quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Six Body Benefits of Tea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 29, 2004 1:30 PM    Post subject: Six Body Benefits of Tea Reply with quote

Six Body Benefits of Tea

How teatime keeps you healthy.

by Holly St. Lifer

Think tea is just a wad of dried leaves stuffed in small bags? A hot beverage to have with breakfast? Think again! Tea is actually much more than that, according to Mary Beth Augustine, R.D., an integrative-medicine nutritionist at the Beth Israel Continuum for Health and Healing in New York City. The word refers to any brew made from herbs, spices, seeds, bark, stems, flowers or leaves. According to ancient Chinese legend, the first cup of tea was produced in 2737 B.C., when the leaves of a black tea shrub haphazardly fell into the boiling water of Emperor Shen Nung, the father of Chinese medicine. Ever since, Asian monks and herbalists have used teas to treat various ailments, from the flu to complexion blemishes. Here, some ways tea can heal you:

Allergy eraser: Thyme tea can help soothe and heal allergy-addled sinuses. A natural antihistamine, thyme also has antiseptic properties to help purge infections. Brew a cup and breathe over it (you'll get a cleansing facial, too) — or simmer yourself in a thyme-infused bath.

Flu fighter: Do you turn to echinacea or goldenseal the moment you feel a cold coming on? "Most people don't know you have to cycle off echinacea or you'll build up a resistance to it. And goldenseal is too potent for long-term use," says Victoria Zak, author of "20,000 Secrets of Tea." Next time, consider a tea of Pau d'arco, aka "the divine bark," an herb with immunity-building properties, which can be purchased at most health food stores and ingested daily. It is antibiotic, antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial, and it's packed with iron, calcium, selenium, zinc, and C and B-complex vitamins.

Tummy tamer: Instead of popping Tums, brew some spicy tea to soothe digestive ailments. Ginger, known as "the hot root," warms you from head to toe and stimulates digestion-aiding enzymes. It also cures both morning and motion sicknesses. And look no further than your spice rack for relief from menstrual cramps, gas and heartburn: "Fennel, anise, coriander and cardamom all have antispasmodic properties and help create movement in the intestines," says Augustine, who suggests you add these herbs to your cup o' tea.

Beauty brew: Tea made from rose hips is the ultimate age-defying and skin-hydrating brew, thanks to nutrients such as longevity-promoting vitamin K and free-radical-damage-fixing bioflavonoids and citrics. Shiny horsetail grass is one of the richest sources of silica, an essential element in tissue repair. Revive lackluster hair, skin and nails by drinking tea prepared from this prehistoric plant. Make it work double duty by placing warm tea bags on your eyes to reduce puffiness. If your hair is dull from product buildup, try a rosemary tea rinse. Rosemary cleans hair follicles and promotes hair growth, says Zak. Use once a week for thick, super-clean hair and scalp.

Disease beater: In recent years, scientists have been lauding the cancer-fighting abilities of the powerful antioxidant polyphenols found in black and green teas. "These teas contain properties that not only protect the cells from carcinogens, they also shrink tumors," explains Paul Lechance, Ph.D., executive director of the Neutraceutical Institute at Rutgers University. "While we can't say you'll never get cancer if you drink tea, you are certainly doing yourself some good by drinking it." What's more: A study from the University of North Carolina concluded that people who drink three cups of tea a day reduce their risk of heart attack by 11%.

Hunger helper: If you're looking for an afternoon energy boost without all the fat of chocolate and the calories of soda, Augustine favors oatstraw tea. In addition to its high-fiber content that leaves you feeling full, this potion provides high nutritional value (vitamins A, D, B1 and B2, calcium, iron and selenium) and can boost immunity and energy. Augustine also recommends bitter herb teas such as chicory and dandelion as natural appetite suppressants.

Follow Your Bliss
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 29, 2004 3:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are one awesome young lady. I love reading all your posts. We learn so much from what you post. I plan on going out and buying some tea.

Have a wonderful weekend. Very Happy

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 29, 2004 8:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mariko, I love tea. I start every day with a cup of Chai. Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 29, 2004 8:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariko,
Londa is right you are a very informative young lady. I am so proud to have you part of my quit.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2004 9:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everyone who is still looking at quiting reads this and considers making tea part of their quit!

Thank you for posting this ~ I'm going to make a huge "batch" of green tea today in honor of you, Mariko! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: