess what........I have lost it all! Worrying does such awful things to you sometimes! One adjustment that I have made to better the situation along with de-stressing is controlling how MUCH I eat. Portion is SO important. I have always heard that and thought the people that said that were full of it, but it is true. Have ONE serving of something instead of 4 that you normally eat without realizing it. And, its not about "starving" yourself, its eating till you are full, not stuffed. Test it out by putting on a plate at dinner what you normally eat, then according to the Nutritional facts, put on serving on your plate......BIG DIFFERENCE if you are like me. I would just get what filled my plate, and I have done that forever. Also, growing up with the "YOU HAVE TO FINISH YOUR PLATE OR YOU ARE GOING NOWHERE". Anyway, just a little tip, it works, trust me. Oh, and also, cut down on all the snacking during the day, eat your 3 meals a day, but dont deprive yourself. Drink an 8oz bottle of water with your meal to fill you up faster. ***Sorry if this post doesnt sound great, I am babbling, just trying to get out all my thoughts! I hope everyone has a great day and keep up that quit!

Our greatest battles are that with our own minds. - Jameson Frank
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 11:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My skin was a mess and has pretty much cleared up in the last few weeks. I'm up 7 pounds right now but that will go my body is just in shock. Hubby just bought us an inversion table so I figure if I stand on my head enough the extra tire around the middle might just pop up to the boob position. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 1:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a whole month of freedom!!!

I, too, had the opposite reaction, my skin got much clearer. Could it be anythig else other than the quit has changed? This time of year I have to start switching moisturizers because my skin gets less oily...not sure if it could something simple like that or not!

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
blondie1281

Quit Date:
January 3, 2007

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 1:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent done anything different as far as cleansers, etc. I have heard your skin changes upon quitting smoking....I dunno. I hope it gets back to normal!

Lynn, dumb question, but your screen name is law girl....are you an attorney, paralegal?? I am a paralegal, that is why I am asking. Just bein nosy Smile

jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 1:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acne/Cold Sores After Quitting
These are common detox symptoms (often called QuitZits around here), and are related to changing body chemistry/hormone shifts, as well as toxins, etc, leaving the body through all soft tissue.
Quitting smoking puts extra stress on you body's nervous system. A natural response to this kind of stress can be things like acne and cold sores. This detox process can also inflame, even infect, all soft tissue. Not fun, but also not permanent, and proof that your quit is on the right track.

This is from an e-mail that I get from quitnet.com. Hope it helps!
I've had cold sores too. One that will not go away Crying or Very sad
Definitely looking forward to this part being over!

Congrats on your quit!
Jenny
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 1:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm studying to be a paralegal right now...law school is still the ultimate dream, but we'll see where life takes me!

How do you like being a paralegal? What type of work do you do? I can't wait to get done with school!! I'm enjoying it, but I've always enjoyed the real world over the theoretical, you know?

What I meant by changes were: eating habits, stress, hormonal stuff, etc. Believe it or not, sometimes even eating healthier and drinking more water can actually make you break out initially, because your body starts expunging more stuff you didn't know was there. Just some ideas. Most people say that their skin improves when they quit, so hopefully yours is just doing some readjusting to the new you Smile

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
blondie1281

Quit Date:
January 3, 2007

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 1:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I graduated high school I knew exactly what I wanted to do, I wanted to be a CT Tech (cat scan) or an ultrasound tech. As I made my venture into the real world, I was offered a job as a legal assistant for a sole practitioner in a small law office. I thought, this is good, something to do in the meantime to save up some money. I honestly have NEVER done anything more exciting! i LOVE law and I cannot imagine myself doing anything else. I went to school not long after I got the job and I worked for that attorney until he relocated in another town 3 years later. I did mainly family law and lotsa bankruptcies! I did very little criminal law, I really dont like criminal law. Family law has much more drama if you ask me! After that attorney left, I stayed at the same office working for another family law attorney. Then, I decided I needed to broaden my horizons and I am now with a real estate attorney, I do NOT like real estate, and hopefully I have learned my lesson and will be going back to doing family law! I got to go to court regularly with my boss, prepare trial documents, testimony, voir dire, etc. I loved it!

Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 1:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Funny I should just happen to read this post today. I'm having just the opposite effect. Just this morning I noticed that my skin is beginning to look better than it ever has. It has a glow to it. Not as splotching looking and blah looking as in the past.

Thanks Jenny for the info. I have noticed not so much the acne, but the soft tissue. Lymph glands and soft tissue areas Embarassed have been tender the last few days. Plus I've skipped my vitamins the last couple of days. Vitamin E is one of the vitamins. Suggestion to anyone suffering from the soft tissue problem. Take vitamin E. 400 IU one in the morning and one in the evening. It's an antioxidant. It helps to maintain the lymph glands and immune system. The lymph system is used during the detox process to remove toxins from the body. The E also helps with the skin.

Hope your skin begins to improve. It's probably will after all the toxins are flushed out of your system. Keep smiling....it's probably just a temporary thing Smile

Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 1:53 PM    Post subject: Seabrez Reply with quote

Vitamin E can be toxic each person should consult their doctor. Different medications react poorly with vitamin E. Hubby like you also regained color and looks great. Just wasn't in my cards I guess. Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 2:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 1 month free! I had some break outs at first, didn't last long. My skin looks much better now alot softer and it is a bit more oily now. I had such very dry slin before.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 2:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lucky that you found that out so young!!! I'm just getting started in my 30s!! It's so encouraging to hear how much you enjoy it. I've always loved the law, it's kind of strange that it's taken me this long to figure out what to do with it!! Wink

Lynn

bwick18

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 3:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on 1 month!!!!! Since i quit i have times when my skin is like a teenagers again!! I am currently trying new stuff for cleansers to see what works for me now. My skin was so dry when I smoked now oily.

Barb
After the rain comes the rainbow- I will get my rainbow back
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2004 11:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the one month! My skin still looks the same OLD
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 24, 2004 2:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had some problems with my skin breaking out when I first Quit. Someone recommended those exfoliating/cleansing cloths. I picked up a package of those and that has cleared up the problem. My breakouts were around my chin and jawline and I realized this is where I placed my thumb when I smoked. How odd is that?

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
bake10

Quit Date:
October 20, 2004

PostPosted: September 24, 2004 7:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a problem with my skin. My skin actually started to glow.
I did gain weight, started working out and lost it. I have always been thin , and it also freaked me out. I work out every day to keep my weight down and to stay healthy after my quit, It is all worth the freedom of the cigarette. Keep going , good job.. Cool Jeri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: