quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One more thing - Asthma...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 11, 2004 10:57 AM    Post subject: One more thing - Asthma... Reply with quote

Hello again:

I know, I'm just bouncing off the walls this morning...need to put this energy to some good thesis work! Smile

I also wanted to post what I've learned regarding my breathing over the last two weeks, in the event that it may help someone else.

I had asthma as a kid. Was on inhalers, got weekly shots, took antihistimines for the allergies...etc...
I seemed to 'outgrow' it when I was in junior high/high school. Just in time to take up smoking when I was 17! (sorry, a little sarcasm at my stupidity there).

I now realize that I never really 'outgrew' it, it just wasn't as bad or as chronic maybe? Perhaps my teen years and twenties were just the peak years of my health. But anyway, whenever I would get sick, the illness would always end up in my chest and I would have problems breathing. Lots of sinus infections, chest infections, etc...Some of you may be able to relate.

I've invested alot of $ in Drixoral, and when that quit working for me, I got Clairitn and have been investing alot into that, but alas that doesn't completely work as well.

I think I was in denial that my asthma was still there. I didn't want to deal with it, didn't want it to be true. But over these last 3 months, I KNOW that doing some type of aerobic exercise helps me mentally deal with the emotional issue of becoming smokefree and creating a new nonsmoker identity. However, I have been really struggling with the breathing.

I love to ride my bike around a lake near my house, but have to make sure I take my Claritin before I leave the house, otherwise I am just asking for a difficult ride. Oh, I can do it...it just isn't nearly as much fun if I'm wheezing and struggling to breath. I think at first I was hoping that with practice and more regular aerobic exercise, I would increase my lung strength and power, which I still believe to be true, but I think I've accepted that I need to do more than just that.

Running is even worse. I'm not sure why, but I can't run very far or very long without gasping for breath.

So I finally went to the doctor on Monday. It was really windy here on Friday night, we had our windows open and I had one heck of an attack that evening. I realized then that I had to do something.

He gave me some samples of Singulair to try and an Albuterol inhaler for emergencies. This has really changed my life! And I've only been on the Singulair for 3 days. I'm sorry I was so stubborn and afraid because I was able to exercise, ward off the wheezing and struggling, and it was actually much more fun than ever!

I'm not one to advocate being on meds, and I certainly don't like the thought of having to take something the rest of my life, but I suppose I have to concede that sometimes these meds really do help. (feel free to say, DUH! Wink) I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a 'granola' when it comes to taking any type of medication. Would much rather go the 'natural' route. But I have yet to find some herb that helps. So, there's my story. Smile

I'll quit rambling now! Wink
Kris
Three months, three days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 21 seconds. 1906 cigarettes not smoked, saving $381.56. Life saved: 6 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: November 11, 2004 3:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris, happy to hear you can breath again! Very Happy

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: November 11, 2004 7:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kris,

Boy, do I ever know what you're talking about. I discovered, last March, that I have asthma. What a complete surprise as I'd never had it before and I'm 68. I thought that "tired, run down" feeling was just part of the aging process and I accepted it. However, after about 2 weeks of my inhalers, I felt like a brand new person so I know how you're feeling. Isn't it amazing what a great big breath of oxygen can do? So happy you went to the doc and got the help you need.

Look out world, here comes Kris!! Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: November 11, 2004 9:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris,
I am so glad you will be able to enjoy all your activites now that you have the meds. My doctor put me on Spiriva before I quit smoking and has kept me on it...I forget it alot but the days I take it I can definitely tell a difference.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: