quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

my gosh i want to smoke!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 12:11 PM    Post subject: my gosh i want to smoke! Reply with quote

i won't but i want to. why, i have no clue, no particular trigger, just the last 12 hours or so. why, almost 10 months and still it haunts me. i don't actually want a cigarette they're disgusting! i guess i just want the idea of a cigarette. i want something that will stop me from eating the next bite, i want my old life back. why do i feel like i sit on the couch and do nothing, why was sitting on the couch with a cigarette better. i'm tired of chewing gum the teeth on the left side of my mouth are sore. what do the never smokers do. is my mouth just in the habit of being busy? did this need come from smoking, or was i this way before and smoking filled this need. i keep thinking maybe i need a pacifier! is there something about my personality that led me to become addicted to start with?

this morning i listened to my sister's marital woes and i wished they were mine so i could just go back to smoking. i can't even stand the smell anymore, why won't this leave me alone.

maybe since i put it into words it will leave me alone now. Mad

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 12:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This addiction thing is crazy, ain't it? Smile

You'll be OK, Wanda. I know you ain't gonna do anything foolish.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 12:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanda, first of all BRAVO for coming here first and not smoking. I know from experience that you would feel so much worse had you done that.

I don't know wha causes us to become addicted. Are we predisposed? I'm sure there is some study that would say yes. I think more likely in our cases we spent so much of our life smoking that it may always be there. We may always at least MENTALLY turn to what we remember cigs doing for us when anything comes up that bothers us.

Like you said though, we don't have to act on it, and you haven't. Maybe it's time to get off the couch? Maybe it's time to pick one new thing that you've always wanted to try? I just started making a latch-hook rug. Haven't made one since I was a KID. It's fun Wink And I never make thigns for myself, always for someone else.

Just an idea. If nothing I've said has helped, at least know that I'm pulling for you and so proud you turned to support instead of the demon.

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 1:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, Wanda. I too feel a need, but not for a cigarette...but for SOMETHING. I go around the house lately with these huge SIGHS. Like you, the thoughts of smoking, the smell, etc disgust me, so it's not that.

There is just a little something missing...that I can't identify. I'm not craving...it's more a wistful feeling.

Oh well. Rolling Eyes I've been filling those holes with food, but that's not the answer. I'm just bored...and I realize how much of my boredom time i used to fill by smoking. Lynn is right....we need to get a LIFE and do something!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 1:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Lynn said - try something new or something you haven't done for awhile or even something you never thought you would do in a million years...

1. Try spending some time in a Library, Barnes n Nobel, Borders, or other book store.
2. Take up knitting, crochet, latch hook, crosstitch, sewing, painting, drawing, scrapbooking...anything creative
3. Try volunteering for a nonprofit organization, the local elementary school, or a church.
4. Look for organizations in your area to join - book clubs, scrapbooking clubs, etc..
5. Take a non-credit or even a credit course at a local university or community college
6. Try a different physical activity - walking, swimming, yoga, anything that interests you.

What is it that gets you excited, or curious, or interested? What sparks something in you? Whatever it is, investigate it.

By not smoking we are in need of recreating ourselves in some ways...we need to find other things to do, better things to do, more fun things to do for ourselves in order to make the balance of not smoking worth it.

You can do this Wanda! Hang in there! Smile

Kris
Four months, four weeks, two days, 10 hours, 38 minutes and 22 seconds. 3048 cigarettes not smoked, saving $609.94. Life saved: 1 week, 3 days, 14 hours, 0 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 1:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanda,

You know it will not solve anything and my mother used to tell me one could never go back to the way things were because you change along the way. I think alot of times turmoil in our lives starts the Scowling Demon thinking...Post and read but stay away from posts that upset you...drink lots of water and know You are doing it so you CAN continue... Stay strong girl only two months to go to the big table...deep breath now! Know people care!!!!!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 1:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Spit! spew!
Out Laughing Demon Out!
Man Laughing Demon just loves to screw with our minds and make us think we are missing something. Kris has some great ideas!

I know how you feel though, been going through the same thing!

But we will conquer this. I've been thinking, maybe when I get this feeling again, that would be a perfect time to meditate. Read the Bible.

This site is wonderful, you find out your not alone when it comes to all of this stuff. And we can help each other!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 2:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am a sorry ass person trying to give advice with my frame of mind but please try not to think about feeding your addiction.

Quote:
is there something about my personality that led me to become addicted to start with?
I keep wondering the same thing. Is it me????

Are we born to be addicts or did it happen because we didn't know we were going to get addicted to smoking way back when.

I keep wondering who am I.

Maybe we could try and find some thing else to do...like pick on Tom. Very Happy He thinks either him or Melody is a "Lard Ass" He eats like a *** (not going to type it) and wonders why he hasn't lost weight.

There is humor in not smoking.

Will you try it with me?? Lets think of the humor for awhile. Very Happy

Smoking is not funny.

Keep ranting...don't give up and feed the addiction.

We'll make you go back to ALA and fight the boards starting all over again. Plus you will have to do ALL the assignments. NOT skipping even one. Wink

Hang in there, you are two months from the big table...I have duck tape and binding twine to keep you in the seat once you get here.

You are so in my thoughts...please don't smoke.

Sandyz
One year, two months, two weeks, one day, 4 hours, 4 minutes and 13 seconds. 19897 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,716.28. Life saved: 9 weeks, 6 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 2:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, you didn't do all the assignments? Shocked

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 3:15 PM    Post subject: Wanda Reply with quote

What to do what to do what to do?????????????????????? I'll start with the why you feel the need to sit on the couch are you stuck to it????? Laughing there are a million things to do so give us some idea of where your interest lies. I'm not going to suggest crafts if you think they suck(I'd rather die than do crafts myself) Laughing Laughing Laughing You could always just braid string for no purpose at all as that is what a cig pretty much did stuck in your mouth with no purpose. You just wouldn't believe where my mind has gone think I'll stop now Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Come on Tom and Kay you must have something more to add.

LARD ASS over and out Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 3:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep posting here when you have a tough time. You really can do this. I think we're all going to have these feelings from time to time. Any addict who says they don't is lying. What's important is that you don't give into these feelings. Maybe many of us are pre-disposed to smoking and other types of addictions, but its what we choose to do with that pre-disposition that counts. Kerry
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 4:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are studies ongoing that are investigating a gene that might be related to addiction. There really might be a genetic component - who knows?

But boredom fighters??? Jigsaw and crossword puzzles, journaling, and reading are all things I'd love to have more time for!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 6:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of heredity, did you guys know that they have found that diarhhea is hereditary?

Yep, it runs in the jeans.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 6:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can always count on you TOm! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 7, 2005 8:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanda,
Go outside and breathe in some fresh air! Take a walk.......tell those thoughts to get lost! I'll be thinking about you,

Hugs,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: