quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Snacks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auntieM

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 5, 2004 6:15 PM    Post subject: Snacks Reply with quote

When I quit smoking, I quit caffeine and sugar at the same time. I've lost 9 pounds in 6 days, 16 hours, and 1 minute.

Yummy snacks!

Sunflower seeds are a staple for me. High in protein and very salty.

Every weekend I make a veggie platter with my favorite honey mustard dip (I make it - pour honey and add favorite type of mustard until it's a pretty color and texture). You can use any dressing you want as a dip. I put it in the fridge and always have a 'sweet', tasty snack when I need one. It's very low cal too. Honey is high in calories but it is a natural sweetner that has other qualities to assist your bodies ability to heal itself - at least that's what I've heard. The hardest part? All the other people in the house gobble it up by Wednesday!!!!

Fruit Salad is another good one that keeps well. Chop up a bunch of different kinds of fruit - strawberries, apples, pears, peaches, whatever you like. Use yogurt (your favorite flavor) to mix them all together. Very healthy snack that is also calcium rich. The more you make the more left overs you have in a bowl in the frig. Again, you make it on the weekend and it's there any time you go to the frig - you can also carry 'helpings' to work with you!

Meat and Cheese Platters. Fix a platter with meats and cheeses and add it to the platter selection in the frig. Make sure all the meats and cheeses are cut down to the size of the crackers you'll put them on (I use Melba toast). Since I eat about 6 small meals a day, this allows me to have a 'sandwich' of sorts.

Hard Boiled Eggs. Surprising how satisfying these can be. Boil a dozen on the weekend so you'll have one when you want one.

The best part? It's really easy to pack a lunch every day that is healthy, satisfying, and designed to keep the pounds off.

A great meal - Take a slab of Salmon, slice up a pineapple (or get sliced pineapples in a can) and lay pineapple under and above Salmon. Chop up a bunch of veggies (include a potato). Make sure all the pieces are fairly small. Sprinkle a little dill on. Squeeze a lemon over the works or slice lemon and leave in tin foil. Wrap whole thing up in tin foil (try to get an air tight seal). Cook it at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes - it smells REALLY good when it's close to done. Leftovers aren't good. Make sure to eat it all at one sitting.

Hope these help.

Em
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 5, 2004 6:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sound great Em. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2004 10:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, now this is making me hungry....thanks for sharing these are very healthy and tasty receipes. Uh, those 9 lbs, I think I found them Crying or Very sad
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 6:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auntie Em, when ya coming over to my house to cook for me? I have very poor eating habits. And to think 30 years ago, I was a health nut! Never let my kids have sugar when they were babies. Then all of a sudden things changed, kids got cookies, I drank soda, WHat happened? Shocked

Well its been 2 months of freedom for me and your post was very inspiring.
I really think I should give up my soda. Crying or Very sad But really its only one a day. Is that really bad? SOmeone out there tell me its okay to have that one soda.

Keep posting auntie em, love to hear from you.

God Bless your freedom!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
auntieM

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 4:26 PM    Post subject: Healthy Eating Habits Reply with quote

Londa,

Cook? Who cooks? All this stuff is cold and easy to grab in the frig - the ultimate fast food. If I cook it's really easy - chop stuff up and put it in tin foil kind of thing. I hate cooking.

I'm not going to be the one to tell it's okay to have that one soda. The carbonation robs your blood stream of oxygen. It creates a positive environment for cancer (cancer cells only grow in cells that have an oxygenation level of 66% or less). Soda also creates false cravings for sugars and carbohydrates. That one soda also has kelating agents in it (meaning it assists the additives within the soda to stick to your teeth). The caffeine also causes you to sleep longer than your body needs to and causes lethargy as soon as the caffeine rush is over.

I think when we have kids we're deprived of time to ourselves and a lot of things we want are set aside for the kids needs. It feels good to satisfy the kids - so good that when they start begging for junk food and soda, it's a joy you can share with your kids. So changing your habits means saying 'no' after saying 'yes' for so long. Very very difficult. So in addition to your own cravings, you're dealing with the kids cravings and the feeling that you've become a bad mom.

This is like WAY more information than you ever wanted isn't it.

How about cheers! instead? <blush>

Em

There are days when you have to be Wonder Woman. Then there are days when you fake it until you make it.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 5:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not going to be the one to tell it's okay to have that one soda. The carbonation robs your blood stream of oxygen. It creates a positive environment for cancer (cancer cells only grow in cells that have an oxygenation level of 66% or less). Soda also creates false cravings for sugars and carbohydrates. That one soda also has kelating agents in it (meaning it assists the additives within the soda to stick to your teeth). The caffeine also causes you to sleep longer than your body needs to and causes lethargy as soon as the caffeine rush is over.

I think when we have kids we're deprived of time to ourselves and a lot of things we want are set aside for the kids needs. It feels good to satisfy the kids - so good that when they start begging for junk food and soda, it's a joy you can share with your kids. So changing your habits means saying 'no' after saying 'yes' for so long. Very very difficult. So in addition to your own cravings, you're dealing with the kids cravings and the feeling that you've become a bad mom.

Wow! I had know idea! I am definately going to try to quit! Thanks for the information. I may not like it, but sometimes we need to hear the truth whether we like it or not!

I'll let you know how I'm doing!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 5:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried putting your text in quote, but I did something wrong.

Embarassed

Love, Londa

londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 5:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh one more thing! I love dark chocolate hershey kisses!
Their good antioxidants, RIGHT? Wink

Love, Londa

auntieM

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 10:15 PM    Post subject: Chocolate??? Reply with quote

Londa,

I miss chocolate. A lot. (I gave up sugar too). I used to believe chocolate was a major food group. It has anti-oxidants, prevents depression, aids in depression recovery, has milk in it - it's the PERFECT food group. Darn sugar! I found 'fake' chocolate that tasted awesome (no sugar in it), but it gives you the shizzling drits if you have more than two pieces. Humph - TWO PIECES??? That's not even a mouthful!!!!!

Yes. My name is Em and I'm a recovering chocoholic.

Em

There are days when you have to be Wonder Woman. Then there are days when you fake it until you make it.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 7, 2004 7:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness girl! YOu've given up chocolate, sugar, cigarettes....
I give you credit! You must feel real good.

God Bless YOu!

Love, Londa

Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 8, 2004 12:04 AM    Post subject: Re: Healthy Eating Habits Reply with quote

auntieM wrote:

Em

WOWOW soda drinking is bad!! Its totally confirmed hehe. I was never allowed soda growing up and now I see why lol.

My favorite snack is seared tuna over mixed greens and baby spinach with avacados and mango, with a mango vinagrette. YUM!! Also fresh tomatoes cut up with crumbled feta cheese, toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt pepper and put it in a nice warm toasty pita...so good!

Follow Your Bliss
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 8, 2004 3:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariko, if you would be so kind as to post the snacktime schedule I would be more than happy to stop by! I like the way you eat! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 8, 2004 3:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms.Tonya you can stop by for snack time anytime Laughing .

We have a lunch-date for Central Market and Stock Yards one day hehehe!

Laughing

Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Gentle Breeze

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 8, 2004 10:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too and bring vegetables too before they freeze or get covered with volcano ash.

Gentle Breeze

Many years and some days healing and happy - by choice
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 9, 2004 9:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Gentle Breeze, will bring the veggies!! Laughing

Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: