quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MONDAY - Weight Loss Check-In
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: February 1, 2005 11:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here I am stepping in with the rank and file on this topic that I was planning on dominating. Oh how the mighty have fallen. That'll happen when you disappear for months on end, I guess. Something else happened too - for the first time ever in my life, I am over my max allowable weight for the military. I have never had a weight issue in my life (could it be because I smoked since I was 12 and I love to exercise?), and now I am being punished for not being more sympathetic to those that struggle with weight. This totally sucks, but I deserve it.

I knew it was out of control when I couldn't button my fat jeans. My wardrobe quickly shrank to skirts with elastic waists (love that stuff) and pants I considered throwing out because they were too big two months ago. So here's the plan and the progress:

Without fail - I drag my lazy caboose out of my warm comfy bed at 0445 FIVE days a week and run everyday (sometimes far, sometimes fast, but never both on the same day), lift weights twice a week, 20 minutes of serious abs 5 days, and 3 sets of push ups every day. Yoga at night so I can walk when I get up in the morning.

The food thing was actually a bigger challenge for me since I was already an exercise freak. I had no idea that food tastes GOOD until my tastebuds turned back on. I LIKE FOOD. Therein was the problem. I've resolved to drink the 8 - 10 glasses of water daily, plan my meals ahead of time, and I don't buy snacks anymore (much to the displeasure of the skinny people in my family). The trick for me has been to still live life - have a snack once in a while, etc. I will never live miserably just to be thin, so I guess I like peeing every 20 minutes from all the water. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

So the result - Over the last week I've gone from 144# to 138.5# and I can now button my fat jeans and several pairs of work slacks. I have until Friday to hit 137#. No sweat (or rather - with a lot of sweat). I'm shooting for 125, but I'll be happy with 130 as long as I'm comfortable in my clothes.

Thanks for establishing the accountability thread. I promise my future posts won't be this long - I'm just chatty today.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: February 2, 2005 1:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had your motivation! I have gained 15 pounds! Am not very happy about it! I keep telling myself I WILL NOT CHOOSE TO SMOKE just to get thinner! That is NOT an option.

I just can't seem to get off the sugar! I love my chocolate too much and when someone brings in goodies (cakes, cookies) I have a hard time saying no. I need to do portion control.

I feel I gave up drinking, gave up smoking, why should I have to give up something else! But am feeling very very uncomfortable! Its my midrif that is so big! WHERE DID THIS FAT COME FROM? I am eating the same way I did when I smoked!

So I will keep reading your posts, and one of these days I WILL DO THIS!

Keep up the good work girls!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Vanessa

Quit Date:
March 7, 2004

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 11:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have had my baby and am 6 weeks post partem, I am really feeling the NEED to get back into my healthy lifestyle (I am still eating like I'm pregnant...very bad)! My goal is a pound a week. I started out this week drinking lots of water, next week I am will start cutting calories, and the week after that I will work in some exercise. I will certainly participate in this weight loss endeavor...you guys are quite inspiring!! You'll be sexy before you know it!!

---
11m 1d 1:04 smoke-free, 6,761 cigs not smoked, $1,352.20 saved, 3w 2d 11:25 life saved

Vanessa

Don't accept your current situation as a permanent station in life. You have the power to change. Strive for more.
x_cuesme

Quit Date:
November 22, 2004

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 12:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a GREAT site and this is a GREAT thread-

It's not right- it's an excuse- but I have quit repetitively and started again due to weight gain. I still haven't lost the extra pounds from the last two quits earlier this year (over 2 months and a month) and I'm determined I'm going to make 'the quit' this time- but I realize one of my biggest failure factors is the weight gain.

This adds support for that, too, when I'm really going to need it. I've already jumped over to fitday.com and started a profile- Guess I'm going for a complete life-style maker-over!

Thank you for your help!

x_cuesme

God grant me the patience to take it one day at a time- one moment, if necessary!
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 12:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weighed in on Friday and no loss, no gain. I just maintained. I came down with a horrible flu this weekend and had two teeth pulled on Thursday so I wasn't able to exercise for the last few days. I'm curious to see how this week goes. It seems like everyone is so motivated. Keep up the great work guys! Kerry
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 2:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Kerry, last week brought me no loss but also no gain. I'm still using the treadmill religiously and keeping the calorie count below 1300/day. The one bright spot is that my clothes are more comfortable even though the weight remains the same.

Hope everyone had a successful, healthy week. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 2:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jo maybe we should take our measurements. I always forget to do that. When you exercise, even if the pounds don't show up on the scale, sometimes the tape measure helps. Kerry
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 4:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Kerry. I did check my waist last week and had lost an inch. Think I'll go at it from that standpoint for a while and stop concentrating on the pounds. After all, it's the inches that make the clothes too tight, not necessarily the pounds. Thanks for the reminder.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Dana Rae

Quit Date:
January 22, 2005

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 6:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have gained a total of 10 pounds this past 2 weeks MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well I still have my quit... I better get moving ....sad real sad
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 7:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana Rae don't worry, you're early in your quit. I lost 55 pounds last year and gained about 35 back after I quit smoking. I feel as if I'm starting from scratch. And you're right, the most important thing is the quit. It may be hard to realize that while your gaining (it was for me anyway) but once you get a few more months behind your belt the gain won't matter. You realize that you can always concentrate on that another time.
Dana Rae

Quit Date:
January 22, 2005

PostPosted: February 7, 2005 7:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kerry Very Happy
JamesP

Quit Date:
November 3, 2003

PostPosted: February 22, 2005 1:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Hope it's OK I'm joining the Monday weight loss check-in club. I didn't see a "members only" sign when I walked in, so I assume it'll be OK. Smile

Today is baseline day. I weigh 168.2 pounds and measure 37.5 inches around my middle. Since you all don't have a visual picture, let me give you some context. I am a 5'7" tall man with a medium-sized frame (not small boned) so my ideal weight is about 145. I have no idea what I should measure around the middle -- I'd settle for anything less than 37.5"!

I am following the Eat 4 Life diet. It's hard core. It's vegan, and includes very little fat, nothing salted, and no processed sugar. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, so this is not as bad to me as it might sound to some of you. I also have high cholesterol and BP, so I have other reasons for choosing this diet beside weight loss.

I am also boxing 2-3 times a week and running on my treadmil 2-3 times a week. I hope to stick with all of this and get to my goal sometime in May. If I do, it will be almost as miraculous as when I quit smoking -- I have been trying to do this (off and on) for over two years!!

Thanks for listening! See you next week! Keep the faith!

James

Enjoy your quit -- it's the last one you'll ever have!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: February 22, 2005 1:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to let you know I have gone totally wacko....I am exercising some each day, walking the dogs and spring cleaning in Feb...I am washing walls, cleaning drawers and woodwork, orgainizing the closets...I am taking control and loving it!!!! Laughing Laughing Well, not the cleaning part but the energy and getting MY LIFE in order part!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: February 22, 2005 5:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My weight is so up and down the last few weeks it's hard to keep score. I have been using fitday to track my caloric intake and have come to realize my fat intake is much higher than it should be. Rolling Eyes I have already severely limited my sugar intake (I refuse to elimiate it! Laughing ) and am now working on reducing the fat intake. I am also increasing my daily exercise level. I sit at work, sit in class twice a week, and then sit to study. Do y'all see a pattern here? Laughing I don't know who recommended fitday, but it is really helping. Y'all have a good one. Oh, and welcome JamesP. Glad to have you here! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: February 22, 2005 9:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim you should likely be in the range of about 30 or 32 inches around the waist. Since 37.5 is high for the weight you are now. I assume most of your extra weight is around the middle as 168 is not unreasonable for your height. Try some crunches or ask your doctor for some easy stomach exercises. You will find that they will also strengthen your back muscles and in turn your tummy will not be so round. Loads of men carry weight around the middle it's why they have suspenders just incase you need them now. Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: