quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anger and quitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 27, 2004 10:51 AM    Post subject: Anger and quitting Reply with quote

I have been concerned about all the posts about people struggling with intense anger and how troubling that is for all of you. Also I am a little worried that one day I am going to wake up and be in that same place. So I went back to FFS module 5, psychological recovery and reread it. And I would just ask you to read it. I think (and yes I know I could very well be wrong,) it will make sense. Just read it and see.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 27, 2004 11:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, first of all, please know that the anger people are venting about is not a necessary part of the process of quitting smoking. you are not going to wake up some day and go through some intense anger/rage stage as part of a non smoking module. If you don't have the anger in you, it will not somehow magically manifest itself.

The anger people are venting/feeling is just part of life. We all have it.....in various degrees and stages. For me, smoking was a crutch I used to stifle/mask/show my anger. I even used to think sometimes, when I got angry at someone....I'd think....well, I'll show you...I'll smoke! Mad
How logical was that.

Without the emotional crutch, we just have to deal with life as it is, and our emotions as they are. But you, my dear lady, are not going to turn into a raging angry monster just because you are strong enough to not smoke!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Suzanne

Quit Date:
March 28, 2003

PostPosted: April 27, 2004 12:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol what a wonderful idea... thank you for the gentle reminder!

Suzanne H.
over 1 year breathin' easy

The urge will pass whether you smoke or not!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 27, 2004 1:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, I went and reread it, thanks. I don't think you will just wake up one day and be all angry and stay that way. I went through a angry stage for a few days but I was angry that people were relapsing and angry at the tabacco co. angry that I ever started smoking, but it passed. I think we all can get angry about things going on in our lives but I think we have a choice to make too. Do we stay angry at things we have no control over or do we let it go? I choose to let it go. I don't think it is wrong to feel anger. I think it is wrong to keep it. Smile

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 8:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,
That is a wonderful idea to go back and read that. I think it is perfectly healthy to have anger and I also think yes, you can be angry about quitting. I think it's all part of the healing process...others may not agree though. It's better to get angry and talk about it than to get angry and go smoke a cigarette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: