quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another book for quitters....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2004 1:35 PM    Post subject: Another book for quitters.... Reply with quote

A co-worker who is also a quitter, shared a book with me titled "Mediations for Surviving without Cigarettes" by Esther Wanning. Published by Avon Books in 1994. It has a thought for each of the 365 days in the year - today is day 109 for me - so here is the Day 109 meditation:
"At age 83 Sigmund Freud died of cancer after 45 years of unsuccessfully trying to give up smoking cigars. "His advanced age at death might give hope to smokers were it not for the agony of the last 21 years of his life, spent undergoing operations for cancer of the palate and jaw. By the age of 79, according to one account: "His jaw had been entirely removed and an artificial jaw substituted; he was in almost contant pain; often he could not chew or swallow. Yet at the age of 81 he was still smoking an endless series of cigars."
Living long and miserably is almost as great a threat to the smoker as dying young. Age has its price for healthy people, and the price is higher for old smokers. They are the ones whose lives are most likely to be narrowed by long lists of debilities. Many stroke victims, alive but paralyzed and speechless, were once smokers."

Certainly gives you something to think about...Each day also has a quote or factoid of some sort... day 109 has:

The Brighter Side: Ten years after quitting smoking, the risk of getting cancer of the mouth or throat returns to that of a non-smoker.

I hate the thought of having to give the book back - I'll have to check out Amazon or Borders to see if I can get my own copy.

Thought I'd share when I saw Kay's post about books....I love to read - in fact I'm at the library now...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 2, 2004 2:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great book. I am making myself a note now for the next time I am in the book store. Thanks. Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2004 5:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Definately going to get that book.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2004 11:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mary Dude for the info on this book...it sounds like it just may jolt us when we need it.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: December 4, 2004 2:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say thank you, I love to read also, and this Book is one that I will add to my "Help me books" I know that I will have by my side, sounds great.....Thank you Mary...

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: