quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oh, What a Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2004 11:14 AM    Post subject: Oh, What a Day Reply with quote

As I'm sure everyone's aware by now, this years' flu shots are extremely scarce. In our area, they're being given only to those who are considered to be "high risk;" children under 2 years, child care givers, health care givers, people with heart or lung problems, diebetics, and senior citizens. The problem is that most doctors have no vaccine so it's being given by The Visiting Nurses Association at community centers, super markets, etc.

They take no appointments; just publish a listing of sites and the times the shots will be adminstered. What a pain!

Hearing about all the problems this short supply has been causing, my husband and I decided to "bite the bullet" and stand in line. We arrived at a nearby super market yesterday morning at 3:30 A.M. There were already 7 people waiting and the injections were scheduled to begin at 10:00. One man had arrived at 1:30 a.m.

It was extremely cold -- temperature was 35. We, like most everyone else, had taken lawn chairs and were dressed warmly. It was still frigid. Actually, at 67 and 71, we were probably the youngest people there.

After waiting for almost 7 hours, we finally received the flu shots. As we left, we saw just how long the line was -- well over 400 people. There were to be only 220 injections given. The rest of these people will have to wait in yet another line on another day.

The irony of this story is that, about 2 hours after returning home, we received a call from our doctors' office. They had gotten a small amount of vaccine and we were "qualified" to receive injections. Hopefully someone more in need will be able to take our places and get a flu shot in the comfort of the doctor's office.

This probably should have been posted in "rants." Kevin, you're welcome to move it if you so desire.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo

Last edited by kannprint on October 16, 2004 2:54 PM; edited 1 time in total
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2004 2:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is horrible to make older people stand in line like that. My mother in law who is 87 waited all afternoon at a supermarket. Some gentleman was kind enough to find her a chair and kept moving her forward.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 16, 2004 7:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo, I had an appointment for mine, but it was cancelled and now only "at risk" persons may have one. Why can't this country make enough flu vaccine for those who want one? This is getting really crazy Exclamation

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 16, 2004 8:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like your attitude, Jo:

you wrote:
Hopefully someone more in need will be able to take our places and get a flu shot in the comfort of the doctor's office.

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2004 8:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tonya,

I agree. This really is getting crazy. From what I've been able to find out, the pharmaceutical companies in the US are reluctant to make flu vaccine for fear of law suits if anyone were to have a reaction. I'm sure there are more complex reasons as well. I've also read that there should be more vaccine in December as it takes 3 months to grow the bacteria (or whatever) in the serum.

Whatever the reason, I just pray we don't have a bad flu season this year.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 18, 2004 9:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we don't have a bad flu season!! I got the flu last year and it was horrible. I was in bed for over a week, sick on christmas!! I was in bed for so long when i was better and started walking again i would get so tired and my legs felt like jello!! Being sick stinks, your lucky you got the shot even though you had to wait in line. Its better to be safe Smile.

hugs
Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: