quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MONDAY - Weight Loss Check-In
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 17, 2005 12:12 PM    Post subject: MONDAY - Weight Loss Check-In Reply with quote

I'll begin this week. It isn't a pretty picture. Only 1 pound lost after keeping calories between 1200 and 1400/day and religiously working out on my good friend, the treadmill. God bless my hubby. He keeps telling me I look just fine and muscle weighs more than fat.

However, even though all the pounds are still with me, my jeans seem to be easier to button. Could it be that they're just stretching more? I prefer to believe that I'm "toning up."

Hope you all have had better results than I did. This week will be different.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
LadyHouck

Quit Date:
January 4, 2004

PostPosted: January 17, 2005 12:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can add 2 more pounds to my weight loss success this week for a grand total of 8 pounds! If only there was a healthy way to loose about 10 pounds a week! Wink That has always been my downfall with dieting. I am one of those instant gratification kind of gals. But I will have to take my 2 pounds and celebrate the small steps, just like when I quit smoking.

I worked out 5 days this week, drank gallons of water (which is supposed to speed up weight loss) and ate completely healthy and nutritious foods all week. No chocolate for me. Crying or Very sad I have determined that will be one of my rewards when I loose the first 20 pounds, something chocolate. Razz

My jeans are looser too, but I won't be completely content until they are falling off. I can get my belt down into the next lower holes now too. So I am making progress. SLOWLY! lol

Well that is it for me for the week. I better get going. School starts tomorrow and I have to get everything done today so I won't have to worry about much tomorrow. So if I am MIA, don't worry, I am just feeding my brain! lol

Hugs,
Tonya
1 year Free

Tonya
3+ years!

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Erma Bombeck
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 17, 2005 5:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing well I think I lost 1 pound! That's HUGE for me Smile

I increased my workouts to 3 - 45 minute sessions and 2 - 30 minute sessions. I also have switched my focus on weight loss instead of building strength, so I have more cardio during the week. I think I'll add yoga for 30-45 minutes on one of my days off.

I have been keeping track of my diet on fitday.com and it has really helped me see what it is that I have been eating and where I need improvements. There were a few days where I was discouraged, but I figured this is a process, just like the smoking...so I worked on my attitude! Wink

Kris
Five months, one week, two days, 15 hours, 25 minutes and 2 seconds. 2439 cigarettes not smoked, saving $488.05. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 11 hours, 15 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
dancing_lucinda

Quit Date:
January 14, 2005

PostPosted: January 18, 2005 1:00 AM    Post subject: May I? Reply with quote

Hi Ladies!

Okay, I'm only finishing up day 4 and have already gained weight! May I join in whatever you guys are doing? One huge benefit of quitting is my new found drive to exercise. I actually crave physical activity! Please catch me up on anything I need to know. Thanks! The support for quitting has helped.... hopefully this will, too.

Amy

Dance like no one is watching.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 18, 2005 12:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Amy,

There really is no prescribed program. We're each doing whatever seems to work best for us; diet, exercise, etc. Monday is our "tell the truth" day. You're more than welcome to join in this challenge. But, remember, your quit comes first. That's the most important way for you to get healthy right now.

Wishing you the best.

Jo
Braveheart

Quit Date:
January 2, 2004

PostPosted: January 18, 2005 3:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm really discouraged. I have been keeping calories at about 1400 to 1600 and working out 4 times a week for 2 weeks and I haven't lost a pound. I gained 14 pounds duriing my quit and I belong to a fitness center, so I have lots of choices. I think it is my age and the menopause keeping me from losiing.

I had a bad day with food today because I'm pissed (oops)!
I "relapsed" and ate pasta and cheese and a lot of fat. I've been following a diet similar to Phase 2 of south Beach, low carb but counting calories. It worked for me before I quit smoking, but so far NOTHING!! Mad

I weigh 160, just like last week and I'm aiming for 145. I'm starting back beginning with dinner.

Connie

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" (Eleanor Roosevelt)
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 18, 2005 4:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Connie,

I'm discouraged too, but going to keep working at it. Good luck to you.

Jo
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: January 18, 2005 7:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ladies, missed the Monday check in. I cannot let go of the sugar, and I only worked out twice last week, an hour and fifteen minutes on Friday and Saturday. No weight loss, but no weight gain either. One thing that helped me was keeping track of my measurements. Muscle really does weigh more than fat. Sometimes I would lose inches, but not weight. And I only weigh once a week. Weight varies from day to day. Hang in there. We can do this! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
dancing_lucinda

Quit Date:
January 14, 2005

PostPosted: January 19, 2005 9:43 AM    Post subject: Quitting First Reply with quote

Hi! I know I need to put my quit first, but I'm finding the accompanying weight gain to be counter-productive to the quit. I've thought to myself... I should just smoke until I lose this weight! Though I've never come close to actually having a cigarette, I worry that if I gain more weight I might. So I'm committing myself to 1200 calories/day and at least 30 minutes of cardio/day. I'll weight train 3 days/week and do a relaxing pilates workout 2 days/week. I know that by sticking to this, my quit will be less of a stress and more of a celebration. As a side note... I just got information on my 10 year high school class reunion. I've gained 28 pounds since then... all in the last year after I quit breast feeding my daughter. If that's not motivation, I don't know what is!

Thanks for letting me ramble-
Amy

Dance like no one is watching.
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 19, 2005 10:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Two Cents on this weight thing... Smile (I know, you're all just waiting in anticipation! Wink)

Educate, educate, educate....I cannot say that enough. Just when I thought I understood nutrition, exercise, calories, etc...I learned something new. Nutrition is a new science compared to others such as physics and chemistry...researchers are learning new things all the time. So it isn't an exact science and there is no cut and dry right or wrong answers to how it is done.

I also believe that each individual has to find what works for them. We are all unique and this includes how we gain/lose weight. Additionally, it takes time. We live in a society that expects and demands immediate rewards and fixes...just look at the success of pharmaceutical companies and the weight loss industry for evidence of that. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week AT THE MOST. Any more than that and the odds of regaining that weight is great.

For myself, this is what I've figured out:
1. My metabolism has decreased because I'm getting older, I quit smoking, and I went off birth control pills (hormones).
2. That I eat WAY TOO MANY calories than I burn in a day
3. That if I want to lose weight I need to create a calorie deficit by eating fewer calories and burning more calories
4. That building muscle increases your metabolism
5. Weight loss requires a lifestyle change (just as quitting smoking requires a lifestyle change - and that didn't kill me Wink)

My strategy is this:
1. Exercise at least 30 minutes/day - 5 x week. To lose fat, I have to do cardio - so I've increased my aerobics to 45 minutes 3x week, and on the other 2 days I lift weights.
2. I've begun recording what I eat every day and the website at fitday.com helps calculate the calories, carbs, fats, vitamins, etc...so I don't have to look that stuff up...it's amazing to actually see what you are eating.
3. Learn what I can about nutrition...what are the daily requirements and recommendations.
4. Learn patience (still working on this Wink)
5. Try to change one thing at a time, instead of all or nothing thinking (of which I think I'm a pro at!)

OH, and a P.S. -- GOING BACK TO SMOKING TO LOSE WEIGHT IS NEVER A GOOD ENOUGH EXCUSE!!

That's it...my plan and my two cents! Smile
Kris
Five months, one week, four days, 7 hours, 54 minutes and 42 seconds. 3286 cigarettes not smoked, saving $657.48. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 9 hours, 50 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: January 19, 2005 3:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed Monday check in too but have been exercising like crazy. We'll actually see on Friday how I did. That's when I weigh in. I'll keep you posted!!! Very Happy Kerry
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: January 20, 2005 10:49 AM    Post subject: Kris Reply with quote

Hey guys get over to www.fitday.com and thanks Kris for finding it. Once you are familiar with the site I believe you will actually strive to make your day as productive as possible. TOM get over there and prior to cooking find what you are eating and check where it fits as to fat carbs and protein. That's under foods and if you have a hard time figuring the site out ask here and Kris and I can help. It also tracks calories burnt and don't panic as we all know we burn calories as we sleep and they put it at zero BUT they work it out of basal somehow so it is counted. You can check if you are getting all your nutrients in a day or week or even more. You can track your progress. I have studied and taught fitness for years and have helped people work out sensible food plans and that has to be the best site I've ever been on since the beginning. Can you tell I'm excited darn I think I've found a new addiction. Wink This site will also help with some of the boredom that comes with Quitting. You can also keep track of your water intake in the foods list once again one awesome site. Thank you Kris

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 20, 2005 8:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using fitday.com also and find it very helpful. Check it out, everyone. We may as well learn about nutrition now that we're free of old Laughing Demon .

Jo
EvilKim

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 24, 2005 9:44 PM    Post subject: muscle vs fat Reply with quote

Your hubby is right! Muscle does weigh more.. ALOT more! If your jeans are easier to button, and you've only lost a pound (very healthy weighloss by the way, i'm so proud of you!!), then honey you are kicking so much ... uh.. donkeys... You'll hit a plateau where you won't see much weight coming off.. maybe only 1 pound every 2 weeks, so start measuring thighs, upper arms, waist and hips with a tape measure. This way you'll still see results that aren't on the scale.
So, uh.. can I join in on the check - ins? i'm supposed to start running soon... and need someone to make fun of me when I don't do what I'm supposed to.. =oD
Kim
1 month

Of course I'm crazy.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 24, 2005 9:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Kim. Everyone's welcome. By the way, I do believe today's Monday AGAIN.

How 'bout it all?

This past week I maintained my weight but my waist is 1" smaller and my clothes don't feel quits so tight. Guess that's progress.

Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: