quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

another update on my fitness program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 18, 2004 9:21 PM    Post subject: another update on my fitness program Reply with quote

back at the beginning of august i started a fitness program (it's called "The Marine Corps 3X Fitness Program" - look for my original post in this forum if you're interested in details) and "weighed in" with my less-than-stellar results six weeks ago.

back then, i reported that i weighed 193 pounds and that my body fat percentage was 24.6% (which was a net gain of 4 pounds and nearly a point from where i'd started in august). on the other hand, i was pleased to report that i'd nearly doubled my performance on all of the exercises in the calisthenics part of the program.

this morning, i once again weighed in at 193 (so i've held the line there), but have dropped back to 23.8% body fat (which is actually where i started back in august). once again, there's been a marked increase in my performance on all exercises; i've moved up at least one resistance level on each (2 levels on pushups), and am getting numbers of reps that are very close to what i was getting back then (in fact, i got out one more rep of the level 4 triceps dip today than i got at level 3 six weeks ago).

so, all in all, i'm still making progress, but i also - once again - failed to meet the goals i set for myself last time: i said that my goals were to reduce my body fat percentage to 21% or less and to double my score on the fitness test by today, but i didn't get there. reviewing my workout log, one reason is clear:

according to the program, you should do at least three (3) one-hour workouts every week; in the first 6 weeks, i only averaged 1.5 workouts a week (9 total in six weeks). over the past 6 weeks, i didn't get any more consistent, as i only got in 9 workouts - total - again.

another thing that i'm sure has been contributing to my lack of progress (especially in bringing my percentage of body fat down) is my diet: i've been eating irregularly, and when i do eat, i've been eating too much junk food. that has now stopped. i went grocery shopping for the first time in a very long time last week, and have started cooking for myself again.

bottom line is i'm resetting my goals (to reduce my body fat percentage to 21% or less and to double my score on the fitness test in the next 6 weeks), renewing my commitment to actually doing three workouts a week, and eating more sensibly.

my next weigh-in will be at the end of november. see you then!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 18, 2004 9:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah man, and you can cook too???? Best of luck reaching your goals. I must start a program soon or start buying maternity clothes !
Laughing Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 19, 2004 8:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. Your honest posts have helped me when I get frustrated with my own performance (or non-performance in my case! Crying or Very sad ).

Three cheers for the cooking ~ do you have a crockpot? That's the best "on the go" way to cook ever invented! Cool

Looking forward to November's "report"! Smile

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 19, 2004 11:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sounds like you are doing good. Its good that you see the areas in which you can change to build up your performance and self expectations.

I am happy to hear you went food shopping again. I think its a wonderful thing to go food shopping and cook for yourself. Cooking to me is like an art, and very rewarding experience. Its another way of self expression Smile.

Heres a recipe that i just did the other day! Its really good!!!

Maybe you can try Wink

Chicken Breasts with Spicy Peach Glaze .

Spicy Peach Glaze:
1 cup peach preserves or jam you can use more if you want, i just used 1 cup
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic , i definitely used more garlic, i love it!
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce, i sorta eyeballed it and used maybe 3
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard , i probably used 1.5 tblspns
1 small jalapeno, finely chopped , use the seeds if you want extra heat
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Chicken breasts, you can use up to 8 i just made 3 last night, with skin or without, again its up to you

Save some of this sauce and put to side

beat up the chicken with a fork. Get nice little piercings in the chicken so the sauce can marinade the chicken nicely.

Place the chicken in a bowl with the spicy peach sauce and marinade!

You either grill these or fry them in a pan.

I fried them in a pan, turning them a few times.

Then I plated the chicken and put some of the extra sauce on top of the chicken. served some rice on the side and also a mixed salad with balsamic vinagrette! YUM

Follow Your Bliss
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 19, 2004 12:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kevin,

You're to be commended on your perserverance. That's really a tough program you put yourself on.

I've been working on lowering my cholesterol and my weight since mid-August. Don't know how the cholesterol is doing but the weight is down some. The irony is that my husband, who doesn't need to lose weight, has dropped about 10 pounds. There's just no justice. Confused

Keep it going, Kevin. You make the rest of us want to stick to our plans too.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 19, 2004 4:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing with us Kevin,

Keep working toward those goals and you'll get there. It takes time and effort to form good habits, just as it has taken time and effort to break bad ones. I'm not crazy about grocery shopping but it beats the hell out of quitting smoking!

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 20, 2004 3:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, you sound like a man with a good plan! You are very well disciplined. I know you will meet your goals!

Me, I'm still in the "pop the m&m peanuts in the mouth" phase! Embarassed
No wonder I don;t loose weight Shocked

Embarrassed to admit!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 20, 2004 3:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mariko, gonna try your recipe! Sounds delicious!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
zenpop

Quit Date:
August 6, 2004

PostPosted: October 27, 2004 9:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin

I just saw this post of yours, as I haven't checked into the site until this evening.

Congrats to you on your program and commitment.

I know it's the fad nowadays to talk about carbs, but I've gotta say that altering my carb intake was the key for me to lose the weight (read: gut) that I wanted to lose in my new commitment to health, post quitting sm_king.

In tandem with doing the gym four to five times a week I followed a friend of mine's advice re: carbs. NONE after 4PM in the late afternoon. This meant dinner was a nice bit of protein, with a small salad, and that was it. For a treat I might have some almonds (unsalted) and raisins, stuff like that. Throughout the day, too, I cut carbs waaaaaay down, which for me meant no more muffins and cookies and bagles and cake snacks. That was hard, especially as I'd stopped cigs....but I did it and lost my stomach after two months. I just bought several pairs of 32 inch pants the other day, while out shopping, a felt GREAT about that. Yaw HOO!

I also went from eating two or three meals a day, to six small meals, that really helped too, as it cut back on overeating.

Keep going with your goal! Best to you.

Frederick

"Time spent laughing is time spent with the gods."
--Japanese proverb
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 28, 2004 11:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

32-inch pants? i'm jealous! Laughing

seriously, though - thanks for the tips, Frederick; good to see you!

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: October 30, 2004 3:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing wonderful Kevin...I have worked out a workout plan too, but fighting to keep doing it everyday plus watch the food I eat.

You're an inspiration. Thank you...I'm going to reset my goals and get serious about this.

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: