quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Been in a rut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry

Quit Date:
February 11, 2004

PostPosted: October 25, 2004 12:09 AM    Post subject: Been in a rut Reply with quote

I've been quit for 8 months now, and I've been exercising off and on, dieting off and on, and I've had varying fluctuations in how I feel.

Usually I feel great! Good energy levels, overall healthy, and glad I'm not smoking. Tons better than last year this time, for certain.

Other times I feel really down in the dumps, no energy, and having some strong nic fits.

I think this all is directly tied to my inability to really stick to a workout program. My weight won't come down due to that, my diet is erratic, my energy levels gotta follow, right? I started taking multi-vitamins this weekend and will start a consistent workout regiment this week. I hope it works out as I hoped it would. I was soooo encouraged in the first few months of my quit when I started working out again and felt HUGE boosts in energy levels. Kinda depressing now that I see some of that sliding away for some reason.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or have experienced similar things? Is it normal for some of these changes to happen around the 8 month mark? I know I had the normal bouts of the blues in the second and third months. I havn't seen much info on life beyond that. I suppose that's because most quits don't last this long. Kinda nice, thinking of it that way.

Thanks folks, in advance.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 25, 2004 3:45 AM    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Terry,

I wish I could help you. Sandy Z told me in a PM that with her quit things seemed to level out at 9 months. Of course I know everyone is different. And WTG on your long running quit. That is quite a lot of work in itself, isn't it?

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 25, 2004 8:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you're putting too much pressure on yourself - quitting, dieting, getting fit - wowser!
It's all important, but don't forget to relax and enjoy life too. you've quit smoking so that's great.

Enjoy yourself...all the rest can happen gradually over time. The most important thing for today is to keep your quit adn to enjoy life - it really is too short! Laughing
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 25, 2004 11:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the 9 month mark ~ but I have been going through a lot of changes since I quit. When I get down, I remind myself how hard and scarey change is. Your "rut" could be related to facing all the changes. I hope that made sense! Wink

Congrats on doing so well in your quit! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Terry

Quit Date:
February 11, 2004

PostPosted: October 25, 2004 5:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses everyone, but I just don't feel like we're getting to the point of it. So hard to explain.

I feel no real pressure in quitting anymore, nor is it really work. Most of my friends smoke, so I am around it all the time, and I nearly never even think of it. I'm proud as hell of my quit, don't get me wrong. I'm just lucky enough for it to have become reasonably low maintenance at this point.

I'll just keep at it and see how it goes Smile
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 25, 2004 10:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess would be diet, more than anything, although the inconsistent workout routine could be contributing to that (generally, when we're working out regularly, we tend to eat more regularly) - you say your diet is 'erratic'; a lot of issues revolve around maintaining a relatively stable blood sugar level - i'd suggest getting some books on nutrition (not 'diet' books) and find what works for you.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 26, 2004 10:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

First of all, congratulations on your 8 months quit. I'm not quite there --only at 6 1/2 months -- but I've had some of the feelings you're having. I think Kevin has the answer. We've become so accustomed to thinking full-time about our quits that we've put other things, like exercise and diet, aside. It's time now to resume living. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: