quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Here goes....For real this time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 8:36 PM    Post subject: Here goes....For real this time Reply with quote

I have been dealing with some serious weight issues since my quit. I have gained a substantial amount of weight....partly due to thyroid problems that went virtually undiagnosed til a few months ago. But then again, partly due to me not watching what I eat and exercising properly. Well, I'm starting a diet and exercise plan so I can hopefully be back into shape by spring. I think me gaining weight has been an issue with me being so down and irritable lately. I just need to get off my butt and really do this!!! I've been telling myself this for so long and it just has to happen. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be taking my state test to obtain my Real Estate license. I've been working my butt off to get this done and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I want to look good in dress clothes for work Laughing
I know it won't be easy, as I am a person who totally craves sweets. But I've been thinking that being thinner is looking a lot better than chocolate cake Laughing I have had that program called 'Slim in 6' since spring time and haven't ever stuck with it, so now I am going to.....So, by next week I'll be on my way to shedding some pounds and losing some inches!
Anyone with me?????? Wink
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 8:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo with you Mindy. I really need to better focus on Weight Watchers. I was at a party on Friday and my friend asked me if I wanted to go out and have a smoke. Funny, I never told anyone I quit and no one noticed. When I told her I quit in May she was stunned as was everyone else sitting around me. A friend said that I must be feeling pretty physically good by now and I told her that actually - I wasn't. I'm so uncomfortable with my weight that I'm not even enjoying breathing freer. It is time to get with the program. There's no turning back at this point. I'm committed to non-smoking and I want to enjoy being thinner again. We can do this. Kerry
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 8:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry,
I wish I could go to the WW meetings.....but with the kids it's so hard to find someone to watch them. I've thought of going and buying the materials and doing it on my own...Would you suggest that?? I'm trying a diet plan recommended by a friend. She sent me some sample menus to eat from and I'm going to give it a shot! I'd love to do a 2 day fast to jumpstart my weight loss but don't know if I could handle that.......
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 8:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW is available online. I've never used it, but I have several co-workers who have been very successful with it. http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 8:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Yvonne is doing WW online and says it worked great for her. I also knew someone who did WW on her own and lost 90 pounds. I think it will depend on how diciplined you are. I have found out that I am not. I tried doing it on my own and gave myself too many passes. Remember too, that you don't have to attend meetings. You can just weigh in if you need the accountability. In that case, you can bring your kids with. Actually, you can bring you kids to the meetings too if they're old enough to sit quietly. (mine would NEVER sit still in a meeting Embarassed ) WW also has an online support group like Woofmang. Kerry
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 9:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to join the group also. Like you, Mindy, I've gained a considerable amount of weight and would like to get rid of at least half of them. Seems like no matter what I eat, the pounds stay right where they are. However, I think I'll wait until January 1. I'll just defeat myself by trying to diet over the holidays.

Good luck with the ##### problem all. I'll join you later.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 11:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to join the group.......I look like a beach ball with legs and white hair. Rolling Eyes In fact my daughter brought over a BIG Ball for me to excersise on....Oh my, I was rolling all over the place......

I am glad to hear that WW is on line, I want to give it a try.......Thanks

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 12:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy and All,

Good luck and determination on your diets. Mindy, just one point....please do not do a quick 2 day fast. It will actually defeat your purpose. The body will throw itself into starvation mode and retain any and all food comsumed into fat. It's better to eat small portions evenly throughout the day. The body is satisified that you're not starving, and energy is maintained properly. Also, heard grapefruit helps to burn fat. Either the fruit or it's juice. Personally, need to shed a few pounds, but too soon in the quit. I'll just monitor what I eat for now. Good luck all of you!!!!

Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 12:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then, let's all use this forum for which it was intended!!! A support group within a support group Laughing Maybe if we all talk about dieting for awhile it will keep our mind off of the smokes!!!! Kerry
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 12:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am another one who has put on some pounds...some I needed and like and some I hate....my problem is the amount I eat and not taking the time for me to exercise...hopefully this will change after the first of the year.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 10:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you all on the weight issue. I have been working out at home with DVDs - yoga, pilates, lifestyle fitness (XBox) and haven't lost one pound. I know this is because I have not changed my eating habit at all. I still overeat and eat more of the fattening stuff than the lower calorie stuff (like fruits, veggies, legumes). (I also expect too much too soon sometimes - Embarassed I am a little impatient Wink )

I've done the South Beach Diet before and didn't stick to it. I did make it through the phase I (first two weeks) then just kind of went back to my old habits. Partly because I quit smoking shortly afterwards and was more concerned about keeping the quit than worrying about the weight at that time.

Anyway...(I seem to be rambling this morning Embarassed I will move on...) I have decided to take some smaller steps in my weight loss goals. I am continuing with the working out...what I'm doing for the next two weeks is follow the Phase I SBD for breakfast. I thought, maybe I could get used to changing my breakfast habits, get to know what portion sizes are, experiment with different food items to help me stay feeling full, etc...

So, I guess I took a really long way around to - I'm with ya! Wink
Kris
Four months, six days, 7 hours, 30 minutes and 52 seconds. 2566 cigarettes not smoked, saving $513.42. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 21 hours, 50 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 10:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok girls I'd advise that after xmas you follow this simple plan and it works it can't fail. All we do is get the fat out of the diet one day at a time. Nothing packaged all natural. Free foods are fruits-vegetables-low fat cereals the ones without the sugars-pickles-mustard-ketchup-relishes-b-bque sauce as well as meatless chili. No more than 4 ounces and I mean 4 of any lean meat. No other fat needed nor wanted in your diet unless it is a smidge of 1% in coffee or tea. The reason I like this diet is you don't have to limit booze as it is a carb not a fat. Just watch what you are mixing in it no eggnog of course. Noodles and rice are allowed but be sensible 2 cups of pasta at a sitting is enough just remember the sauce doesn't get meat. My sauce recipe is as follows and I use it as my chili base as well.
Cut up 2 onions
dice up garlic to taste
cut up 2 cups mushrooms
cut up a cup of celery
1 green pepper diced
1 red pepper diced
1 medium sweet potatoes grated
1 cup oxo beef cube in water

Simmer all this till soft except the peppers toss them in after you add your sauce so they aren't mushy.

In the summer I make my own sauce with tomatoes but this time of year I use the canned as long as they don't have meat.

2 tins of sauce
1 tin tomato paste
Add spices to taste

I use
Chili peppers 4 dried whole
sweet basil
2 bay leaves
oregano
rosemary

It's tasty and very low fat.

Sorry but no cheeses they are high fat unless you can use the no fat cheese which is pretty rubbery but hey to each his own.

This sauce is good on egg plant
meatless chili
meatless lasagna
Any meatless pasta dishes
Come on lets all put together some healthy recipe's and if you spend time which real cooking takes you will find ways to be very inventive.
Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 11:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do ww online. i like it, i've lost about 13 pounds. it has taken me forever, but this is the first time, i've ever lost weight and not smoked at the same time. i don't want to put too much pressure on me. so slow and steady.

i started going to the meetings in sept. by the middle of nov i went totally on line. i understand the plan, and it was taking a night away from going to the gym.

i decided that since i quit smoking with the help of on-line buddies i could do the same with eating. besides that its all about choice, it ticks me off, but it is. i have to choose to be fat or thin, eat or don't.

lady step away from the cake!

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 1:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy, I'll join you. For everyone else interested, can we plan a way to report to and support each other? For instance, maybe every Monday we can post how we did the previous week? Not necessarily how many pounds we lost, but whether we stuck to it, new recipes or exercise ideas, how our exercise plan is coming, what we need help with? Any ideas?

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: December 14, 2004 2:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla, excellent idea. Monday's would be great. As far as the diet goes, as long as you eat less and burn more thru excercise, it doesn't matter whether it's low fat or not. The key is to always feel full and that's where fiber comes in. About a year and a half ago I lost 52 pounds and really ate what I wanted but I was working out like crazy. Eating healthy is very important however for overall health, but I don't get too rigid on low fat and forget the low carb stuff. Our bodies use carbs as fuel. As long as you eat healthy, treat youself from time to time and work out, you should be in great shape. Dr. Phil's book is really good too. I've used it in conjunction with WW. One thing I have noticed is that when I eat very healthy I don't crave cigarettes as much. Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: